4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
No mention regarding FHD 3D MVC (mkv and .iso) support. I'm still one of those who consider this as a mus have and deal-breaker if the feature is missing. 

Amlogics +LE KODI: Plays them back only with "half" resolution. So no FHD 3D this time. Have read that it's still fine option for passive 3D LG TVs, but not for Active ones... (Not sure regarding general 3D PQ and cadence). There are some development (or mainly just research at the moment) going on with OSMC to make the FHD 3D output possible, but still in very unsteady phase at this time. 

ATV 4K: No 3D MVC support (yet). Tho' it has been promised by MrMC developers, that they will try to make it work "somehow", but updates are not so convincing so far.

Zidoos: 3D MVC (mkv and .iso) working fine.  (Tho' not 100% sure regarding the point-perfect cadence: se bellow).

HiMEdia Q5 Pro /Q10 Pro: 3D MVC working, tho' just with .iso's only. But will output on 24Hz, so the "41 sec micro stutter" occurs.   

Intel IGPs + Win7/10: Working fine with proper playback software (MPCHC/DSPlayer+MadVR, Power DVD, and with a couple of more), but only on the 1.4a HDMI outs. HDMI 2.0 outs have issues with 3D MVC due the DP->HDMI converter chip.

X86/X64 machine with Win7/10 and Nvidia or AMD Video Cards: 3D MVC working fine in all aspects with playback options mentioned above.

Then this what I've seen missed and find worth to mention: 

Zidoo's: Not so 100% accurate cadence playback and not proper freque switching in some cases, as seen on this list: 
1080p29.97 -> 1080p29.965
720p30 -> 720p24
1080p23.976 -> 1080p23.972
2160p59.94 -> 2160p29.965
2160p23.976 -> 2160p23.972

User tests have also reported frame-dropping as an effect of the above. (But not so many others complain generally regarding the 23.976Hz inaccuracy, so could be also display dependent if it can be detected on a unsettling level).

+The whole omission of the HiMedai Pro devices.:
Q5 Pro /Q10 Pro:

4K+HDR playback, HDR<->SDR conversion working fine. 
PQ is excellent in general. 
No proper auto frequency switching for 25fps->50Hz and 29.97fps-> 59.94Hz interlaced videos (.f.e. TV recordings, PAL/NTSC DVDs, 1080i materials). Manually setting the output to 50Hz (works perfectly) and to 60Hz (there might be some cadence stutter, as not perfectly 59.94Hz) can be a resolution. Otherwise, deinterlacing is working fine and with quite good picture quality. 
FHD 3D MVC: no mkv, only .iso format supported. And plays back on 24Hz rather on the proper 23.976Hz. 
All other freque switching (non-interlaced 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30) working fine and cadence perfect.   
For all of this, the stock HiMedai Player must be used (optionally called from KODI with the Wrapper solution). KODI has many issues with playback on these Boxes, but fine for Media Browser/Library with Wrapper activated.  
Imprex Engine can generate gamma flickering issues with some cases.-> Easily can be solved by turning the Imprex entirely off. No need for this feature for the excellent PQ anyways.
Edit: CEC functions are not implemented at all, and the Box might cause interference in the CEC/ARC communication of the other devices in the chain (f.e. AVR<->TV). This can easily be solved with a CEC-Less HDMI cable, or a -relatively cheap- CEC-Less HDMI adapter. Or there's a DIY method, by manually blocking the 13.pin in the HDMI cable connector (only if you know what you're doing and At Your Own Risk).  
Audio: All main audio formats, including all current HD 7.1 passthrough working fine. Tho' some have reported issues with DTS-HD HRA format passthrough on certain AVRs (mostly on some Onkyos). HRA is a relatively rare format, and the issue was solved to many users by an AVR firmware update.  This occasional issue doesn't concern DTS-HDMA, or any other Dolby/DTS + HD formats at all.   

All of this info collected from this and other relevant forum users experiences (the HiMedai part mainly from my owns). If I might were somewhere not exactly accurate or wrote any that's technically un-correct or that has been fixed/altered since, than please wrote the rectification with the proper info's.

Edit: Ok, sorry, but I've juts detected subsequently that this Thread is dedicated specially for 4K/HDR playback info's. Tho' by my opinion it might would be useful to expand the syllabus of the Thread, so info's regarding also the 3D MVC and the freque switching/cadence issues could be covered and more easily found in one simple Thread... 

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - by Mount81 - 2018-06-04, 12:06
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209