• 2(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
No mention regarding FHD 3D MVC (mkv and .iso) support. I'm still one of those who consider this as a mus have and deal-breaker if the feature is missing. 

Amlogics +LE KODI: Plays them back only with "half" resolution. So no FHD 3D this time. Have read that it's still fine option for passive 3D LG TVs, but not for Active ones... (Not sure regarding general 3D PQ and cadence). There are some development (or mainly just research at the moment) going on with OSMC to make the FHD 3D output possible, but still in very unsteady phase at this time. 

ATV 4K: No 3D MVC support (yet). Tho' it has been promised by MrMC developers, that they will try to make it work "somehow", but updates are not so convincing so far.

Zidoos: 3D MVC (mkv and .iso) working fine.  (Tho' not 100% sure regarding the point-perfect cadence: se bellow).

HiMEdia Q5 Pro /Q10 Pro: 3D MVC working, tho' just with .iso's only. But will output on 24Hz, so the "41 sec micro stutter" occurs.   

Intel IGPs + Win7/10: Working fine with proper playback software (MPCHC/DSPlayer+MadVR, Power DVD, and with a couple of more), but only on the 1.4a HDMI outs. HDMI 2.0 outs have issues with 3D MVC due the DP->HDMI converter chip.

X86/X64 machine with Win7/10 and Nvidia or AMD Video Cards: 3D MVC working fine in all aspects with playback options mentioned above.

Then this what I've seen missed and find worth to mention: 

Zidoo's: Not so 100% accurate cadence playback and not proper freque switching in some cases, as seen on this list: 
1080p29.97 -> 1080p29.965
720p30 -> 720p24
1080p23.976 -> 1080p23.972
2160p59.94 -> 2160p29.965
2160p23.976 -> 2160p23.972

User tests have also reported frame-dropping as an effect of the above. (But not so many others complain generally regarding the 23.976Hz inaccuracy, so could be also display dependent if it can be detected on a unsettling level).

+The whole omission of the HiMedai Pro devices.:
Q5 Pro /Q10 Pro:

4K+HDR playback, HDR<->SDR conversion working fine. 
PQ is excellent in general. 
No proper auto frequency switching for 25fps->50Hz and 29.97fps-> 59.94Hz interlaced videos (.f.e. TV recordings, PAL/NTSC DVDs, 1080i materials). Manually setting the output to 50Hz (works perfectly) and to 60Hz (there might be some cadence stutter, as not perfectly 59.94Hz) can be a resolution. Otherwise, deinterlacing is working fine and with quite good picture quality. 
FHD 3D MVC: no mkv, only .iso format supported. And plays back on 24Hz rather on the proper 23.976Hz. 
All other freque switching (non-interlaced 23.976, 24, 25, 29.97, 30) working fine and cadence perfect.   
For all of this, the stock HiMedai Player must be used (optionally called from KODI with the Wrapper solution). KODI has many issues with playback on these Boxes, but fine for Media Browser/Library with Wrapper activated.  
Imprex Engine can generate gamma flickering issues with some cases.-> Easily can be solved by turning the Imprex entirely off. No need for this feature for the excellent PQ anyways.
Edit: CEC functions are not implemented at all, and the Box might cause interference in the CEC/ARC communication of the other devices in the chain (f.e. AVR<->TV). This can easily be solved with a CEC-Less HDMI cable, or a -relatively cheap- CEC-Less HDMI adapter. Or there's a DIY method, by manually blocking the 13.pin in the HDMI cable connector (only if you know what you're doing and At Your Own Risk).  
Audio: All main audio formats, including all current HD 7.1 passthrough working fine. Tho' some have reported issues with DTS-HD HRA format passthrough on certain AVRs (mostly on some Onkyos). HRA is a relatively rare format, and the issue was solved to many users by an AVR firmware update.  This occasional issue doesn't concern DTS-HDMA, or any other Dolby/DTS + HD formats at all.   

All of this info collected from this and other relevant forum users experiences (the HiMedai part mainly from my owns). If I might were somewhere not exactly accurate or wrote any that's technically un-correct or that has been fixed/altered since, than please wrote the rectification with the proper info's.

Edit: Ok, sorry, but I've juts detected subsequently that this Thread is dedicated specially for 4K/HDR playback info's. Tho' by my opinion it might would be useful to expand the syllabus of the Thread, so info's regarding also the 3D MVC and the freque switching/cadence issues could be covered and more easily found in one simple Thread... 
(2018-06-04, 12:06)Mount81 Wrote: No mention regarding FHD 3D MVC (mkv and .iso) support. I'm still one of those who consider this as a mut have and deal-breaker if the feature is missing....

...Edit: Ok, sorry, but I've juts detected subsequently that this Thread is dedicated specially for 4K/HDR playback info's. Tho' by my opinion it might would be useful to expand the syllabus of the Thread, so info's regarding also the 3D MVC and the frequency switching / cadence issues could be covered and more easily found in one simple Thread... 
Thanks for the above info. Especially the HiMedia Q5/10 stuff that I did not gather up.

Yep this is a dedicated 4K HDR10 thread. I really do not want to turn it into "yet another" 3D discussion thread and I will be deleting any further 3D related posts.
If users want an up to date "3D - State of Play thread" someone should start another dedicated one in the main Hardware forum and it can be then made a sticky thread.

Just make sure whomever starts the 3D thread keeps on top of it, by updating the 1st post. Wink

(2018-06-04, 16:18)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-06-04, 12:06)Mount81 Wrote:  
Thanks for the above info. Especially the HiMedia Q5/10 stuff that I did not gather up.

Yep this is a dedicated 4K HDR10 thread. I really do not want to turn it into "yet another" 3D discussion thread and I will be deleting any further 3D related posts.
If users want an up to date "3D - State of Play thread" someone should start another dedicated one in the main Hardware forum and it can be then made a sticky thread.

Just make sure whomever starts the 3D thread keeps on top of it, by updating the 1st post. Wink 
 I have did a quick edit in the HiMedia section of my post, with info's that might also be important.  

I may also would try and take on with the separate 3D MVC dedicated thread. Tho' i don't have much more important info just jet other than I've already shared here, but should be enough for a good Thread starter post.
Aside from 3D capabilities, and keeping the discussion limited to devices that offer 4k HDR10, dedicated video cards offer unlimited capabilities in a Windows environment covering every aspect playing this format.  They shine for users who prefer using their own content and demand high quality and versatility with some interest in setting it up.  Fortunately there are 'how to' guides all over the internet making the procedure simple and effective.  Now that bitcoin mining is less of a demand on video card sales, the prices are once again becoming reasonable and more on par with shelf bought devices.  Of course the cheaper end of shelf bought devices can't be compared but you get what you pay for.... or not.

Most, if not all streaming devices, have limitations of one sort or another.  They do offer more plug and play readiness with little setup.  For this convenience, many limitations are introduced and the trade off is based on each users demands.  Highest quality and versatility has not been met to date.  These devices are very harmonious with content that you pay to stream and often developed to synchronize accordingly.  Streamed content is lower quality than original content.  Given the amounts invested in displays, audio systems, environments, etc., players and sources should be considered and not just if it has capabilities to play 4k HDR10 or not.  For those without high quality demands and don't mind limitations, these devices will suffice.  This thread is to sort those limitations.  My contribution here is to include another device in the list (dedicated video cards in a Windows environment) offering unlimited highest quality and versatility available keeping in mind paid streaming content to begin with is low quality and better matched with less demanding devices.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Apple have announced the Apple TV 4K will be getting Dolby Atmos audio.  (I'm guessing this is the lossy DD+ with Atmos rather than the lossless Dolby True True HD with Atmos - so good news for streaming services, less so for Blu-ray rips?)
Hoping (fingers crossed) it's true bitstream of full ATMOS (and DTS:X working as a bonus); wishful thinking I know.
Well that's good news then, I always suspected some sort of Atmos support was coming because the ATV 4K already had DolbyVision support.

Apple TV 4K delivers highest quality cinematic experience with tvOS 12 (Click)

I don't follow the logic of disabling passthrough in the latest update, then announcing Atmos support in the upcoming, I must say...
ATV 4K + Atmos: Maybe it will be only work with the online streaming playback (Netflix, iTunes), but not at all for local playback. Just like in the case of DV.
Well, doesn't change much as far as the connection between ATV and AVR goes, but yeah, nobody knows currently, afaik
From what I've heard, Atmos on the ATV 4K is only going to be E-AC3-JOC.
Forum Rules (wiki) | Banned add-ons (wiki) | Wiki (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
Which is probably good enough for Joe Public with his non theatre setup consisting of an OLED DolbyVision display and his "Atmos" labelled and marketed soundbar / basic AVR.
Most people just want Plug and Play and marketing bragging rights whereby near enough is good enough.

In that scenario (using an AVR setup) could you even hear the difference between Atmos EAC3/DD+ vs full spec HD Atmos audio ?

With a Soundbar (which are basically hilarious for any surround and HD audio with their tiny speakers and that "virtual" marketing whatever), one will probably max out their chances with DD and DTS already. But with a fine, even entry level AVR and proper, quality 7.1 speaker setup i guess there's no way you wouldn't snap to attention by the SQ differences, even in just the case of DD+ Atmos. (My opinion is that even the possibilities of DD and DTS are far beyond the capabilities of any -even more expensive- soundbar. My question would be rather, that why would you want Atmos (or just any surround or HD audio) on a one-piece narrow rod anyway? Get rather a quality 2.0 speaker set -for the price of your soundbar- and you probably still will heave more craft, space, detail and clarity in your SQ, than a soundbar would be ever capable of.)
THIS...
(2018-06-10, 07:18)Mount81 Wrote: With a Soundbar (which are basically hilarious for any surround and HD audio with their tiny speakers and that "virtual" marketing whatever), one will probably max out their chances with DD and DTS already. But with a fine, even entry level AVR and proper, quality 7.1 speaker setup i guess there's no way you wouldn't snap to attention by the SQ differences, even in just the case of DD+ Atmos. (My opinion is that even the possibilities of DD and DTS are far beyond the capabilities of any -even more expensive- soundbar. My question would be rather, that why would you want Atmos (or just any surround or HD audio) on a one-piece narrow rod anyway? Get rather a quality 2.0 speaker set -for the price of your soundbar- and you probably still will heave more craft, space, detail and clarity in your SQ, than a soundbar would be ever capable of.)

Soundbars are really just considered a way of mitigating the terrible sound quality of very thin displays, rather than as a home theatre replacement.

They may improve the frequency range performance - but they struggle to deliver a decent stereo image, let alone surround, and the virtual surround always sounds very phasey and fake to me compared to a basic 5.0 or 5.1 system.
Nevermind - just realised this was not contributing to this forum..
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209