• 10(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
Yup
"Intel Windows 7 or latter and a Nvidia or AMD GPU with 2GB of VRAM and 10bit HEVC hardware decoding + Kodi DSPlayer build (Jarvis or Krypton)"

Can you change this to:

"Microsoft Windows 7 or later with a Nvidia or AMD GPU that supports 10-bit HEVC hardware decoding + Kodi DSPlayer build (Jarvis or Krypton). For HDR10 content alone: Any official Kodi Windows build combined with an external media player that supports madVR, such as Media Player Classic."

You also have an extra bullet at the top of your post that doesn't need to be there.
(2018-10-20, 19:17)Warner306 Wrote: "Intel Windows 7 or latter and a Nvidia or AMD GPU with 2GB of VRAM and 10bit HEVC hardware decoding + Kodi DSPlayer build (Jarvis or Krypton)"

Can you change this to:

"Microsoft Windows 7 or later with a Nvidia or AMD GPU that supports 10-bit HEVC hardware decoding + Kodi DSPlayer build (Jarvis or Krypton). For HDR10 content alone: Any official Kodi Windows build combined with an external media player that supports madVR, such as Media Player Classic."
Thx, updated Smile

EDIT Just clarifying what HDR10 content alone means ?
Is this just a standard Windows Kodi + external player mentioned running on Intel compatible HDR10 capable hardware ?

Quote:You also have an extra bullet at the top of your post that doesn't need to be there.
LOL
I did not know first person shooters had 3D bullets that emanated that far from the TV screen !
Bullet proof vest time !

(2018-10-21, 09:46)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2018-10-20, 19:17)Warner306 Wrote:  
Quote: 
EDIT Just clarifying what HDR10 content alone means ?
Is this just a standard Windows Kodi + external player mentioned running on Intel compatible HDR10 capable hardware ?  
Yes, the first part is correct.

The "2GB of VRAM" does not need to be there. The best and close to cheapest option is an AMD Ryzen 5 2400G, which doesn't have any VRAM. Also, there is no current gen GPU with less than 2GB of VRAM.

And "latter" should be "later."
And any self experience or some HTPC tests with the 2400G yet? How does it hold up with some MadVR enhancing and quality SD->FHA, SD->4K, FHD->4K up and 4K->FHD downscalling? MadVR would surely utilize some good and fast memory/VRAM for anything above lowest settings.
I've bought a 2400G to get 4K HDR feature on my TV.
I'm running on debian testing with the lasted kodi compiled.
still can't get HDR detected by the TV. is it a way to findout 
mode 2160p@60hz not detected.
let me know if you want me to run some test.

here is the output of vainfo :
Code:

libva info: VA-API version 1.3.0
libva info: va_getDriverName() returns 0
libva info: Trying to open /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/dri/radeonsi_drv_video.so
libva info: Found init function __vaDriverInit_1_2
libva info: va_openDriver() returns 0
vainfo: VA-API version: 1.3 (libva 2.2.0)
vainfo: Driver version: Mesa Gallium driver 18.1.7 for AMD RAVEN (DRM 3.27.0, 4.19.0-rc7-amd64, LLVM 6.0.1)
vainfo: Supported profile and entrypoints
      VAProfileMPEG2Simple            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileMPEG2Main              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Simple              : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Main                : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVC1Advanced            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264ConstrainedBaseline: VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264Main               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileH264High               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileHEVCMain               : VAEntrypointEncSlice
      VAProfileHEVCMain10             : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile0            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileVP9Profile2            : VAEntrypointVLD
      VAProfileNone                   : VAEntrypointVideoProc
(2018-10-22, 10:18)jaoued Wrote: I've bought a 2400G to get 4K HDR feature on my TV.
I'm running on debian testing with the lasted kodi compiled.
still can't get HDR detected by the TV. is it a way to findout 
mode 2160p@60hz not detected.
let me know if you want me to run some test.
I'm not familiar with Linux, but as far as I know HDR is still not implemented in the Linux kerner, so there's still no way to play HDR content on Linux. I guess it's still the same with Libre Elec. So the only viable way yet is still Win10+MPCHC (or DSPlayer)+MadVR. And I have read recently that the latest KODI Leia version (still beta) also can play now HDR, but also only on Windows.
(2018-10-22, 06:14)Mount81 Wrote: And any self experience or some HTPC tests with the 2400G yet? How does it hold up with some MadVR enhancing and quality SD->FHA, SD->4K, FHD->4K up and 4K->FHD downscalling? MadVR would surely utilize some good and fast memory/VRAM for anything above lowest settings.
 You wouldn't want to do any 4K -> 1080p downscaling of 10-bit content with HDR tone mapping. It works fine for native 4K 30 fps content, as good as the GT 1030. Only the most basic settings apply in both cases when it comes to any upscaling.
Feel free to add link http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=229692 or https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2616287 to section "Custom HDR10 Kodi: Any official Kodi Windows build combined with an external media player that supports madVR, such as Media Player Classic" if you deem it appropriate especially as KODI v.18 approaches.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
But you can do evaluable 4K->FHD downscaling along with HDR->SDR conversion. And there are also lots of originally 4K/SDR materials as well that look in many cases better on a FHD display than the FHD version, if decent downcalling happens. But I guess this latter would be the less resource demanding.
(2018-10-22, 18:50)Mount81 Wrote: But you can do evaluable 4K->FHD downscaling along with HDR->SDR conversion. And there are also lots of originally 4K/SDR materials as well that look in many cases better on a FHD display than the FHD version, if decent downcalling happens. But I guess this latter would be the less resource demanding.
 Yes - high-quality downscaling is non-trivial, as you have to filter out alias artefacts.
i have found that the formuler z7+ plays every file that i have "found" (*cough* mouse click internet discount *cough*) , on it in HDR if the file should be i.e. 4k files...  . do not know if it passes all of the audio versions ... i do not know of a way to prove it, just that the audio plays...... (but it plays the "HEVC.DTS-HD.MA.TrueHD.7.1.Atmos" files, whereas the ruko ultra, does not and defaults to ac3 i think)
also the dreamlink t2 plays 4k HDR, but it stutters so it is moot point.
Why Ryzen 2400G is marked as best HDR capable CPU for x86 and not 2200G?

~HomeDope
The extra power is useful for 4K media on Windows. The GT 1030 is probably on the same level.
Hi,

Browsing the thread, I am right in thinking that there is still no 4k hdr10 player with correct switching of frame rate and atmos etc pass through? I have an Intel nuc that I am pleased with - do the newer ones not support the above?

Thanks in advance
  • 10(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209