• 11(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2018-11-09, 19:14)pinn Wrote: Hi,

Browsing the thread, I am right in thinking that there is still no 4k hdr10 player with correct switching of frame rate and atmos etc pass through? I have an Intel nuc that I am pleased with - do the newer ones not support the above?

Thanks in advance
 AMLogic S905X/D and S912 devices do HDR10 2160/60p with frame rate switching and HD Audio bitstream/passthrough output (including DTS:X and Dolby True HD + Atmos passthrough) AIUI - either running LibreElec or the Vero 4K or 4K+ running OSMC.
(2018-11-09, 19:25)noggin Wrote:

Browsing the thread, I am right in thinking that there is still no 4k hdr10 player with correct switching of frame rate and atmos etc pass through? I have an Intel nuc that I am pleased with - do the newer ones not support the above?

Thanks in advance
 AMLogic S905X/D and S912 devices do HDR10 2160/60p with frame rate switching and HD Audio bitstream/passthrough output (including DTS:X and Dolby True HD + Atmos passthrough) AIUI - either running LibreElec or the Vero 4K or 4K+ running OSMC. 
 Hi,

I've stayed away from Andoid boxes as I run my media from multiple (3) ext HDDs which I believe ANdroid has issues with. As I understand , some of these boxes can dual boot with libreelec but I am unsure about the extra steps that this would require compared to a plug n play solution. Also, I am running sabnzbd/sonarr/radarr on my NUC which I imagine do not run under libre - is that the case?

Thanks
(2018-11-10, 10:23)pinn Wrote:
(2018-11-09, 19:25)noggin Wrote:

Thanks in advance
 Hi,

I've stayed away from Andoid boxes as I run my media from multiple (3) ext HDDs which I believe ANdroid has issues with. As I understand , some of these boxes can dual boot with libreelec but I am unsure about the extra steps that this would require compared to a plug n play solution. Also, I am running sabnzbd/sonarr/radarr on my NUC which I imagine do not run under libre - is that the case?

Thanks 

My Shield TV is fine with more than 2 HDDs connected under Android TV - but I don't use other Android boxes. LibreElec is a cut-down Linux distro optimised for Kodi so works fine with multiple HDDs. There are plugins for common additional Linux apps/services like a TV Headend backend, but I can't comment on file sharing plug-ins as they are usually use to share copyright content illegally.
Hi! Slightly noob here, tried to process as much information as I could, but I still could use some recommendations please Smile
My situation: wanna stream 4K fancy content from my NAS to my Tv/whatever, over gigabit ethernet of course. Looking for a powerful enough box to do it with, I am not afraid of some DYI work either. Should I just get a vero 4k+ and be done with it, or are there better boxes for the price? I read somewhere that its not the fastest thing ever...
cheers
(2018-11-11, 14:34)hopchop Wrote: Hi! Slightly noob here, tried to process as much information as I could, but I still could use some recommendations please Smile
My situation: wanna stream 4K fancy content from my NAS to my Tv/whatever, over gigabit ethernet of course. Looking for a powerful enough box to do it with, I am not afraid of some DYI work either. Should I just get a vero 4k+ and be done with it, or are there better boxes for the price? I read somewhere that its not the fastest thing ever...
cheers
Do you have an HDR display? Do you need to play HDR UHD content on SDR UHD or HD displays ? (If so you need a solution that does decent HDR->SDR tone mapping)

Do you only want to stream content from a NAS - no Netflix/Amazon?
Thanks for the response. Don't actually have one yet, but the plan is getting a 4K HDR tv, yes, and to stream BD 4K movies to the tv from the NAS (my bad, don't know about the availability of rippable/downloadable HDR movies but whatever). To answer the question, i guess no need to play HDR UHD content on non HDR displays. Netflix/Youtube/HBOGO/whatever would be a nice bonus, but it does not matter really, NAS is the main priority. Thanks! (Also read about the Amlogic S912 boxes, seem good)
Hello;
First of all let me start by saying English is NOT my native language so please remember that.

Ok my “problem”, i´m using a minix neo u1 with librelec and kodi 17.6, the “problem” is when I try watching 4k movies on a oled lg c8, all the colors seems washed out.

An example;

1080p Source;

And now the same movie in 4k;

Is this a limitation of kodi, librelec, my box, what?

Is there anything i can do?

Thanks in advance.
From Post #1...
(AMLogic) S905 chipsets do not support HDR. The MINIX U1 has a S905 chipset.

(2018-11-23, 17:46)wrxtasy Wrote: From Post #1...
 Thank you so much for your reply.

So quick question if i buy the minix neo u9-h "ím good to go"?

Thank you.
(2018-11-23, 18:46)jimmcy Wrote:
(2018-11-23, 17:46)wrxtasy Wrote: From Post #1...
 Thank you so much for your reply.

So quick question if i buy the minix neo u9-h "ím good to go"?

Thank you.

Yes.

I guess you can still turn on HDR to SDR conversion in KODI. Not perfect and not HDR, but better than the washed out colors.
Hi Guys,

brought a new 4k HDR Oled and now its time to build a kodi system to use 4k HDR.

The Movie files are on a file server running Emby.

The new device should be connected to my AVR and to TV (when possible 2 HDMI ports - because my AVR is not capable of Dolby Vision passtrough - one port for Video to TV and one for Audio to AVR)

Actualy i am using a Windows HTPC and would prefer to do this again.

Need all Sound Formats incl. Dolby Atmos and DTS X.

HDR to SDR or something like that is not needed. Just one Display device.

I am able to build a DIY System if thats the best way. Which suggestions you have for me?

As i see until now the Shield seems to be only good solution for this?

Kind regards
(2018-11-25, 14:07)dilu Wrote: Hi Guys,

brought a new 4k HDR Oled and now its time to build a kodi system to use 4k HDR.

The Movie files are on a file server running Emby.

The new device should be connected to my AVR and to TV (when possible 2 HDMI ports - because my AVR is not capable of Dolby Vision passtrough - one port for Video to TV and one for Audio to AVR)

Actualy i am using a Windows HTPC and would prefer to do this again.

Need all Sound Formats incl. Dolby Atmos and DTS X.

HDR to SDR or something like that is not needed. Just one Display device.

I am able to build a DIY System if thats the best way. Which suggestions you have for me?

As i see until now the Shield seems to be only good solution for this?

Kind regards
 If you are using a PC then you won't have an issue with DolbyVision - as no PC currently supports it AFAIK - so you can use a single port and route through your AVR as normal.  AIUI Netflix on Windows is still HDR10 at best.

If you want Netflix and Amazon Prime in HDR Dolby Vision then you may be better off with an Apple TV 4K as a subscription-box - and run MrMC (a highly modified Krypton fork that is App Store friendly). The ATV4K won't have dual HDMI outputs - so you'd need an HD Fury device to split your audio I suspect. Not cheap.   Some UHD BD players MAY do DV Netflix and Amazon and some do have dual HDMI outputs (one for video, one for audio). They won't run Kodi though.

Kodi is really HDR10 only on all platforms at the moment (there is no HLG or DV/HDR10+ support AFAIK) but if you split any Netflix/Amazon requirements away then you could go for Windows or an AMLogic Linux (Libre/CoreElec or OSMC) solution I guess. The Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K is looking promising (and does Amazon Prime Video in DV, but I'm not sure about Netflix), but like most Android solutions has significant limitations in some areas (HD Audio, Deinterlacing etc.)
i am not using Amazon Prime or Netflix.

But wanted to use iso files with Dolby Vision.

So upgrading my media pc to an AMD Athlon 200GE should work for me?

Would like to use an Intel NUC but someone told me that 4k 60hz HDR is not working with them?
(2018-11-25, 14:55)dilu Wrote: i am not using Amazon Prime or Netflix.

But wanted to use iso files with Dolby Vision.

So upgrading my media pc to an AMD Athlon 200GE should work for me?

Would like to use an Intel NUC but someone told me that 4k 60hz HDR is not working with them?

No it will not work.

Unless something has very recently changed, you cannot playback .iso DV HDR Bluray Rips on any Kodi capable media player and get DV HDR output.
It's all locked up real tight by Dolby themselves. You have to use Legit, DV licensed hardware AND very specific DV profile - capable playback software to handle the seperate DV metadata track.

You would likely get the usual UHD HDR10 stream however from an DV .iso

I believe there are Oppo UHD Bluray DV capable players that may be able to playback DV .iso's and output DV HDR.

Further info in THIS (click) thread

• 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209