• 13(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
It would be great to add Z9S and CoreELEC. I think both are very reliable regarding to HDR support "out of the box".
so im not sure if this is the right place to post this but i just wanted to add my experience with 4k hdr in kodi jarvis.

so basically i have a windows 10 machine with a nvidia 1070, i have my computer connected to a yamaha tsr 7850 via high speed hdmi cable which outputs to a sony 65x930c

So when i turn on hdr under the display settings the tv wll auto switch to hdr mode, and will not allow me to change the video settings from hdr mode (which is normal when playing hdr content) when i turn off hdr in display settings the tv will auto switch back to cinema home (previous display mode)

if I have hdr turned on when i start up kodi full screen, the computer switches back to non hdr mode, i know this becuase the tv auto switches to whatever video mode i was using before switching to hdr (cinema home) however i can manually change the display mode to hdr mode.

when playing back hdr content i have to manually change the video mode on my tv to hdr mode and make sure my color setting is set to bt2020 in the tv settings, the tv actually lets you set which color space you want to be in. (theres auto, srgb/bt709, dci, bt2020 

manually setting the tv to hdr and manually setting bt202 looks exactly the same as playing the same content through infuse on the apple tv4k, which autoswitches into hdr mode on my tv (doesnt let me switch out of hdr mode) and if i leave the color space in auto it will choose the correct color space when playing back hdr (bt2020) and non hdr (bt709) content 

it seems that i get the same results even i dont turn on hdr mode in windows, at least when using kodi. I beleive this is because once i go full screen in kodi, windows detects the program doest use hdr and just turns off hdr mode in display settings. 
If i leave kodi on "use fullscreen window" and i turn on hdrmode in windows display setting, my tv stays in forced hdr mode, and all hdr videos in kodi dont look correct, colors are washed out and black levels are gone.

i do all this whenever i want to watch a movie with an atmos track as i have atmos speakers.

first my computer is set to hdr mode in display settings. usually just leave this on as i sometimes play hdr games
then i turn on kodi
manually switch to hdr mode in tv picture settings
make sure that bt2020 is selected as color space in color section of picture settings
at this point the kodi interface looks super saturated (im assuming becuase the interface is actually graded for srgb/bt709)
once i play a movie everything looks great and i get atmos audio

if i dont want to do all that i just play through enfuse on the apple tv 4k which auto switches hdr mode on my tv and auto selects the correct color space, i just have to deal with no tru atmos sound. i can set the receiver to nueral x but its not the same, not by a long shot. Ive done a ton of testing switching back and forth.

Also in case you were wondering about atmos on the appletv4k i tested gaurdians of the galaxy 2 and compared the netflix atmos track to the tru 4k atmos track and aside from the true bluray track sounding louder (at -20) on my receiver, the detail was basically the same i just had to add about 6 decibels when playing on netflix to get the same volume. so streaming atmos isnt bad at all, at least on that movie.
Pretty sure HDR isn't even supported in Jarvis. Also if you're forcing HDR mode it's probably just 'fake' SDR to HDR mapping.
Removed. This post fell victim to the art of ignoring.
I have achieved good 4k 10bit playback on intel nuc6cayh using this build. But anything after it gives me choppy video/audio (even tho the cpu is not on full)

http://milhouse.libreelec.tv/builds/mast...f93f94.tar

can anyone try it and report back
Hi!

I have used kodi and XBMC for years on a Raspberry. I have now and LG Oled C8 and the Plex app on the TV it's very problematic, so i have switched again to Kodi.

I'm using Nvidia Shield TV, it's a pain in the ass the resolution and color space change manually for HDR and non HDR content, but it's works fine.

In the first post of this topic, says "This thread needs to be read - comparing Apple TV 4K vs Shield vs Intel - Why is 4K (Shield) image quality bad ? (click)". I have readed the entire topic and i cannot found any interesting info, only some individual thoughts and some Apple fanboy, but any direct test or proof.

I cannot see (on same file) any differences on quality or color between direct play on TV and Nvidia Shield with Kodi, so maybe it's time to reevaluate this info, because i was not sure of use Nvidia Shield only for that sentence, but appears to be not true.

In the other hand, it's a pain in the ass the resolution change, and i use Shield for gamestream, so i'm thinking to switch to Fire Stick or Vero 4K only for play movies, or maybe another, which one have the best quality image?

Thank you!
The last Shield update fixed colour space switching.
(2019-01-23, 10:32)Hitcher Wrote: The last Shield update fixed colour space switching.

Yes and it's why I did this....
  • Oreo - Colorspace issues still being reported when used with a variety of 4K HDR displays, see HERE and HERE for details.
    Should be Fixed by now with Shield FW 7.2.2 update (click)

Kodi Leia on the Shield now has auto Resolution switching to ulitise superior 4K TV hardware picture upscaling when playing non 4K content.
But that is only for Kodi, other Apps will still have to deal with poor NVIDIA picture upscaling of non 4K content.

I don't think the LG C8 even had issues with video bt.709 > bt.2020 colorspace conversion and it's subsequent display to begin with anyway.

(2019-01-23, 10:55)wrxtasy Wrote: I don't think the LG C8 even had issues with video bt.709 > bt.2020 colorspace conversion and it's subsequent display to begin with anyway. 

I don't think it's anything significantly to do with BT709>BT2020 gamut conversion is it? The problem with the previous nVidia approach was more that some TVs didn't handle BT2020 SDR content correctly (whether this was the result of 709 SDR->2020 SDR conversion or was 2020 SDR native?)  In other words Rec 709 SDR correctly mapped to Rec 2020 SDR was displayed differently to Rec 709 SDR fed directly?  (Possibly due to BT.1886 vs BT.709 power-law gamma handling?)
(2019-01-08, 22:09)Gedeon30 Wrote: It would be great to add Z9S and CoreELEC. I think both are very reliable regarding to HDR support "out of the box".
Yes, Zidoo’s entire X-series and Z-series support HDR properly, color space/refresh rate/resolution switching, and as of latest f/w 2.1.22 for X and 2.1.30 for Z, finally proper framerates across the board (1080p, 3D MVC and 4K).
Greetings!
Currently I am running Kodi in Windows 10 env with Vega64 +Ryzen2700x, but I am looking for an android box or similar (some s912 EC or Zidoo z9) becasue hdr is a mess on windows and there is no auto res switch by default (I want the lg c8 to scale up).
Assuming very high bitrate top remux sources:
- will be the picture quality the same?
- will I lose something?
Do you guys have any experience with that?
(2019-02-08, 23:19)Tyborrex Wrote: Greetings!
Currently I am running Kodi in Windows 10 env with Vega64 +Ryzen2700x, but I am looking for an android box or similar (some s912 EC or Zidoo z9) becasue hdr is a mess on windows and there is no auto res switch by default (I want the lg c8 to scale up).
- will I lose something?
Considering you have a Vega64 and Windows 10 have you considered Kodi DSplayer w/madvr?   Nothing will touch madvr when it comes to upscaling to 4k.

You could also use Kodi with an external player that uses madvr.    Unless something changed for the 2018 LGs there's nothing special about their upscaler.   Sure its better than a Nvidia shield and cheap boxes - not so sure it's better than a PC and definitely not one running madvr.
(2019-02-08, 23:19)Tyborrex Wrote: Greetings!
- will I lose something?

Now that we see a bunch of Kodi capable media players able to do auto colorspace/resolution and refresh rate switching, the next area of concern is passing correct MaxCLL/FALL HDR Infoframe data.

Why is MaxCLL/FALL HDR Infoframe data important ? - click HERE for a simple explanation.

There is a bunch of good info from @noggin about that in https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2805209

A/V Pro - Audio / Video Glossary (click)

I will have to add MaxCLL/FALL info to Post #1 of this thread...
What I do know so far is...

Correct - MaxCLL/FALL HDR Infoframe data output ?:

Intel / AMD X86_64 - YES if using a custom Windows Kodi v19 build from https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=345566 & 4K capable Nvidia GPU

ODROID N2 - YES - see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2862766

AMLogic S922X / A311D / S905X2 / S905X3 / S905Y2 devices - YES

Amazon 2019 FireTV Cube - YES - very likely due to AML S922Z chipset

NVIDIA Shield - YES - see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2805253

HiMedia Q10 Pro - YES looks like. See HERE (click)

Zidoo X series - Maybe, looking at the FW 2.1.4 (click) release. Read from that post onwards.

Zidoo Z series - YES, see https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2882052

Amazon FireTV 4K Stick - Maybe if someone analyses HDMI Infoframe data.

Intel / AMD X86_64 - NO for Linux Kodi, No for Windows Kodi Leia.

RPi4b - NO - not until Kodi v19 M arrives, likely late 2020 - see the OSMC forum (click) for more info.

Rockchip devices - NO - see THIS post (click)

Vero 4K+ and older AMLogic S9xx chipset media players - NO

Apple TV 4K - NO for Infuse and MrMC Apps - but i believe it works for other DolbyVision capable Apps like Netflix and iTunes.

(2019-02-17, 12:37)wrxtasy Wrote: Apple TV 4K - NO for Infuse and MrMC Apps - but i believe it works for other DolbyVision capable Apps like Netflix and iTunes. 

Dolby Vision content won't use MaxCLL/FALL metadata as DV has its own dynamic HDR metadata system. (MaxCLL/FALL is really an HDR10 static metadata requirement, DV has dynamic metadata which can be set shot-by-shot or even frame-by-frame I believe)

HDR10, non-DolbyVision, Netflix/iTunes/Amazon content played on the ATV 4K will need correct MaxCLL/FALL metadata to be passed through for optimum display quality, and I believe this is the case.
Based on what I found at this date :

Xiami Mi Box + USB3 = 106$ (90 + 16)
Vero 4+ = 160$
Amawon Fire Stick + USB3 = 112$ (96 + 16)
Nvidia shield TV = 170$
Apple TV 4k = 179$

Too complex to list the AMLogic devices
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Android TV
  • 13(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209