4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2019-06-19, 23:42)DarkSphere00 Wrote: Hello,

I need some help choosing my media player.
I'm sorry if I'm asking something that you've probably been asked so many times, but although I'm learning much about this I still am far from being able to decide without asking for help.

My use case is very specific: I need to mainly play 4K HDR files contained in mkv containers while bitstream a Dolby Atmos/DTS:X audio track to my AVR.
These would be BluRay Rips, so they would be quite big in size and of a high bitrate.
This is the most important thing to me, and the one that I need to work as best as it can.
Best picture quality while playing this is more important to me than any other feature.

My other requirement would be to stay much far away from Windows. Linux would be the best but Android is fine too.

For these reasons, I think the right choice for me would be one between either the Nvidia Shield TV or the Odroid N2.
I've excluded the Vero 4k+ because apparently it isn't powerful enough to play Hi10p (H264) videos, while the other can (from what I've read).

Other nice things to play would be 1080p mkvs, while always while bitstreaming Atmos/DTS:X tracks, and Hi10p mkvs but those are not the priority.

What do you suggest I buy?
We have Hi10p working (up to a number of ReFrames now) with HW decoding now.
S

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - by Sam.Nazarko - 2019-06-20, 00:35
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209