• 28(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2020-01-21, 01:27)noggin Wrote: As a result nVidia have added a slightly kludgey manual solution to get round it.

But it's a 3rd party app.
(2020-01-21, 12:18)Hitcher Wrote:
(2020-01-21, 01:27)noggin Wrote: As a result nVidia have added a slightly kludgey manual solution to get round it.

No.  They have a manual solution built-in.     There is also a 3rd party app that will do it automatically.
Sorry, didn't realise.
(2020-01-21, 12:18)Hitcher Wrote:

No - there's a Beta function built into the Shield Experience and available as a quick setting option.
(2020-01-21, 12:12)ashlar Wrote:
How is it implemented, if I may ask? A video starts, you push a button on the remote and Shield frame matches output? 
Yes - pretty much.  Some apps (Prime Video?) detect it as an attempt to breach DRM I think.
(2018-05-25, 07:50)wrxtasy Wrote: *** There is no Bluray ISO Rip DolbyVision or HDR10+ support on any Kodi capable media player ***
HDR10+ support in latest CoreELEC Nightly build for all devices using kernel 4.9. Working flawlessly for the movies I've tested so far. Many more to come!
(2020-02-03, 15:45)V33m Wrote:
(2018-05-25, 07:50)wrxtasy Wrote: *** There is no Bluray ISO Rip DolbyVision or HDR10+ support on any Kodi capable media player ***
HDR10+ support in latest CoreELEC Nightly build for all devices using kernel 4.9. Working flawlessly for the movies I've tested so far. Many more to come!

Excellent thx. !

Yes I can also confirm HDR10+ now works with the latest nightly CoreELEC build. Smile
Tested on my ODROID N2 with a 2019 Panasonic GZ OLED - which has a colourful HDR10+ logo popup onscreen.

You can confirm you Display / and or AVR supports HDR10+ by:

Code:
cat /sys/devices/virtual/amhdmitx/amhdmitx0/hdr_cap
Code:
HDR10Plus Supported: 1
HDR Static Metadata:
    Supported EOTF:
        Traditional SDR: 1
        Traditional HDR: 1
        SMPTE ST 2084: 1
        Hybrid Log-Gamma: 1
    Supported SMD type1: 1
    Luminance Data
        Max: 0
        Avg: 0
        Min: 0

HDR Dynamic Metadata:

colorimetry_data: ff

What I have also found is my Yamaha YSP 2700 Soundbar does Not support HDR10+ passthru. Sad
It does support HLG HDR and DolbyVision passthru so time to contact Yamaha for a FW update.

Hope the new U22-XJ by Minix will do everything ok, as it has DV support out of the box.
I just bought my first 4K HDR TV and I noticed HDR is not going to happen with my Odroid C2. Just ordered my Odroid N2  Laugh
(2020-02-04, 21:31)Sjors125 Wrote: Hope the new U22-XJ by Minix will do everything ok, as it has DV support out of the box.

You sure about that ?
Because usually AMLogic chipset devices running Android have broken deinterlacing, broken VC-1, suspect mpeg4 and mpeg2 support.

Run the Linux based CoreELEC OS on such chipsets and all that then works.

No Apps type externally HDMI connected media player can direct playback Dual Layer DolbyVision Rips. There simply is NO software support for that.

DolbyVision single layer only, and even then there are FAKE DV files out in the wild being output by DVDFab processing software.
See post #1 of this thread that contains links which details analytical proof about that.

Honestly you are better using a modern 4K HDR TV that does excellent Dynamic Tone Mapping of regular HDR10 content vs stuffing around trying to get DolbyVision support via Kodi or similar software using suspect, dodgy DV files.

Apple TV 4K with Epson EH-TW9400 projector clipping highlights with HDR, causing the wrong metaadatas (the phone camera in manual mode):

S905X3 + CoreELEC: [link]
Apple TV 4K: [link]
Yes the Apple TV 4K is Not the device to buy for local 4K HDR10 Home networked video playback if your specific HDMI connected, HDR10 display needs complete MaxCLL/FALL HDR metadata to correctly Tone Map.

A cheap Gigabit equipped, AMLogic device running a v4.9 AML / Linux Kernel is a far better option to accompany a nice Smart TV like the LG OLED’s or a quality projector.

Even the Vero 4K(+) will join the v4.9 Kernel party soon for complete MaxCLL/FALL HDR metadata passthru Smile
(It will even do HDR10+ too with that new Kernel)

@wrxtasy 

Kodi Matrix receives one update to fix Dolby vision issue

Fixed UHD BD Dolby Vision dual layer stream
Exclusive to UHD BD, Dolby has a second video layer that is mistaken by a 1080p HEVC/AVC stream causing a green screen when played....

https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/commit/7250...a7b0f64380
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
That commit is simply discarding the DV enhancement layer to fix green screen picture output issues from Dual Layer UHD Bluray Rips playback with Kodi V19 Matrix. So then, the regular HDR10 layer can playback properly.

It’s not adding Dual Layer DV support to Kodi v19 Matrix.

Speaking of HDR10+, I'm running CoreELEC 9.2.0 stable release on my ODROID N2 into a Denon X8500H receiver which feeds my Sony X900F.  I play uncompressed MKV files.  For titles like Bohemian Rhapsody which feature HDR10+, the color is washed out.  I realize my TV does not support HDR10+ and MKV files do not support Dolby Vision.  Would the latest CoreELEC update help with this and play HDR10+ content as traditional HDR?  Or does this update merely pass through HDR10+ content properly to HDR10+ compatible displays?
  • 28(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209