• 30(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2020-04-27, 09:58)Cinephile Wrote: @wrxtasy 

Now that there is a way to preserve Dolby Vision inside the mkv container do you think it is time to update the hardware list accordingly?

Wow I haven’t heard that. How?
(2020-04-28, 01:03)DAlba Wrote:
(2020-04-27, 09:58)Cinephile Wrote: @wrxtasy 

Now that there is a way to preserve Dolby Vision inside the mkv container do you think it is time to update the hardware list accordingly?

Wow I haven’t heard that. How? 
In short:

1) Create MKV backup using v1.15.1 of MakeMKV.
2) Extract and convert atmos track from MKV to thd+ac3 format using eac3to.
3) Add MKV and the extracted thd+ac3 atmos audio track to tsmuxer and mux.

This will give you access to lossless video and audio streams while also maintaining DV.

Full information here:

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic....12&t=21937
Thx. @Cinephile for the info - I will link the above post into a DV re-write of Post #1 Smile

Just a bit of a heads up for 2019 Nvidia Shield owners using DolbyVision....

Quote:There is a color issue across all app the uses Dolby Vision, from Plex to Disney+ or Netflix, something is wrong handling the color space or something because reds look a bit saturated is more evident on characters skin but also on other surfaces, is subtle but is there. It's not an "all image" redish look, is more like where there should be some soft red tones they appear more saturated and only happens with red....

More details over on Nvidia Shield forum HERE (click)

There are also the same reports over on the MakeMKV forums (click) from various users.
Maybe Nvidia are incorrectly using a Rec.2020 colour space instead of the Dolby proprietary IPT ?

(2020-04-29, 07:23)wrxtasy Wrote: Just a bit of a heads up for 2019 Nvidia Shield owners using DolbyVision....
Quote:There is a color issue across all app the uses Dolby Vision, from Plex to Disney+ or Netflix, something is wrong handling the color space or something because reds look a bit saturated is more evident on characters skin but also on other surfaces, is subtle but is there. It's not an "all image" redish look, is more like where there should be some soft red tones they appear more saturated and only happens with red....

More details HERE (click)

There are also the same reports over on the MakeMKV forums (click) from various users.
Maybe Nvidia are incorrectly using a Rec.2020 colour space instead of the Dolby proprietary IPT ?   

I think it has to be more subtle than that - if they were using ICtCp instead of YCrCb or RGB you'd get massively different results wouldn't you?

If this is an issue it sounds more like an issue in converting from ICtCp to YCrCb or RGB Rec 2020 format? Or I wonder if some of the RPU information is getting mangled - causing the TV to do different things to those expected ? (The DV RPU metadata that is sent from the player to the display has a lot more information and control than the metadata in HDR10 or HDR10+ as it controls how the display converts the video coming in over HDMI to be displayed - kind of tone mapping on steroids?)

DV may well require nVidia to rectify this ASAP if it is found to be a processing fault, as Dolby license the technology and will require it to be implemented correctly to carry their logo.
(2020-04-29, 07:23)wrxtasy Wrote: Just a bit of a heads up for 2019 Nvidia Shield owners using DolbyVision....

More details HERE (click)

I've just seen references to red tint in a discussion about HD Fury's LLDV for HDR10 displays hack (AIUI this intercepts the LLDV data - as it's carried over convention HDMI Infoframes rather than tunnelled in the video as per the original, slightly hacky, DV implementation - and I believe allows you to use it to generate a 'dynamic HDR10' signal, which is very useful for displays with limited dynamic range...).

I wonder if the Shield TV is not outputting the correct white point or colour gamut flags (i.e. DCI P3 vs Rec 2020 etc.), or is not handling the correct flagging of RGB primaries properly, which is then throwing the Dolby RPU processing in DV TVs (or does LLDV also devolve some of that to the source)?

I wonder if the DV content on Netflix, Prime, Disney etc. is all mastered with the same primaries, white point, gamut etc. but some of the DV UHD BDs that have been remastered are using different values ?
An update to the Intel situation.  I've got a Chuwi Herobox N4100 Gemini Lake based fanless small form factor PC (it comes with Windows 10 installed).  This has 8GB RAM (Dual channel config I believe), 180GB Intel SSD, WiFi, Bluetooth, 2 x USB 3.0 Type A, 2 x USB 2.0 Type-A and a USB Type C (assume USB 3.0 but not checked) and a uSD card slot. It has an empty 2.5" HDD/SSD bay for additional internal storage. Importantly it has an HDMI 2.0 output (as well as a VGA).  I have a feeling the HDMI 2.0 is native from the Gemini Lake, not using an LSPCon.   It's £179 on Amazon UK at the moment - which doesn't seem a bad price.  However Chuwi have a slightly patchy reputation in support terms.

Installing a development build of LibreElec (booting from a USB stick in live mode, after disabling Secure Boot in the BIOS - hit ESC to enter the BIOS), which includes the Intel HDR patches to flag HDR info frames on HDMI etc. it is playing 2160p24 HEVC HDR content and correctly flagging an HDR10 EOTF over HDMI (i.e. playing HDR10 content correctly triggers the TV into HDR10 mode).  

I've not had a chance to check whether it's RGB, 4:4:4 or 4:2:2 (the latter is apparently unlikely) - nor whether it's 8-bit, 10-bit or 12-bit. Nor have I had any time to check the Rec 2020/Rec 709 switching. (My HD Fury Vertex is in storage...). I believe 2160p50-60 support is still a WIP - will try that later.

However this is good news for Intel HDR support - though it's still a minefield because of LSPCon (where a Displayport output from a CPU is converted to HDMI, rather than the native HDMI output used). NUCs in particular often use LSPCons.  AIUI LSPCon HDR support is still not there. (Native HDMI 2.0 - where supported in hardware - is better?)
Picked up a Mi Box S because I just subbed to YouTubeTV the other day and it is kind of laggy on my Roku TV, liked it better on the Shield in the living room. So I was looking for something to put in the bedroom, will be mostly used for kodi, emby, YTTV, some Netflix and Prime thats about it. 

Just need stereo out to the TV no AVR involved. Should I be looking at something else in this price range? $60ish This will be hooked up to an HDR10 TV.
Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K of something from THIS(click) Android TV list.

The new TiVo Stream 4K will be the buggiest. Read posts in TiVo Subreddit to get an idea.

(2020-05-19, 05:04)wrxtasy Wrote: Amazon Fire TV Stick 4K of something from THIS(click) Android TV list.

The new TiVo Stream 4K will be the buggiest. Read posts in TiVo Subreddit to get an idea.

would be good if you can put at the top of your post, current recommendation for top 3 devices 
ranked from 1 to 3 etc..maybe add link/jump to of that forum section or the pros and cons down the bottom of the page
and update it as newer better device comes out..

It will allow people to quickly view what is currently good/recommended
and they can read further down the post of the pros and cons of those devices..

e.g. 

2020 -  Current top 3 recommendation (16/5/2020)
(2020-05-19, 05:59)madmax2 Wrote: would be good if you can put at the top of your post, current recommendation for top 3 devices 
ranked from 1 to 3 etc..maybe add link/jump to of that forum section or the pros and cons down the bottom of the page

e.g. 

Read the following post....

The Best Of - categorised - media players on the market (click)

I need to rewrite the START HERE thread 1st post to greatly simplify it.

(2020-05-19, 07:09)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-05-19, 05:59)madmax2 Wrote: would be good if you can put at the top of your post, current recommendation for top 3 devices 

e.g. 

Read the following post....

The Best Of - categorised - media players on the market (click)

I need to rewrite the START HERE thread 1st post to greatly simplify it.    

Maybe your first post should have a Table of contents organised into clear headings/sections/FAQ
and jump points..

The first post/page does look quite messy
and I think most people read your first post and that is it..

I didn't even know there was already recommended section 2/3 of the page down..
While there is a lot of info, it can become info overload for many people who are newbie or just want to see quickly what is the current recommended device..

My suggestion is something like this..but you can modify it how you think looks best or what sections it is named
But the key is to simplify it into sections so people can quickly find what they want..

TABLE OF CONTENT 

INTRODUCTION
RECOMMENDATION

DEVICES
  CORE ELEC / SBC
  -Odroid
     -N2 (pros and cons)
  -Pi 

ANDROID BOX
  -NVIDIA shield (pros and cons)

APPLE/OTHER
  -Apple TV (pros and cons)
  -ETC

FAQ

OTHER
This HDR thread is not about "Picking a Kodi Box" there are other threads for that specifically the START HERE.

The idea of this thread is to attempt to list in detail the nitty gritty confusing info and "gotchas" surrounding HDR usage with Kodi.

(2020-05-19, 09:10)wrxtasy Wrote: This HDR thread is not about "Picking a Kodi Box" there are other threads for that specifically the START HERE.

The idea of this thread is to attempt to list in detail the nitty gritty confusing info and "gotchas" surrounding HDR usage with Kodi.
It seems, the Apple TV 4K send wrong colorspace for Dolby Vision: [link]
  • 30(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209