4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2020-06-06, 01:15)mataus19 Wrote:
(2020-06-05, 09:18)noggin Wrote:
(2020-06-04, 17:41)mataus19 Wrote: My Odroid N2 can now playback HDR10+ and it would be great if DV could be added sometime in the future...however I am not hopeful as Kodi and proprietary don't go hand in hand from what I've read.

So far DV support has required a signed Dolby licence for your hardware and OS. Unless it's reverse-engineered in a way that doesn't cause any legal issues with Dolby I don't see how it can be added to Kodi for hardware that doesn't have built-in OS-level DV support and licensed hardware.

So whilst it may be possible to add it to Kodi (or forks of Kodi) that work on DV-supported platforms and OSs (Apple TV 4K with tvOS, nVidia Shield TV Pro 2019 with Android TV, Fire TV Stick 4K with Fire OS) I doubt we will see it on non-DV licensed hardware and regular Open Source Linux platforms like the N2 running CoreElec. I'll never say never - but I'd be surprised if it happened soon.
Thanks for the info. With regards to DV support requiring a signed Dolby licence for your hardware and OS and it being proprietary...how is Kodi able to play audio codecs like Dolby Digital, DTS etc, are they not proprietary too?
The standards that are required to carry DTS-HD MA/HRA and Dolby True HD as a bitstream over HDMI are standards and not proprietary to Dolby or DTS.  Dolby Vision is less straightforward on a number of levels.

However the separate challenge of decoding of DTS-HD and Dolby True HD to PCM (as used on platforms that don't support bitstreams or in other scenarios) via open source code has largely been through reverse engineering I believe.  The latter could - at some point I guess - happen with DV, but I suspect it's an order of magnitude harder. (Guesswork on my part though)

Messages In This Thread
RE: 4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations. - by noggin - 2020-06-06, 16:35
Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209