• 31(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2020-05-30, 10:09)djnice Wrote: It seems, the Apple TV 4K send wrong colorspace for Dolby Vision: [link]

I think you want a bit more proof than that, I would even go so far to say that LG Metadata info seems wrong.

Because the well regarded HDFury Diva (click) below is actually displaying correct DolbyVision Metadata that is being output from a Apple TV 4K DV source.
See time 7:25 in the video...
(BTW: the guy in the video is Andrew Poole, a ISF and THX Certified Calibrator and business owner in Australia.)

(2020-04-28, 01:03)DAlba Wrote:
(2020-04-27, 09:58)Cinephile Wrote: @wrxtasy 

Now that there is a way to preserve Dolby Vision inside the mkv container do you think it is time to update the hardware list accordingly?

Wow I haven’t heard that. How?
Am I correct in presuming that when using MakeMKV (v1.15.1 on) and the DV is retained in the MKV container, Kodi cannot playback as DV is proprietary? Or is remuxing in to TS. file a way of bypassing this?

It looks like PLEX will soon be able to play back DV in mkv container once exoplayer adds support.

https://forums.plex.tv/t/feature-request.../576028/24

My Odroid N2 can now playback HDR10+ and it would be great if DV could be added sometime in the future...however I am not hopeful as Kodi and proprietary don't go hand in hand from what I've read.
(2020-06-04, 17:41)mataus19 Wrote: My Odroid N2 can now playback HDR10+ and it would be great if DV could be added sometime in the future...however I am not hopeful as Kodi and proprietary don't go hand in hand from what I've read.

So far DV support has required a signed Dolby licence for your hardware and OS. Unless it's reverse-engineered in a way that doesn't cause any legal issues with Dolby I don't see how it can be added to Kodi for hardware that doesn't have built-in OS-level DV support and licensed hardware.

So whilst it may be possible to add it to Kodi (or forks of Kodi) that work on DV-supported platforms and OSs (Apple TV 4K with tvOS, nVidia Shield TV Pro 2019 with Android TV, Fire TV Stick 4K with Fire OS) I doubt we will see it on non-DV licensed hardware and regular Open Source Linux platforms like the N2 running CoreElec. I'll never say never - but I'd be surprised if it happened soon.
(2020-06-04, 17:41)mataus19 Wrote: My Odroid N2 can now playback HDR10+ and it would be great if DV could be added sometime in the future...
NO , do you need Amlogic S922X-J soc variant with DV certification and HDCP 2.2 and trusted HDMI.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2020-06-05, 09:18)noggin Wrote:
(2020-06-04, 17:41)mataus19 Wrote: My Odroid N2 can now playback HDR10+ and it would be great if DV could be added sometime in the future...however I am not hopeful as Kodi and proprietary don't go hand in hand from what I've read.

So far DV support has required a signed Dolby licence for your hardware and OS. Unless it's reverse-engineered in a way that doesn't cause any legal issues with Dolby I don't see how it can be added to Kodi for hardware that doesn't have built-in OS-level DV support and licensed hardware.

So whilst it may be possible to add it to Kodi (or forks of Kodi) that work on DV-supported platforms and OSs (Apple TV 4K with tvOS, nVidia Shield TV Pro 2019 with Android TV, Fire TV Stick 4K with Fire OS) I doubt we will see it on non-DV licensed hardware and regular Open Source Linux platforms like the N2 running CoreElec. I'll never say never - but I'd be surprised if it happened soon.
Thanks for the info. With regards to DV support requiring a signed Dolby licence for your hardware and OS and it being proprietary...how is Kodi able to play audio codecs like Dolby Digital, DTS etc, are they not proprietary too?
(2020-06-06, 01:15)mataus19 Wrote:
(2020-06-05, 09:18)noggin Wrote:

Thanks for the info. With regards to DV support requiring a signed Dolby licence for your hardware and OS and it being proprietary...how is Kodi able to play audio codecs like Dolby Digital, DTS etc, are they not proprietary too?
The standards that are required to carry DTS-HD MA/HRA and Dolby True HD as a bitstream over HDMI are standards and not proprietary to Dolby or DTS.  Dolby Vision is less straightforward on a number of levels.

However the separate challenge of decoding of DTS-HD and Dolby True HD to PCM (as used on platforms that don't support bitstreams or in other scenarios) via open source code has largely been through reverse engineering I believe.  The latter could - at some point I guess - happen with DV, but I suspect it's an order of magnitude harder. (Guesswork on my part though)
Probably some vital information has not leaked as of now, so reverse engineering may not even be possible. I think stuff like DTS-HD MA and TrueHD was too big to ignore, but DoVi is still quite rare.
(2020-06-06, 16:35)noggin Wrote:
(2020-06-06, 01:15)mataus19 Wrote:
(2020-06-05, 09:18)noggin Wrote: So far DV support has required a signed Dolby licence for your hardware and OS. Unless it's reverse-engineered in a way that doesn't cause any legal issues with Dolby I don't see how it can be added to Kodi for hardware that doesn't have built-in OS-level DV support and licensed hardware.

The standards that are required to carry DTS-HD MA/HRA and Dolby True HD as a bitstream over HDMI are standards and not proprietary to Dolby or DTS.  Dolby Vision is less straightforward on a number of levels.

However the separate challenge of decoding of DTS-HD and Dolby True HD to PCM (as used on platforms that don't support bitstreams or in other scenarios) via open source code has largely been through reverse engineering I believe.  The latter could - at some point I guess - happen with DV, but I suspect it's an order of magnitude harder. (Guesswork on my part though)
Thanks for the info!
(2020-06-06, 17:20)Boulder Wrote: Probably some vital information has not leaked as of now, so reverse engineering may not even be possible. I think stuff like DTS-HD MA and TrueHD was too big to ignore, but DoVi is still quite rare.

Yea I agree... however, given the fact that MakeMKV "should correctly recognize and preserve Dolby Vision streams in MKV file" I feel it will become a lot more common.

https://www.makemkv.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=21937
That's not an issue, remuxing DoVi has been possible for a while. The difficult thing is playback Smile
(2020-06-05, 14:02)looun Wrote:
(2020-06-04, 17:41)mataus19 Wrote: My Odroid N2 can now playback HDR10+ and it would be great if DV could be added sometime in the future...
NO , do you need Amlogic S922X-J soc variant with DV certification and HDCP 2.2 and trusted HDMI.

From info over on the CE forums HERE (click) it seems the new Ugoos AM6 Plus that has a DolbyVision Licenced S922XJ chipset can do DV using the Beta Plex App now as well.

Properly DV licensed chipsets are slowly trickling on to the wider market for Low Latency DolbyVision (LLDV) video playback.

That's interesting - been debating what will be the replacement for my U9-H machines for my next few years and considering them as they have a bit more device type look for being sat out on view - the cases on the ODroid are a bit techy. Enough now for me to give it a punt so will see how good it is in 20-40 days shipping time.
KODI Nexus - CoreELEC everywhere on Ugoos AM6 Plus&Pro, Plex Server, HDHomerun with TVHeadend on my NAS.
(2020-06-06, 18:17)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-05, 14:02)looun Wrote:

From info over on the CE forums HERE (click) it seems the new Ugoos AM6 Plus that has a DolbyVision Licenced S922XJ chipset can do DV using the Beta Plex App now as well.

Properly DV licensed chipsets are slowly trickling on to the wider market for Low Latency DolbyVision (LLDV) video playback.

And with Kodi (from 05:17): [link]
(2020-06-07, 08:58)djnice Wrote:
(2020-06-06, 18:17)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-05, 14:02)looun Wrote: NO , do you need Amlogic S922X-J soc variant with DV certification and HDCP 2.2 and trusted HDMI.

Though that's not playing within Kodi is it, Kodi is firing up an external player (a bit like many people do within Windows)? If my German is correct, Kodi is using Google's Android TV Video Player rather than the built-in Kodi player?
(2020-06-07, 13:22)noggin Wrote:
(2020-06-07, 08:58)djnice Wrote:
(2020-06-06, 18:17)wrxtasy Wrote: From info over on the CE forums HERE (click) it seems the new Ugoos AM6 Plus that has a DolbyVision Licenced S922XJ chipset can do DV using the Beta Plex App now as well.

Though that's not playing within Kodi is it, Kodi is firing up an external player (a bit like many people do within Windows)? If my German is correct, Kodi is using Google's Android TV Video Player rather than the built-in Kodi player?
Maybe, I'll have one next week and I'll test it. I think, DV will work with Kodi 19 alpha, like on Shield.
  • 31(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209