• 33(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
(2020-06-30, 11:28)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 08:51)Waterbottle23 Wrote:
(2020-06-30, 08:10)djnice Wrote: Yes, you need to demux the dual layer track to BL and EL with eac3to or tsmuxer and remux with Yusesope's python script to a single layer hevc file. You can use this file with dolby's mp4muxer tool. 
Damn.... So all my movies need to do this.
I’ll pass on DV..... 
Thanks.

Yep !
Only for the Ultra Hardcore DV Bluray Rip - Nerds / lovers Love

I will stick with regular HDR10 and Premium 4K HDR TV Picture Processing & Dynamic Tone Mapping - thank you to avoid all that stuffing around.

With same movie on LG 65B8, the DV version looks much better than the HDR10 version + DTM.
(2020-06-30, 11:59)Waterbottle23 Wrote: I read that need to pay royalties to dolby if using DV.

Yes - all DV players and DV displays need to pay Dolby a licence to use their technology (even if the SoC or GPU already has compatibility, you have to license it to enable it). It's not an open standard, nor is it royalty free to implement. It's a premium solution, and Dolby make money from that aspect of it.

DV isn't alone in being a licensable solution though - lots of audio and video codecs are covered by patents and have to be licensed (h.264, h.265 are both covered by licences for instance, and Dolby Digital was too until its patents lapsed) in commercial products.

My guess is that you will only see official DV support on devices that also support Netflix or Prime Video in DV (so official players like the Apple TV 4K, nVidia Shield TV 2019 etc., and some personal computer solutions. Recent Macs now apparently support 4K DV in Netlifx on Safari?).
(2020-06-07, 13:22)noggin Wrote:
(2020-06-07, 08:58)djnice Wrote:
(2020-06-06, 18:17)wrxtasy Wrote: From info over on the CE forums HERE (click) it seems the new Ugoos AM6 Plus that has a DolbyVision Licenced S922XJ chipset can do DV using the Beta Plex App now as well.

Properly DV licensed chipsets are slowly trickling on to the wider market for Low Latency DolbyVision (LLDV) video playback.

And with Kodi (from 05:17): [link]

Though that's not playing within Kodi is it, Kodi is firing up an external player (a bit like many people do within Windows)? If my German is correct, Kodi is using Google's Android TV Video Player rather than the built-in Kodi player?

"Googles Android TV Video Player" - can u link to which one you mean? thx
@wrxtasy :

Just info to update first post Intel x86_64 section:
Second fork mentioned (https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=349861) has been merged into master branch and kodi 19 nightly already supports HDR10 passthrough.

Also master branch has full BluRay menus support.
Hi,
OP should warn that playing lossless high bitrate audio like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio with Kodi (regardless of system i think) produces skipping sound or even crashes.
Discussed here and there.
I agree with @peto. That is kind of a deal breaker and forced me to buy a Nvidia Shield.

And by the looks of threads, it won't be fixed anytime soon.

Should be added to the OP, because I got the Odroid N2 on that post's content. It seemed flawless and cheap and but it isn't.

New buyers beware.
(2020-07-28, 22:09)peto Wrote: Hi,
OP should warn that playing lossless high bitrate audio like Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD Master Audio with Kodi (regardless of system i think) produces skipping sound or even crashes.
Discussed here and there.

The TrueHD audio crashed were address in Kodi Leia with this commit (click)

And it looks like the root cause of such THD/Atmos audio skipping has been found and attempted to be addressed over on the MakeMKV forum:

Ripping Dolby Atmos into MKV (click)

I will add a cover note on Page #1 that Atmos Disney & high bitrate Atmos audio Bluray Rips are causing issues across multiple Kodi platforms except the Nvidia Shield that has had an ExoPlayer fix (click) included in Firmware to prevent the audio dropouts.

@eggman89 - confirming you have to use Plex to prevent these Atmos audio dropouts on the Shield ?

(2020-07-29, 22:16)eggman89 Wrote: Should be added to the OP, because I got the Odroid N2 on that post's content. It seemed flawless and cheap and but it isn't.

I feel you, i took an N2 too cause i that.
Quote:And it looks like the root cause of such THD/Atmos audio skipping has been found and attempted to be addressed over on the MakeMKV forum
So wrxtasy we need Rerips ? Is there any hope it gets fixed in Kodi too ?!
(2020-07-30, 03:10)wrxtasy Wrote: @eggman89 - confirming you have to use Plex to prevent these Atmos audio dropouts on the Shield ?

Yes.
Kodi on both Shield and N2 - Audio Skip.
Plex (and Emby) on Shield - No skip.
(2020-07-01, 08:32)noggin Wrote: My guess is that you will only see official DV support on devices that also support Netflix or Prime Video in DV (so official players like the Apple TV 4K, nVidia Shield TV 2019 etc., and some personal computer solutions. Recent Macs now apparently support 4K DV in Netlifx on Safari?).

new realtek player like dune and zidoo Z9X also supporto LLDV.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
Does the audio skipping issue appear only when the audio track is not bitstreamed? The crash was like that -- I need to test one clip that crashed on me when the TrueHD track was decoded and sent as AC3 over S/PDIF.
Just to confirm. I cant play remuxed single layer DV mkv's on a Shield Pro 2019 , I have to use plex? If thats true, how long before Kodi support DV?
(2020-08-01, 03:27)gpinzone Wrote: Just to confirm. I cant play remuxed single layer DV mkv's on a Shield Pro 2019 , I have to use plex?

Yes because Plex uses EXOPlayer.

Over on the MakeMKV forums there are guys using Kodi's Playercorefactory - external player functionality to playback DV using a custom EXOPlayer.apk (click)
That also works for DV licensed devices like the Ugoos AM6 Plus - and that device does not have the DV color output problems the 2019 Shield has.

See MakeMKV forums (click) for details.

W.

(2020-08-01, 06:14)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-08-01, 03:27)gpinzone Wrote: Just to confirm. I cant play remuxed single layer DV mkv's on a Shield Pro 2019 , I have to use plex?

Yes because Plex uses EXOPlayer.

Over on the MakeMKV forums there are guys using Kodi's Playercorefactory - external player functionality to playback DV using a custom EXOPlayer.apk (click)
That also works for DV licensed devices like the Ugoos AM6 Plus - and that device does not have the DV color output problems the 2019 Shield has.

See MakeMKV forums (click) for details.

W.

I setup Plex lon my shield last night but for some reason while it does play a DV rip the TV doesnt switch into DV mode. Stays HDR Sad I cant figure out why. I am streaming it over SMB via my freenas server.

Also, you mentioned Ugoos AM6 Plus, they actually pay for a license DV? I have an Odroid n2+ running coreelec and it works flawlessly. Will I be able to run that hack on that?
Seems just a matter of time before we’ll be able to play DV MKV’s via Kodi’s internal player?
  • 33(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209