• 35(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
I had success with EAC3/ Atmos DolbyVision - Profile 5 playback on the Apple TV 4K using the Infuse Pro App.

There are AML S922X-J chipsets that are DV licensed in devices from Amazon (Cube), MINIX and Ugoos. They possibly might work with existing Kodi v18 Leia.

The FireTV Stick 4K could possibly work along with the 2019 Shield using Kodi Matrix.

Not sure of DolbyVision support status with Kodi v19 Matrix to be honest.

(2020-11-03, 00:44)hdmkv Wrote: can Kodi 18.9 or 19 alpha play DV in any of these containers on any media player at the moment?

It‘s possible to trigger dolby vision with a modified exoplayer as an external kodi player on an nvidia shield tv 2019 pro.

Have a look at this post:

https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2975374

Regards Hoppel
frontend: nvidia shield tv 2019 pro | apple tv 4k | sonos arc 5.1.2 | lg oled65c97la
backend: supermicro x11ssh-ctf | xeon | 64gb ecc | wd red | zfs raid-z2 | dd max s8

software: debian | proxmox | openmediavault | docker | kodi | emby | tvheadend | fhem | unifi
Thanks, I'll try it.
For those that want samples to test out DolbyVision, there are a bunch of clips from the new iPhone 12 Pro found over on Redditt (click)
These clips are encoded using a newer DolbyVision Profile 8.4 that also includes HLG HDR compatibility.

2019 Shield might find (testing needed) such DV Profile 8.4 clips playback properly in DV with the modded Exoplayer.apk.

OSMC / CoreELEC Kodi (v4.9 Linux Kernel), FireTV Stick 4K and AMLogic chipset Android devices (Nougat 7.x OS and above) users will find that HLG HDR works for them.

Surprisingly the Apple TV 4K will need a future Firmware update to playback DV Profile 8.4 properly and add HLG HDR support.

Looks like MrMC App on the ATV 4K does playback such iPhone 12 Pro clips, output as HDR(PQ)

Also see the MakeMKV forum (click) for further iPhone 12 Pro DV discussions.

W.

Just hope Kodi 19 brings MKK DV to Android soon.
Returned my iPhone 12 Pro Max after many attempts to get HDR to look decent on my Vizio DV/HDR-capable TV & standard HDR-capable Epson 5050UB projector. Raw files & once edited with iMovie look too bright & washed out. Ones edited with LumaFusion look too dim & under saturated. With Luma, I tried exporting as DV, HDR10 & HLG (of which it gives two options) to no avail. Switching to SDR, iPhone 12 Pro Max's video quality is only marginally better than iPhone 11 Pro Max's. The DV clips look fantastic on the iPhone itself, for the most part, but where I need them to work (my TV, projector), at present, results aren't good. One thing that is worse on 12 are light flares when shooting at night, like city lights.
(2020-11-24, 00:56)hdmkv Wrote: One thing that is worse on 12 are light flares when shooting at night, like city lights.
Yes I have noticed that a lot on the iPhone 12 DV clips I downloaded and viewed in my previous post.
Some of the clips are really bad with the headlights and subsequent floating circular "dots" in video recorded of oncoming traffic.

I would find it impossible if Apple were not aware of that glaring problem.
I suspect it's a limitation with Smartphone Lens technology.

There is an interesting discussion about it over on the Apple discussion Forums (click)

So, I just stumbled upon a video recorder app that shoots in 10-bit HDR10 or HLG, even on iPhone 11, and results are pretty impressive. It's called 4K HDR Video Recorder, and costs just $3. Will add a sample to Kodi a/v wiki when I have some time.
Based on what I understand mkv DV support won't be in kodi 19 since ffmpeg hasn't actually merged the code needed for that and hence kodi will not have it. And it seems to be rare for ffmpeg to get updated on minor kodi revisions so we might only see it on kodi 20....i hope I'm wrong.
HT System - Denon X1500-H, 4x RP-500M for FR,FL,SR,SL, RP-404C for Center, 2x RP-500SA for Top Middle, SVS PB-2000. Harmony 665, LG OLED CX 65, Samsung PN51H5000 Plasma
(2020-11-24, 00:56)hdmkv Wrote: Returned my iPhone 12 Pro Max after many attempts to get HDR to look decent on my Vizio DV/HDR-capable TV & standard HDR-capable Epson 5050UB projector. Raw files & once edited with iMovie look too bright & washed out. Ones edited with LumaFusion look too dim & under saturated. With Luma, I tried exporting as DV, HDR10 & HLG (of which it gives two options) to no avail. Switching to SDR, iPhone 12 Pro Max's video quality is only marginally better than iPhone 11 Pro Max's. The DV clips look fantastic on the iPhone itself, for the most part, but where I need them to work (my TV, projector), at present, results aren't good. One thing that is worse on 12 are light flares when shooting at night, like city lights.

Yep - looks like iPhone 12 DV content will need to wait for a number of TVs to catch up with the new DV profile.  I can see why Apple have gone with an HLG base-layer rather than an HDR10 base-layer, as HLG is backwards compatible with SDR (*) whereas HDR10 isn't - so iPhone DV stuff should play back and look vaguely OK, unconverted, on SDR displays, or in players treating it as SDR (whereas HDR10 looks far worse played back as SDR unconverted).  HLG tracks the SDR EOTF up to around 65-70% (I think) and then does a gentle curve to avoid clipping highlights. If viewed in SDR this just looks like an unusual knee (so things like clouds retain detail and have the contrast between the SDR section of the curve and 100% reduced, whereas with a regular SDR EOTF they'd clip at peak white. HLG displays 'unbend' this curve extending the compressed range into HDR levels - which is why they need 10-bit resolution to retain detail)

Does your Vizio TV have a 'force HLG' option like my Sony? (On my Sony I can force SDR, HDR10 and HLG, and can also force Rec 2020 or Rec 709 gamut)

(*) within the same gamut - displaying Rec 2020 unconverted on a Rec 709 display will look sub-par, just as Rec 709 displayed unconverted in Rec 2020 will.  (Often Rec 2020 is conflated with HDR, and Rec 709 with SDR - but the reality is you can shoot Rec 2020 in SDR and Rec 709 in HLG HDR)

If you have a clip of your iPhone 12 DV stuff  (if you kept the clips after you returned it) - are you able to upload it somewhere?  Be interesting to see whether it's Rec 709 or Rec 2020 HLG in the base layer.
Don't think my Vizio can force HLG. Didn't save any clips, but found a raw DV sample here.

Maybe I should've kept the 12 as I'm now seeing videos uploaded to YT like this one that look great in HDR (HLG) when watching using Fire TV Stick & the Smart YouTube TV app. nVidia Shield TV doesn't support HLG, but via Smart YouTube TV, the clip still looks good in SDR. But, when I download the clip from YT using 4K Video Downloader (see MediaInfo below) and play it using Shield TV, I see the same overly bright & washed out picture as with the raw iPhone 12 samples.

Code:
General
Unique ID : 13160765428354171740915578229189883592 (0x9E6ABD54474B6A3DBA4B185BEE1B6C8)
Complete name : D:\Downloads\iPhone 12 Pro Max - 4K@60p 10 bit - HDR Dolby Vision.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 449 MiB
Duration : 2 min 15 s
Overall bit rate : 27.7 Mb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.20.100
Writing library : Lavf58.20.100
ErrorDetectionType : Per level 1

Video
ID : 1
Format : VP9
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_VP9
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.030 FPS
Color space : YUV
Default : Yes
Forced : No
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : HLG
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : A_AAC-2
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
(2020-12-01, 14:17)noggin Wrote: If you have a clip of your iPhone 12 DV stuff  (if you kept the clips after you returned it) - are you able to upload it somewhere?  Be interesting to see whether it's Rec 709 or Rec 2020 HLG in the base layer.

For those that want samples to test out HLG DolbyVision, there are a bunch of clips from the new iPhone 12 Pro found over on Redditt (click)

(2020-12-01, 16:45)hdmkv Wrote: Don't think my Vizio can force HLG. Didn't save any clips, but found a raw DV sample here.

Maybe I should've kept the 12 as I'm now seeing videos uploaded to YT like this one that look great in HDR (HLG) when watching using Fire TV Stick & the Smart YouTube TV app. nVidia Shield TV doesn't support HLG, but via Smart YouTube TV, the clip still looks good in SDR. But, when I download the clip from YT using 4K Video Downloader (see MediaInfo below) and play it using Shield TV, I see the same overly bright & washed out picture as with the raw iPhone 12 samples.

Code:
General
Unique ID : 13160765428354171740915578229189883592 (0x9E6ABD54474B6A3DBA4B185BEE1B6C8)
Complete name : D:\Downloads\iPhone 12 Pro Max - 4K@60p 10 bit - HDR Dolby Vision.mkv
Format : Matroska
Format version : Version 4
File size : 449 MiB
Overall bit rate : 27.7 Mb/s
Writing application : Lavf58.20.100
Writing library : Lavf58.20.100
ErrorDetectionType : Per level 1

Video
ID : 1
Format : VP9
HDR format : SMPTE ST 2086, HDR10 compatible
Codec ID : V_VP9
Width : 3 840 pixels
Height : 2 160 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 16:9
Frame rate mode : Constant
Frame rate : 59.030 FPS
Color space : YUV
Color range : Limited
Color primaries : BT.2020
Transfer characteristics : HLG
Matrix coefficients : BT.2020 non-constant
Mastering display color primaries : Display P3
Mastering display luminance : min: 0.0050 cd/m2, max: 1000 cd/m2

Audio
ID : 2
Format : AAC LC
Format/Info : Advanced Audio Codec Low Complexity
Codec ID : A_AAC-2
Channel(s) : 2 channels
Channel layout : L R
Sampling rate : 44.1 kHz
Frame rate : 43.066 FPS (1024 SPF)
Compression mode : Lossy
Conversion between HLG and PQ HDR10 is relatively straightforward - there are a number of tools that let you do it within the same gamut.   AMLogic boxes will also do it in some set-ups - playing HLG as HDR10 if the connected display is only HDR10 compatible ISTR.

Could it be that the YouTube playback is playing an SDR YouTube conversion (i.e. YouTube have converted to SDR) whereas the downloaded version is HLG?  If you are playing back in the correct gamut then the HLG-ness should just mean you get roll-off in the highlights rather than clipping.  The saturation, colour balance and first 60-70% of the picture level space should look like SDR.  (Watching BBC iPlayer UHD downloads of content in Rec 2020 HLG played back as Rec 2020 SDR that's what I see)

What's odd about the MediaInfo stuff on that clip is that it is HLG - but flagged as HDR10 compatible - I'm not sure that's possible - could it be an error in how MediaInfo is reporting?  HLG and HDR10 EOTFs are very different - so I wonder if some other software using MediaInfo's internal nuts and bolts is treating the HLG as HDR10 (including the player being used on the Shield TV).  If you play SDR (and HLG) EOTF stuff forced into an HDR10 PQ EOTF you get REALLY nasty results (dark areas crushed, bright areas overly bright - because the SDR range is being pushed into HDR-ness) and heavy saturation...
Tried several iPhone 12 raw DV sample clips shared via the link @wrxtasy posted, and they all look great using my Vero 4K+ & ODROID N2, but rendered as HLG. Didn't realize the latest DV profile Apple is using has HLG support embedded. From Apple's VP of Camera Software Engineering:
Quote:“If you play a video back in Dolby Vision, the file can know which to share,” he said. “We built on the HLG color space. If you have a device that doesn’t know Dolby Vision it can still render the 2020 HLG. We did that for this specific reason: HLG 2020 gives us everything we wanted in terms of color space, but it gave us a level of compatibility.”

The problem is HDR10, as those same clips played back via nVidia Shield TV appear over-bright & washed-out, or depending on how edited & saved (like re-encoded w/LumaFusion), dull/muted.

However, I'm quite happy I found the 4K HDR Video Recorder app I linked to above (a steal for $3) as it allows me to use my iPhone 11 Pro Max (works with older iPhones too I believe) & record in HDR10 (DV w/HLG embedded is also an option) with better-than-expected HDR results using nVidia Shield TV or Vero 4K+/ODROID N2/Fire Stick 4K. You can also choose audio to be recorded as LPCM 2.0 (sounds better) vs. AAC. Posted both HDR10 & DV+HLG samples using this app on my iPhone to the A/V wiki here.

Here's what MediaInfo reports for both the raw iPhone 12 samples as well as mine w/iPhone 11 using the 4K HDR Video Recorder app choosing the HLG option:
(2020-12-19, 00:48)hdmkv Wrote: Tried several iPhone 12 raw DV sample clips shared via the link @wrxtasy posted, and they all look great using my Vero 4K+ & ODROID N2, but rendered as HLG. Didn't realize the latest DV profile Apple is using has HLG support embedded. From Apple's VP of Camera Software Engineering:
Quote:“If you play a video back in Dolby Vision, the file can know which to share,” he said. “We built on the HLG color space. If you have a device that doesn’t know Dolby Vision it can still render the 2020 HLG. We did that for this specific reason: HLG 2020 gives us everything we wanted in terms of color space, but it gave us a level of compatibility.”

The problem is HDR10, as those same clips played back via nVidia Shield TV appear over-bright & washed-out, or depending on how edited & saved (like re-encoded w/LumaFusion), dull/muted.

However, I'm quite happy I found the 4K HDR Video Recorder app I linked to above (a steal for $3) as it allows me to use my iPhone 11 Pro Max (works with older iPhones too I believe) & record in HDR10 (DV w/HLG embedded is also an option) with better-than-expected HDR results using nVidia Shield TV or Vero 4K+/ODROID N2/Fire Stick 4K. You can also choose audio to be recorded as LPCM 2.0 (sounds better) vs. AAC. Posted both HDR10 & DV+HLG samples using this app on my iPhone to the A/V wiki here.

Here's what MediaInfo reports for both the raw iPhone 12 samples as well as mine w/iPhone 11 using the 4K HDR Video Recorder app choosing the HLG option:

Are the video files recorded in the third party app 10-bit or 8-bit depth?

**EDIT - downloaded the clip - 10bit HEVC HLG + DV ** (I wonder how they license the DV in the app if the phone doesn't support it natively, or whether the DV data isn't really there?  I have DaVinci Resolve Studio which has some DV compatibility - but not sure if it takes in DV encoded content - will have a look) 

https://alex4d.com/notes/item/dolbyvision-iphone12-mac Aha - it appears that at one point the DV workflow for iPhone 12 clips was - ignore the DV that the phone records, edit them as HLG, and grade the HLG to PQ adding DV metadata in the final grade... (There wa then talk of importing the DV metadata from the phone at a later date)

Apple using DV with an HLG base-layer makes a huge amount of sense.  it gives them basic Rec 2020 SDR compatibility (and MacOS, iPad OS and iOS all handle Rec 2020 AIUI) because of the HLG backwards compatibility, it gives them compatibility with HLG HDR displays (HLG is increasingly standard alongside HDR10 in most TVs - particularly in the UK where the BBC uses it for all its 4K streaming) and it gives them DV compatibility on iPhones with DV support (though not yet other DV devices as they don't all have support for the profile Apple is using)

I know a lot of broadcast colourists and engineers who see HLG as a better 'in home' HDR standard than HDR10 (because it's scene referred not display referred PQ, and is designed to allow for the end user to chose the overall brightness of their picture, and includes ambient light compensation)
  • 35(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209