• 36(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
Right, DV + HLG. Credit Apple for trying to widen compatibility, but for Kodi use, if you don't have a HLG-capable display & HLG-capable media player, iPhone filmed videos won't look right. I'll try PLEX via Shield TV and see if my Vizio displays it okay as DV. Guessing no as this new DV may not be backwards compatible.
(2020-12-19, 18:24)hdmkv Wrote: Right, DV + HLG. Credit Apple for trying to widen compatibility, but for Kodi use, if you don't have a HLG-capable display & HLG-capable media player, iPhone filmed videos won't look right. I'll try PLEX via Shield TV and see if my Vizio displays it okay as DV. Guessing no as this new DV may not be backwards compatible.

Some AMLogic devices do Rec2020 HLG->Rec2020 HDR10 conversion (it's a reasonably straightforward EOTF conversion, with no gamut conversion required) if their connected displays support HDR10 but not HLG, when you play HLG content.  (Think the S905X3 and S922X both do it in CoreElec)
(2020-12-20, 10:19)noggin Wrote:
(2020-12-19, 18:24)hdmkv Wrote: Right, DV + HLG. Credit Apple for trying to widen compatibility, but for Kodi use, if you don't have a HLG-capable display & HLG-capable media player, iPhone filmed videos won't look right. I'll try PLEX via Shield TV and see if my Vizio displays it okay as DV. Guessing no as this new DV may not be backwards compatible.

Some AMLogic devices do Rec2020 HLG->Rec2020 HDR10 conversion (it's a reasonably straightforward EOTF conversion, with no gamut conversion required) if their connected displays support HDR10 but not HLG, when you play HLG content.  (Think the S905X3 and S922X both do it in CoreElec)

I'm now using the CoreELEC Kodi v19 - Matrix Beta builds + ODROID N2, and with the iPhone12 Pro HLG DV clips I get CE Kodi saying it's outputting HLG BT.2020nc and my Panny OLED has a HDR(HLG) On Screen popup.

(2020-12-20, 12:01)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2020-12-20, 10:19)noggin Wrote:

I'm now using the CoreELEC Kodi v19 - Matrix Beta builds + ODROID N2, and with the iPhone12 Pro HLG DV clips I get CE Kodi saying it's outputting HLG BT.2020nc and my Panny OLED has a HDR(HLG) On Screen popup.

Yes - the AMLogic SoCs will output HLG to HLG compatible TVs, but if a TV isn't HLG compatible but has HDR10 support, the HLG content will be converted to HDR10 and output in that format.  When I was playing with EDID stuff using my HD Fury Vertex I removed HLG support from my TV's EDID and my CoreElec AMLogic device still played back HLG stuff in HDR - which surprised me - then I realised it was converting to HDR10.

Conversion of HLG EOTF to HDR10 EOTF within the same Rec 2020 gamut is a relatively straightforward exercise - usually based on a 1000nit peak luminance assumption in the HLG file to allow it to be mapped to a PQ EOT - and has almost no visual impact on the content.  (After all the Planet Earth HDR content was all mastered in HLG and converted to HDR10 for UHD Blu-ray release, and few people complain about its quality)
hi, has the mi box s correct HDR infoframe data output?
Just an update - HDR10 playback is now working to a degree on the Raspberry Pi 4B.  

Rec 2020 content is now output correctly flagged as Rec 2020 and the correct RGB<->YCbCr matrix co-efficients are being used (they are different to Rec 709, which are themselves different to Rec 601), and both the ST.2084 PQ EOTF (used by HDR10 HDR content) and the ARIB-B67 HLG EOTF (used by HLG HDR content) are being correctly flagged.  AIUI this is all being done in code that is compatible with the direction of mainline code which will continue to be supported as Kodi moves forward. I haven't checked that MaxCLL and MaxFALL and mastering co-efficients are passed through yet.

This should now be in the latest LibreElec nightlies for the Pi 4B.

At the moment the major caveat is that output is still RGB 8-bit not 10-bit (so beware of banding), and whilst 2160p50 and 2160p59.94/60 content can be decoded, output is limited to 2160p30 and below, so for 50/59.94/60Hz you have to drop to 1080p. (We need 4:2:2 12-bit output to be enabled for that - as 4:2:0 isn't supported by the Pi 4B AIUI, and you can't output 10-bit RGB at 2160p50 and higher within HDMI 2.0 specs)

The devs are getting there though.  With UHD HDR and bitstreamed HD Audio both appearing on the Pi 4B - it's good to see continued improvements on the platform - and in a mainline-friendly manner.
I don't have Zidoo's Z9X (or any of their new Z-variant players), but they've recently added support for of DV FEL playback. Seems like a significant step forward.
[H]i-[d]eft [M]edia [K]een [V]ideosaurus
My Family Room Theater
What happened to the pick to right Kodi box topic? (I can find it, but it is closed and not sticked anymore)
It is/was (together with this 4k state of play topic) my go-to topic when I needed a new box, or when someone asked me for advice, .
Not sure, hadn't been updated since December if I recall. @wrxtasy doesn't appear as active now... hope you're doing well man, staying healthy, thriving.
Yes, I hope @wrxtasy is well too. 
Just want to let him know my gratitude for that great topic.
don't know if this has been mentioned before but there is a Libreelec 4k HDR build for Intel Nucs
Code:
https://forum.libreelec.tv/thread/13738-intel-true-10bits-hevc-hdr-support/?pageNo=37
(2021-04-22, 17:41)hdmkv Wrote: I don't have Zidoo's Z9X (or any of their new Z-variant players), but they've recently added support for of DV FEL playback. Seems like a significant step forward.

I'm considering replacing my Vero 4K due to it's lack of Dolby Vision support and the GUI generally being responsive but not the fastest thing in the world. I'm leaning towards getting a Zidoo Z9X, as it offers full Dolby Vision support already, but if the Nvidia Shield has that coming to it to within a year, I'd probably get that instead. I'm wondering if DV support (dual layer MKV specifically) has a chance of ever making it to the Nvidia Shield or if there is a hardware or licensing issue preventing that?
it's NOT true DV dual layer dual track (BD UHD  DV format), it's only Basic layer + RPU. There is not any "player" can playback true DV dual layer dual track(profile 7) only BD player can do it. dual layer MKV is fail experiment.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2021-06-03, 10:55)looun Wrote: it's NOT true DV dual layer dual track (BD UHD  DV format), it's only Basic layer + RPU. There is not any "player" can playback true DV dual layer dual track(profile 7) only BD player can do it. dual layer MKV is fail experiment.
You are correct, the limitations when it comes to DV on the Z9X are described here on the official forums: http://forum.zidoo.tv/index.php?threads/...ost-152709

Even so, it seems that's the most DV support you can get right now outside of very expensive devices like the Oppo 203?
I own a Intel Nuc (Braswell) with Kodi Matrix on Libreelec but Problem is : No prime video 2k/4k and i use connected to my nas with my 2k rip (and maybe in the future 4k rip)

I own a Firestick 4k but problem : No corrected refresh rate when connected to avr

Amazon replied thas is not a device designed to be connected to avr (LoL)

So now i want to buy a unique device for kodi and for Prime / Netflix  Disney etc 4k

What can you suggest ? 

Waf friendly Wink
  • 36(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209