• 38(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 2020
like ALL player playback HRD10 base layer, second DV layer is ignored.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
(2021-12-12, 22:53)looun Wrote: like ALL player playback HRD10 base layer, second DV layer is ignored.

Presumably for HLG-based Dual Layer DV (as used by Apple on iPhones etc.) the HLG base layer is played too?  (Dual Layer DV isn't always PQ-based)
BD UHD DV is only proifle  7 : dual layer dual track with HDR10 for  base layer and  enhancement layer for DV.
Some DB UHD like Alita have HDR10+ for base layer compatibile for samsung TV.

Only mp4 proifle  7 are single layer dual track
https://github.com/DolbyLaboratories/dlb_mp4base

Apple use profle 8 https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/...n-streams/, single layer.
Profile 8.1 single layer with HDR10 + Dolby Vision compatibility
Profile 8.2 single layer with SDR compatibility
https://avdisco.com/uploads/default/orig...e2604e.png

There some profile for DV , usually only  5 for VOD(netflix,prime) and 7 for DB UHD are used ,4,9 are not used.
https://www.diversifiedvideosolutions.co...tories.pdf
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
(2021-12-13, 17:19)looun Wrote: Apple use profle 8 https://developer.dolby.com/tools-media/...n-streams/, single layer.
Profile 8.1 single layer with HDR10 + Dolby Vision compatibility
Profile 8.2 single layer with SDR compatibility
https://avdisco.com/uploads/default/orig...e2604e.png

Apple also uses Profile 8.4 https://developer.apple.com/av-foundatio...r-apps.pdf

That's the DV format that iPhones etc. shoot in - which is backwards compatible with HLG (and thus SDR-ish)
(2021-12-13, 18:45)noggin Wrote: That's the DV format that iPhones etc. shoot in - which is backwards compatible with HLG (and thus SDR-ish)

Strangely, mediainfo reports an iPhone video as follows:

Code:
Video
ID                                       : 1
Format                                   : HEVC
Format/Info                              : High Efficiency Video Coding
Format profile                           : Main 10@L5@Main
HDR format                               : Dolby Vision, Version 1.0, dvhe.08.07, BL+RPU, HLG compatible
Codec ID                                 : hvc1
Codec ID/Info                            : High Efficiency Video Coding

Compatibility 7 seems to be reserved.  Is this a 'non-standard' HLG?
dvhe.08.07 = 08 is profile and 07 is level ( 07 = 30fps )
https://avdisco.com/t/demystifying-dolby...mel-fel/95
https://www.diversifiedvideosolutions.co...tories.pdf
is nvidia shield pro or apple tv 4k better than the odroid n2+?
I like to play 4k hdr 10 bit hevc files share via SMB etc..

Is there any pros or cons of the shield + apple tv 4k vs the N2+?

I can get the nvidia shield pro or appletv 4k for similar price to odroid n2+ etc.. due to a sale..
and it will have more longer and more reliable warranty the odroid n2+ (4 weeks warranty)
(2021-12-21, 04:49)madmax2 Wrote: is nvidia shield pro or apple tv 4k better than the odroid n2+?
I like to play 4k hdr 10 bit hevc files share via SMB etc..

Is there any pros or cons of the shield + apple tv 4k vs the N2+?

I can get the nvidia shield pro or appletv 4k for similar price to odroid n2+ etc.. due to a sale..
and it will have more longer and more reliable warranty the odroid n2+ (4 weeks warranty)

For Kodi alone - there aren't major benefits to the Shield TV or Apple TV 4K.  However if you also want DRM-ed streaming apps like Netflix, Prime, Disney+, Apple TV+ etc. then the Shield TV and Apple TV 4K are better choices.  IMO the ATV 4K is a bit better than the Shield TV as it supports dynamic refresh rate switching in the DRM-apps that happens automatically, whereas with the Shield TV you have to use a workaround to trigger a refresh rate change manually once the main video is playing (and some apps don't like that)

Downside of the ATV 4K in Kodi is that you don't get HD Audio bit streaming (just decode to PCM 48k 5.1/7.1) and no DTS:x or Dolby True HD with Atmos support.  (DRM apps support Dolby Digital Plus with Atmos)
Don't forget Kodi isn't as easy to install on the Apple TV 4k.
(2021-12-21, 12:07)Hitcher Wrote: Don't forget Kodi isn't as easy to install on the Apple TV 4k.

Yep - a lot of people go with the fork, MrMC, which is App Store friendly and easy to install (I do).  That won't let you run Python Addons, but does include PVR binary add ons for TV Headend etc.
Also worth pointing out that the Raspberry Pi 4B now has improved HDR (HDR10 and HLG) UHD support with the latest (as of 20th December 2021) nightlies - which support 12-bit RGB and 12-bit YCbCr 4:2:2 (but no 4:2:0) output and 10-bit replay paths I believe. (Previous Pi 4B HDR support was limited to 8-bit RGB), as well as HD Audio bitstreaming, and deinterlacing has also been added to the new video processing stuff.

It's been slow-and-steady - but the Pi 4B is looking to be a very capable option alongside the AMLogic stuff.
(2021-12-21, 12:07)Hitcher Wrote: Don't forget Kodi isn't as easy to install on the Apple TV 4k.

yeah forgot about that..

Is there anyway to install Kodi without a jailbreak?

yeah I am not a fan of paying for a crippled bland version of Kodi ie MrMC..
which may or may not get updates...

Not being able to install any addons on Kodi 
just makes it not feel like Kodi..

Like you get the shell clone of Kodi but it has heart and soul..
(2021-12-21, 14:26)noggin Wrote:

Yep - a lot of people go with the fork, MrMC, which is App Store friendly and easy to install (I do).  That won't let you run Python Addons, but does include PVR binary add ons for TV Headend etc.

yeah how do you feel about paying for a shell of Kodi (without the soul) when it is available for free most other platforms and devices?
and also where you get kodi updates will be highly dependant on whether the devs update MrMC or not..

Though even with updates (major new versions etc) hardly much will get noticed if all it can do is play videos on it

Saw youtube reviews of it and it just feels really boring without the addon feature..
like owning a PC but having no internet access..

Apple tv 4k has one big pro is the apple store is very good
and there is good interconnectivity with other apple products..

When it comes to nvidia shield pro and odroid n2+
what do you think is better overall?

Do they both have the same playback pros and cons in regards Kodi running on them?
The shield does have the edge in terms of google playstore and app installation

The odroid n2+ can install android TV
though not sure how good is the performance of it compared to nvidia shield pro.. 

Is the nvidia shield pro (latest version) more power than the odroid n2+
for things like gaming, emulation etc?

Do you own all three devices?
If so...
out of all the devices which would you pick
if you can only have one?

Still somewhat of a hard decision to make..
(2021-12-21, 14:57)madmax2 Wrote:
(2021-12-21, 14:26)noggin Wrote:

yeah how do you feel about paying for a shell of Kodi (without the soul) when it is available for free most other platforms and devices?

Happy to pay a small amount for a decent product - don't expect everything in life to be free.

The MrMC team do the work to keep the fork App Store compliant and handle the hassle of getting it into the App Store, happy to pay a small amount for that.
Quote:and also where you get kodi updates will be highly dependant on whether the devs update MrMC or not..
Yes - that's more of a concern - but MrMC does pretty much what I want it to do at the moment.
Quote:Though even with updates (major new versions etc) hardly much will get noticed if all it can do is play videos on it

That's all I use Kodi for - playing locally stored media and recorded/live TV. I don't use it for illegal streaming, and the legal streaming apps are there in tvOS.
Quote:Saw youtube reviews of it and it just feels really boring without the addon feature..
like owning a PC but having no internet access..

Apple tv 4k has one big pro is the apple store is very good
and there is good interconnectivity with other apple products..

Yep - the tvOS apps seem to be a lot better than the Android TV apps (and there are a number of apps that are there in tvOS that aren't available in Android TV)
Quote:When it comes to nvidia shield pro and odroid n2+
what do you think is better overall?

For pure Kodi - there isn't a huge amount in it. The N2+/N2 doesn't have the nicely polished enclosure, remote etc. that the Shield TV has, and ODroid's warranty/guarantee is a horrible joke (so I'd never buy direct from them), but I prefer Linux to Android as a base, so would go with the N2/N2+ personally (but be aware of the poor consumer support for ODroid products)

The ODroid N2+ doesn't have WiFi or Bluetooth AFAIK - the Shield TV has both.
Quote:Do they both have the same playback pros and cons in regards Kodi running on them?

Pretty much - the current Shield has licensed DV support which may be an advantage to some (not sure how much Kodi DV support there is on the Shield TV at the moment)

Both do HD Audio, proper frame rate switching etc. in Kodi.
Quote:The shield does have the edge in terms of google playstore and app installation

The odroid n2+ can install android TV
though not sure how good is the performance of it compared to nvidia shield pro.. 

It won't have the DRM licenses - so no point expecting high quality streams on apps installed in Android TV on the N2+.
Quote:Is the nvidia shield pro (latest version) more power than the odroid n2+
for things like gaming, emulation etc?

I don't do anything like that I'm afraid - but I'd expect the Shield TV to have better support - but that's really a guess.
Quote:Do you own all three devices?
If so...
out of all the devices which would you pick
if you can only have one?

I have an N2, a current Shield TV Pro and an ATV 4K v2. If I had to chose one it would be the ATV 4K v2 as it's by far the best platform for DRM services like Netflix, Prime, Disney+ and ATV+, and I only use MrMC for local media replay. For just Kodi I'd go with the N2 - but bought with a decent guarantee.  For me the Shield TV isn't good enough at DRM services to replace the ATV 4K, and I prefer CoreElec/Linux to Android TV.
Isn't MrMC pretty much abandoned? I went looking at the support forums a while back and it looks like that.
  • 38(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play - important media player limitations - LAST UPDATE sept 20209