•   
  • 41(current)
4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations.
(2022-05-13, 05:52)Sunflux Wrote: So, the search for good Kodi boxes doesn’t seem to have changed much in the past few years.
Reading through all of this it seems the practical choice for a good 4K HDR box is still between a Vero or a N2+.

Yep pretty much.   N2/N2+ seems to be the go-to box if you can get one.

If you need Dolby Vision playback then you are on to the Realtek RTD1619DR boxes.
(2022-05-13, 06:10)dwalme Wrote: Yep pretty much.   N2/N2+ seems to be the go-to box if you can get one.

If you need Dolby Vision playback then you are on to the Realtek RTD1619DR boxes.

I’ve really been wanting Dolby Vision playback, but it’s generally been an impossibility. How are those Realtek boxes? A search of that chipset didn’t turn up much discussion on the forum.
(2022-05-13, 20:53)Sunflux Wrote:
(2022-05-13, 06:10)dwalme Wrote: Yep pretty much.   N2/N2+ seems to be the go-to box if you can get one.

I’ve really been wanting Dolby Vision playback, but it’s generally been an impossibility. How are those Realtek boxes? A search of that chipset didn’t turn up much discussion on the forum.

I have a Zidoo Z9X. Playback is great and supports pretty much every video format. Video quality is as good or better than my N2.

I do prefer the overall user experience of Kodi on my Odroid N2 but HDR playback does not support Dolby Vision.
(2022-05-14, 01:04)dwalme Wrote: I do prefer the overall user experience of Kodi on my Odroid N2

Could you elaborate a bit on that? From what I read you can install Kodi (might have problems with the internal player) or Zidoos fork ZDMC (might be incompatible with skins/addons + latest is 19.4). I would really like to have Dolby Vision playback as well as the Kodi experience and I ended with the Z9X as the most fitting player, considering a budget of 2-300 euros.
(2022-05-13, 20:53)Sunflux Wrote:

I have a Vero 4k+, an Apple TV 4k and now a Shield Pro 2019. The latter plays DV with Kodi without problems, some movies do have a red push. All audio formats are supported via passthrough. It is a very good Kodi box, but the Vero has a better picture quality. But that you only can tell if you have them both...

If only Apple TV could do audio better, than it would be the perfect one-for-all box. Allthough I don't know if Infuse actually can play DV mkv's or that it just grabs the HDR10 layer and the ATV converts that to DV.
what hardware do i need to play DV mkv files?
(2022-05-14, 18:10)Chr0matic Wrote:
(2022-05-14, 01:04)dwalme Wrote: I do prefer the overall user experience of Kodi on my Odroid N2

Could you elaborate a bit on that? From what I read you can install Kodi (might have problems with the internal player) or Zidoos fork ZDMC (might be incompatible with skins/addons + latest is 19.4). I would really like to have Dolby Vision playback as well as the Kodi experience and I ended with the Z9X as the most fitting player, considering a budget of 2-300 euros.

I used the ZDMC fork a long time ago on other devices and did not care for how it integrated with the video player used for playback.    So I never tried it on the Z9X.   I stick with the Home Theater 4.0 app.    

It is possible the integration with the video player is better on the Z9X.   I recall things like watched status and resume location were not transferred back to ZDMC.  That was a long time ago now though.

I don't think you can go wrong testing it out.
  •   
  • 41(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K HDR10 - State of Play thread - important media player limitations.9
This forum uses Lukasz Tkacz MyBB addons.