v18 Unable to get WinDVD to play bluray disc using playercorefactory.xml
Hi Kodi forum!

I hope somebody can help me please. I am trying to use a retail purchased version of WinDVD11 to play retail bluray discs. This is the code in my file:

<playercorefactory>
  <players>
    <player name="WinDVD" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
      <filename>C:\Program Files (x86)\Corel\WinDVD11\WinDVD.exe</filename>
      <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
      <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
    </player>
  </players>
  <rules action="prepend">
    <rule filetypes="bd|bdmv|m2ts" player="WinDVD"/>
  </rules>
</playercorefactory>

But when I try to play a disc Kodi does not try to invoke WinDVD and I get a message saying Kodi cannot play encrypted blurays.

Things I have tried:
1. I have made sure that the filename is correct and have tested it using a shortcut to open WinDVD
2. I have experimented with the <rule> tag with different filetypes. I have tried including iso and also disc="bd". Perhaps there's a specific combination I need to use to get this to work? (thinking out loud here)
3. Made sure the xml is placed in %appdata%\kodi\userdata

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (all updates installed). My Kodi version is 18.0-ALPHA2 compiled on May 11 2018. I have tried searching the forums and the Kodi wiki to try to find a solution to what I am doing wrong.

Please help! :-)

Many thanks in advance!

PS I'd like WinDVD to only play bluray discs.
Looks like the playercorefactory script isn't loading, check the debug log to see if it's there and accepted. You should have a option 'play using' in the context menu (movie in focus) and check your script with https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=256537  If you're still having issues post the debug log to a public pastebin and link that URL here.
Thank you kindly for replying!

Here is an excerpt from the file called "kodi.txt" found under \kodi (which I hope is the debug log)

22:00:02.360 T:4176 NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://xbmc/system/playercorefactory.xml.
22:00:02.360 T:4176 NOTICE: Loaded playercorefactory configuration
22:00:02.360 T:4176 NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://profile/playercorefactory.xml.
22:00:02.361 T:4176 WARNING: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayer(WinDVD): no such player: WinDVD
22:00:02.361 T:4176 NOTICE: Loaded playercorefactory configuration

Thankfully it seems to be finding the file okay but, maddeningly, it claims the player I'm trying to define is 'no such player'!

I will check the link you have posted to see if a solution can be found in there.
Apologies, just seen the rules about posting debug logs. 

Here is the link to my kodi.log on pastebin: https://pastebin.com/NDgkG6Pk

I looked in that other forum post and couldn't find a solution to my problem, I'm still having the same issue.
I note you are running Kodi Alpha, and atm there are issues with the external player script, but you should be getting a choice of players in the context menu, even if they have issues. Try setting either VLC or MCP-HC as the player (I couldn't get windows media player to work) in the same UTF-8 script, but the script posted works on my set-up, with Krypton. Looking at the wiki you might want to play the args and perhaps place quotation marks (although mine works fine without) "on that path to the executable".

As a side note: my user log shows:

NOTICE: Loading player core factory settings from special://profile/playercorefactory.xml.
20:36:41.090 T:10248 WARNING: CPlayerCoreFactory::GetPlayer(mpc-be64): no such player: mpc-be64
20:36:41.090 T:10248   DEBUG: CPlayerCoreConfig::<ctor>: created player mpc-be64
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<playercorefactory>
 <players>
   <player name="mpc-be64" type="ExternalPlayer" audio="false" video="true">
     <filename>C:\Program Files\MPC-BE x64\mpc-be64.exe</filename>
     <args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>
     <hidexbmc>false</hidexbmc>
     <hideconsole>false</hideconsole>
     <warpcursor>none</warpcursor>
     <playcountminimumtime>2700</playcountminimumtime>
   </player>
 </players>
 <rules action="prepend">
     <rule filetypes="mkv" videoresolution="1080" videocodec="hevc" player="mpc-be64"/>
 </rules>
</playercorefactory>
Apologies for late reply.

I think you are right, I installed Krypton and it worked.

Just checking though: when I start Kodi v17, I go to disc and selected play and was hoping it would start the program instantly but it gave me several options like.

Is this expected behaviour?

Also, when stopping the external player I was hoping it would stop and close the external player, but it remained open over Kodi. Was kinda hoping it would at least switch.

Sorry for the extra questions Blush
Sorry for my tardy reply, helping a local election candidate and find myself too tired to keep in my eyes propped up.

"Is this expected behaviour?" I believe so, although I don't have a Blu-Ray drive in the PC I do get options for disk. The external player closes for me just fine, and the Kodi interface comes back full screen and functional. I suspect the player might have settings that are holding it open, when you manually close the player, Kodi operability should return?

For closing that's the statment<args>"{1}" /fullscreen /close</args>

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Unable to get WinDVD to play bluray disc using playercorefactory.xml0