Correct color settings of kodi with new LG OLED and upscaling.
Hello,

I am using kodi on an ubuntu Server (headless) together with my new LG B7 OLED.
99% of usage I will be only FullHD content without HDR.
4K and HDR is a differnt story (currently VDPAU doesnt support my HEVC10bit files and files are stuttering with CPU usage at 100%).

No I am a Little bit confused how to set up Color Settings correctly. 
Hoping that someone can tell me also using a LG OLED (2015 - 2018 model).
Here are my Settings:

TV-Settings:
- I have set HDMI-Input coming from PC (nvidia-card) on TV to "PC", however this Setting will disble some featrues like "real Cinema" and "noise reduction". As I have read only this Setting ("pc-mode") will enable Full RGB (RGB 4:4:4)?
- Blacklevel: "Low" (I think this has something to do with Color range like 16-235 and 0-255?)
- Color Camut: "Auto". Other Settings are "wide" and "Extended"
- HDMI-Deep-Color: "Enabled". (I think this will not take any difference as far only 1080p Content running or?)

Graphics-Settings (xorg.conf):
- There I have defined "RGB" "Full" with the following entries:
 Option         "ColorRange" "Full"
 Option         "ColorSpace" "RGB"

- Kodi-Settings:
- I have set to "limited Color range" (16-235)

Are These Settings correct and can someone tell me why? In General These Settings look best to me but I am not sure if there Maybe get something lost in the Deep Grey (which is then just black)
The second Question for me is if I am running only fullHD Content, should I do the upscaling on the pc (currently yes because Resolution is set to 3840x2160) or should I set Resolution to 1080p and let the TV do the upscaling?

regards
steo
(2018-05-26, 08:42)steo86 Wrote: Hello,

I am using kodi on an ubuntu Server (headless) together with my new LG B7 OLED.
99% of usage I will be only FullHD content without HDR.
4K and HDR is a differnt story (currently VDPAU doesnt support my HEVC10bit files and files are stuttering with CPU usage at 100%).

No I am a Little bit confused how to set up Color Settings correctly. 
Hoping that someone can tell me also using a LG OLED (2015 - 2018 model).
Here are my Settings:

TV-Settings:
- I have set HDMI-Input coming from PC (nvidia-card) on TV to "PC", however this Setting will disble some featrues like "real Cinema" and "noise reduction". As I have read only this Setting ("pc-mode") will enable Full RGB (RGB 4:4:4)?
- Blacklevel: "Low" (I think this has something to do with Color range like 16-235 and 0-255?)
- Color Camut: "Auto". Other Settings are "wide" and "Extended"
- HDMI-Deep-Color: "Enabled". (I think this will not take any difference as far only 1080p Content running or?)

Graphics-Settings (xorg.conf):
- There I have defined "RGB" "Full" with the following entries:
 Option         "ColorRange" "Full"
 Option         "ColorSpace" "RGB"

- Kodi-Settings:
- I have set to "limited Color range" (16-235)

Are These Settings correct and can someone tell me why? In General These Settings look best to me but I am not sure if there Maybe get something lost in the Deep Grey (which is then just black)
The second Question for me is if I am running only fullHD Content, should I do the upscaling on the pc (currently yes because Resolution is set to 3840x2160) or should I set Resolution to 1080p and let the TV do the upscaling?

regards
steo
First. Don't use PC-input. Use Expert 1 or 2. You get 4:4:4 so don't worry.
Set your nvidia card to colorrange full and RGB (which you have).
Kodi limited range.

Tv:
Blacklevel should be normal. remove all processing options in TV, but leave sharpness enhancer or what it's called to on. (on means "off" on the 7 series). Do turn of noise reduction (I think this is already disabled by default in the expert modes) or frame interpolation too. Basically, turn off everything. HDMI deep color won't do anything. It's for enabling the possibility of sending HDR mode, you can turn it on but it wont do anything when using Ubuntu. Color gamut should be auto. Black level should be low (althoug might be switched around in other brands/models).

Basically you have it all set correctly except you need to use Expert 1 or 2 to get the best picture.
tanks for fast response. What you mean with "Expert 1/2" are the picture configuration settings. Yes I have set it to "Expert 1". What I mean with PC-Mode is that I have change the HDMI-input port to "pc mode" (not the picture settings which is a differnt setting). You can change this by long pressing the "input button" on the lg remote control. See here under "Miscellaneous settings":
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled/settings

On the same link see onder questions and answers:
Quote:What are the differences between PC mode and Game mode? The major difference is that the TV can properly display 4:4:4 color in PC mode. "PC mode" on the C7 is when the input's icon is changed to PC. Any picture mode can be used when in PC mode, so you can be in the Game picture mode while in PC mode. All picture modes have the same low input lag in PC mode (same input lag as non PC Game mode); however some settings are disabled, such as TruMotion, Real Cinema and Noise Reduction.
That was the reason to set the input to pc mode. This will disable "TrueMotion" and "realCinema" which I am not using.
What to you think now? Is this setting correct?

Where do you do the upsampling of fullHD content? On the pc (by setting a 4k resolution) or on the display (by setting fullHD resolution on pc)?
Let your TV do the upscaling so leave Kodi at 1080p.
(2018-05-28, 08:23)steo86 Wrote: tanks for fast response. What you mean with "Expert 1/2" are the picture configuration settings. Yes I have set it to "Expert 1". What I mean with PC-Mode is that I have change the HDMI-input port to "pc mode" (not the picture settings which is a differnt setting). You can change this by long pressing the "input button" on the lg remote control. See here under "Miscellaneous settings":
https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/lg/c7-oled/settings

On the same link see onder questions and answers:
Quote:What are the differences between PC mode and Game mode? The major difference is that the TV can properly display 4:4:4 color in PC mode. "PC mode" on the C7 is when the input's icon is changed to PC. Any picture mode can be used when in PC mode, so you can be in the Game picture mode while in PC mode. All picture modes have the same low input lag in PC mode (same input lag as non PC Game mode); however some settings are disabled, such as TruMotion, Real Cinema and Noise Reduction.
That was the reason to set the input to pc mode. This will disable "TrueMotion" and "realCinema" which I am not using.
What to you think now? Is this setting correct?

Where do you do the upsampling of fullHD content? On the pc (by setting a 4k resolution) or on the display (by setting fullHD resolution on pc)?

That is in relation to game mode, not Expert 1 and so on. When you send RGB it,s implicit that it's 4:4:4. Using 4:4:4 to describe RGB is unnecessary, it's a kinda stupid way to imply that you get alle the chroma resolution. So don't worry about it.
And 4:4:4 in context of RGB is wrong anyways ... but marketing.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
jeez! another debate on RGB 4:4:4. Here is the previous one: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...id=2243295

While the RGB 4:4:4 notation may be redundant and even unnecessary as it relates to HDMI, it is relevant when it comes to SDI. The term R'G'B' 4:4:4 is mentioned in several SMPTE standards as shown in the table below from SMPTE ST425. It is even mentioned in the H.264 specifications.

in kodi display settings do i use limited colour or leave it on ticked 
and for amd do i use rgb full or rgb limited 
and for samsung 4k tv which do i use low or normal or auto 
which is the best way to set it up
Kodi use Full, so leave Limited unchecked.
AMD use RGB Full.
Samsung use Normal.
HOW TO - Kodi 2D - 3D - UHD (4k) HDR Guide Internal & External Players iso menus
DIY HOME THEATER WIND EFFECT

W11 Pro 24H2 MPC-BE\HC madVR KODI 22 GTX960-4GB/RGB 4:4:4/Desktop 60Hz 8bit Video Matched Refresh rates 23,24,50,60Hz 8/10/12bit/Samsung 82" Q90R Denon S720W
Thumbs Up 
(2019-04-14, 01:30)brazen1 Wrote: Kodi use Full, so leave Limited unchecked.
AMD use RGB Full.
Samsung use Normal.

thank you

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Correct color settings of kodi with new LG OLED and upscaling.0