regarding sharing xbmc from a server
Hi, i just tried xbmc and it's quite awesome.
I plan to implement it to an internet cafe with :
- A multimedia server running ubuntu 
- 25 Clients running windows xp
All running on the same local network

My questions are :

1. I know there are ways to make xbmc works over the network, 
but is there anyway to share the a single metadata file on that server
so that my clients don't have to download covers and metadata stuff all over again?
Could anyone guide me step by step?

I've read the sharing guide with mysql, 
but can i share the metadata files without xbmc on the ubuntu server?

2. My second question regarding xbmc sharing, is the state of the video shared between all users?
If it Is there anyway to make xbmc stand individually for a user? 
i mean it wouldn't be funny if one user pause a movie and the others got paused too Sad

3. Regarding the video player, 
Is there anyway or patch to get rid the track bar below the video?
Because majority of the movies in here uses subtitle, and that thing is covering it.
I know you can just right click to remove it, but for casual user it might take a while to figure it out.

4. Is there a patch to add "Download" option on right click when browsing movies / music ?
I'm aware there's a file manager already, but it's a little too complicated for my customers..

Thanks.
(2018-05-26, 11:44)oliviakennedy Wrote: 25 Clients running windows xp
For the record, support for XBMC & Windows XP has stopped some 5 years ago...

You may want to look at Ubuntu 16.04/18.04 instead as a client OS, it will run the latest version of Kodi (provided the client PC's hardware specs are sufficient). It will also give you an uptodate operating system protecting from all the known security issues to date. And, Linux is much less prone to computer viruses. Running Windows XP on your network will get you hacked easily. Google for 'WannaCry attack' and find out.

1) Each client will check for thumbnails in a local cache, but there is the option to use 'path substitution' to store the cache thumbs onto a LAN server.

2) XBMC/Kodi has only 1 user. So if you have one centralized database, every connected client will share the 'watch state' with the other clients. XBMC/Kodi was designed to be used as a htpc application at home, not in a business-like internet cafe. Otherwise you need to create a separate database for each XBMC/Kodi client.

3) Alterations to the skin can be done, but it will require some skinning experience.

4) XBMC/Kodi is not a download application.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
regarding sharing xbmc from a server0