Linux Install the latest Kodi in Linux
Hi, right now I run Kodi 18  build (milhouse) on a Raspberry Pi 3 and Netflix and Viaplay

Now I'm curious if I can install it on a clean Linux on a computer that I have

I like to try because it feel when I run Netflix it get out of sync for image/sound/subtitle sometime and I'm not sure if that is with the power or Raspberry Pi only have 100 LAN

I'm just going to run kodi 18 with some add-ons so not sure what is the best Linux to use?

Maybe Ubuntu server, or Debian.

Do I have to run GUI or can I just use terminal to start kodi.

Do I have to install a Linux OS and then install Kodi and then run the nightbuild or is that any ready to use ISO with Linux and Kodi for a computer??
Use now: Plex
Testing: Kodi
Running: Xiaomi Mi Box S 4K
Milhouse 18 builds = Kodi Alpha . Meaning, stuff can break in more ways you can imagine, including sync issues. There is a forum thread for that, bugs do not solve themselves. Smile

"Best" Linux for now is default Ubuntu (Server). Linux Mint has its issues, and stay the heck away from Debian.

How are you planning to watch videos from only a terminal session..?

You can also install a normal Ubuntu desktop, use the proper PPA and run Kodi. Kodi + Netflix on a PC is not within my expertise, though.
I was thinking watch the movie from Kodi, Kodi does not need any desktop environment what I know.

Ok going to use Ubuntu server and I know it is a Alpha version, I just want to make sure it is not the hardware that make it out if sync Smile
Use now: Plex
Testing: Kodi
Running: Xiaomi Mi Box S 4K
If you're going to use Ubuntu Server use fritsch's guide in this forum. Will give you the best working system for Kodi on linux.
(2018-05-27, 22:39)cazz Wrote: Now I'm curious if I can install it on a clean Linux on a computer that I have
Yes. I previously followed a HowTo for XBMCbuntu (later KodiBuntu) but that's now outdated. 

Essentially I wanted a Kodi front-end then build out the back-end OS, so began with a media centre then turned it into a more fully-functioning server.

(2018-05-27, 22:39)cazz Wrote: I'm just going to run kodi 18 with some add-ons so not sure what is the best Linux to use?
This is pretty subjective.

I went with Ubuntu because that's what XBMCBuntu used and I was familiar enough with Linux to be able to troubleshoot server-based issues.  Desktop's another thing, so I stuck to a tutorial that did the minimum X configuration to provide me with a media screen, rather than build a desktop system then try to drop Kodi on top (which felt like an overkill).

However, if you simply want a media centre and not bothered about the underlying OS then picking one of those guides and following their recommendations tends to be a safer option.  I've got friends that have installed it under ScientificLinux and CentOS because they're much more familiar with RPM-based systems.

(2018-05-27, 22:39)cazz Wrote: Do I have to install a Linux OS and then install Kodi and then run the nightbuild or is that any ready to use ISO with Linux and Kodi for a computer??
Kinda yes to the former, no to the latter (given there's plenty of hardware differences, building an ISO could be a resource-draining activity with little returns).

I followed Fritsch's guide here: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955 - it talks you through an installation.  You could, however, look at using https://unetbootin.github.io/ to create a bootable installer.

I'll also echo the same warnings about nightly builds - are you after a stable media player, or do you want to assess recent betas and provide issue feedback to the dev team as part of their testing cycle?  Latest is not necessarily greatest, it's WIP until it's finalised.
(2018-06-06, 13:13)Preacher Wrote: This is pretty subjective.

Unfortunately it's not Wink

Ubuntu is the recommended OS for installing Kodi on Linux. I wouldn't use Debian beside you want to compile yourself. Debian is always patching things on their own (webserver, ffmpeg and so on). So the Kodi they ship is somewhat not supported by us or will generally fail. So if one wants to use Debian, we encourage to compile Kodi from source. If compiling the master branch (Kodi 18 alpha) ffmpeg 4.0 should be included (not sure).

If one wants a simple Kodi on some x86_64 machine...and considers a fresh installation....why not simply installing LibreELEC on that machine?

Not saying that fritsch's guide shouldn't be used!! But installing LibreELEC is done in a couple of minutes and it will show you exactly if it's the hardware or not.
(2018-06-07, 20:18)DaVu Wrote: Unfortunately it's not Wink

Ubuntu is the recommended OS for installing Kodi on Linux.
Sorry, perhaps I should have clarified... I read the question as "what's the best Linux to use" rather than "what distribution is recommended for running Kodi"

Definitely agree that Ubuntu has the best support, Kodi-wise.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Install the latest Kodi in Linux0