Do I need a Roku/FireTV Stick/Now TV as well?
I have been loving my new Pi3 B+, running Libreelec - am using it with TVHeadend and have just upgraded it to Leia, so am enjoying using it with my Netflix account too.

However, I discovered a slight issue over the weekend.

My wife and I were watching recordings of Escape to the Chateau and noted that every episode was available online (we only had season 1-2 recorded but 1-4 were available via 4 on demand).

I searched for a Kodi channel 4 app but realised that development for this stopped a long time ago.

I then decided to plug in my Linux laptop into my TV but 4OD would not work on that either (research confirmed that it is designed to play on Windows only).

After a few hours of research, the only way I found to watch 4OD on the laptop was to install the Windows version of Firefox (and Flashplayer) on my laptop and play it via Wine.

The hack worked, sort of - everything was fine once the video was playing but getting it to play each time often took multiple attempts, with error messages along the way.

I then decided to use an old Chromecast I had and cast the program, from a Windows PC in my study.  This worked perfectly but running to the office, each time I needed to pause the program became tedious.

Given the above, I need something more relaxing whenever I want to watch something on 4OD, so what are my options?

If there were some way to put 4OD on Kodi as an app, that would be the best option but it just does not seem that this is possible anymore, due to DRM issues.

I could use the Chromecast to cast from a tablet but I really do not like not having a remote control.

Ultimately, therefore, I need a device with a native 4OD app.  This is a shame as my Pi was helping to bring all my previous devices into one box.

If I do need to go down this route,  of all the devices that are out there, which once should i go for?

Thanks
Try the Google Home app - it can act as a remote for the Chromecast.

Beyond that as you've already said the DRM used is what killed of the kodi 4OD add-on, and even though Leia is better at dealing with DRM than earlier versions I'm not sure an add-on would be on the cards.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Do I need a Roku/FireTV Stick/Now TV as well?0