Is Switch to LIbrelec an upgrade or whole new install?
So if I follow the instructions on the Librelec site for installing via sd card in place of Openelc, then it boots to Kodi.....is everything I have going to be the same?  Kodi will boot up with all my files, favourites, and backups useable too?  Or is this a wipe out and I have to rebuild all libraries etc?
Thanks.
You _can_ upgrade, keeping all your data, and for most people it just works, but there's no guarantee as it all depends on the add-ons you have in your OpenELEC system

The best thing to do would be to make a backup of your existing system, enable ssh, then attempt an upgrade using the LibreELEC tar file in the Update folder.

If it works, happy days - welcome to LibreELEC.

If you have a problem then you can either downgrade back to OpenELEC (drop the OpenELEC tar file in the Upgrade folder, reboot), or you can troubleshoot by posting your LibreELEC logs - it's usually an add-on that causes problems and deleting/removing the add-on (using ssh) almost always works.

Having ssh access helps enormously when troubleshooting, so enable ssh in OpenELEC before attempting the upgrade (in OpenELEC username/password: root/openelec, in LibreELEC: root/libreelec).
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.
Thanks, Milhouse.  Very interesting.  I have not delved that deeply into system use, just using Kodi/Openelec as media player with docked drives.  All fine up to now.
But I am somewhat familiar with computer use though not so much with command line work.  I can refresh myself, so as to use SSH and Putty....but is there a software into SSH that is not command line for beginners like me?
Ah thanks anyway.  Getting the hang of it thanks to your direction.  I have found the page with useful command prompts and so forth.  Fun....whole new world.  Feel like a Disney princess.
Yes, ssh is command line only. It's useful when the GUI isn't working. Smile

You do have Samba access to a lot of folders (both in OpenELEC and LibreELEC) but not always the folders you need to access in order to get you out of a jam ((eg. .kodi/addons - I'm torn about enabling such access by default, as it could cause even more problems...)
Texture Cache Maintenance Utility: Preload your texture cache for optimal UI performance. Remotely manage media libraries. Purge unused artwork to free up space. Find missing media. Configurable QA check to highlight metadata issues. Aid in diagnosis of library and cache related problems.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is Switch to LIbrelec an upgrade or whole new install?0