Viewing programs still being recorded, aka 'time shifting'?
One thing Mythfrontend does extremely well is working very poorly for me in Kodi (librelec, Kodi Leia, mythtv dvr).   Basically, what I'm referring to is when you start recording something, like a basketball game and then start viewing it one hour into the game.     With Mythfrontend, the end time keeps increasing as more is recorded and I keep getting closer to live tv as I skip through commercials.   But, with Kodi, the end time stays as whatever it was when I started the game, and the skip ahead behavior seems to get skewed as I skip ahead further into the program.

Is this just a limitation, or are there any settings changes or tuning needed to 'time shift'?   This is a pretty core function for DVR usage, so I'm hoping this has improved since I last tried Kodi over a year ago.
Hi, not really. The end time still to progress and you can watch a current recording in progess until end. The only limitation is when you skip forward ahead the player can stop the playing as you are at the current end. But playing ahead works as expected.
Well ... no, not really as 'would be expected'.
Scenario:
- Use timer to record a show.
- Show starting, recording starting.
- After one hour recording, go to 'Default' recordings and start watching the show.
- Watch recording for 15 minutes.
- Use Fast Forward to move forward 1 hour (should be OK because by now there is 1hr + 15 minutes = 75 minutes of recording on the HDD)
- When coming closer to the 1 hour mark (using Fast Forward) the time-skip function only skips a maximum of a few seconds at a time (about 8 sec on my system) even if you try skipping 1 minute. This should not be happening as there is more than 15 minutes of recording left on the HDD.
- The last 15 minutes can only be Fast Forward 8 seconds at a time until catching-up with real-time broadcast.

So it seems that there is a timing calculation performed when you first 'open' the recording, which in the above scenario example takes into consideration that there is one-hour of recording material. However, the Fast Forward function does not account for the extra recording material recorded after starting to watch the recording (i.e. now there is more than 1 hr recorded). The recording length calculation only accounts for the total recording material on the HDD to be 1 hr when it is really 1 hr and 15 minutes (in above scenario). I would not say that this is expected PVR  behaviour ... there is something wrong somewhere with how the length of the actual recording on the HDD is evaluated during Fast Forward (not refreshed).
issue related to addon/backend. @janbar checkout vnsi which is working correctly in this regard. (v18)
Thanks FernetMenta. @janbar the previous Kodi v17 version of the Mythtv addon (same mythtv backend version) did not have this issue.
mmm the addon code hasn't changed since kodi 17. Seems a new behavior has to be handled for v18...

Edit: So I checked out vnsi and seen some seek features never mythtv addon has been handled before.

Fisrt I pointed this one:

cpp:
case SEEK_POSSIBLE:
return 1;
default:
return -1;

Second I pointed this other:

cpp:
if (nextPos >= m_currentPlayingRecordBytes)
{
return 0;
}

For instance mythtv addon doesn't handle SEEK_POSSIBLE. And It returns -1 when reached position is ahead length of recorded. So I have to read the new api comments. Thanks to report this mess.
This bug has been fixed in addon release 5.8.2 (kodi v18)
Fantastic ... will give it a go tonight when I get home (if addon update available) and will report back - thanks for your efforts!
(2018-08-07, 22:28)janbar Wrote: This bug has been fixed in addon release 5.8.2 (kodi v18)
 Seems only 5.8.1 is available through your ppa? Tried installing your Deb package (https://launchpad.net/~jlbarriere68/+arc..._amd64.deb) but did not install. Thanks
@LeKodeur my PPA provides packages for Ubuntu Bionic and Xenial. The package available for kodi v18 is kodi-pvr-mythtv-dev.

Is the APT command failled ?

Also the nightly build of kodi should be uptodate.
(2018-08-11, 13:28)janbar Wrote: @LeKodeur my PPA provides packages for Ubuntu Bionic and Xenial. The package available for kodi v18 is kodi-pvr-mythtv-dev.

Is the APT command failled ?

Also the nightly build of kodi should be uptodate.
 No, I'm on the nightly build Kodi v18 Beta2 (20180802) for Bionic but only v. 5.8.1 is available. First I removed the 'official' Kodi addon (kodi-pvrmythtv, v. 5.8.1) and apt installed your package (successfully, v. 5.8.2) but Kodi returns an error "Addon couldn't be loaded" when I start Kodi. So, removed your addon and re-installed Kodi's official kodi-pvrmythtv (v. 5.8.1) successfully. Hope this all makes sense Smile
Your package kodi-pvr-mythtv-dev for rev 5.8.2 still does not load successfully in kodi V18 (for Ubuntu Bionic). The packages install OK (.dev and .dev.dbg) but won't start with Kodi and is automatically disabled.
Got kodi-pvr-mythtv v5.8.2 update via Kodi nightly update today. Loaded just fine Wink ... will test the time shifting bug next and report back.
Seems perhaps the developers have broken Kodi? Some of the Live-TV controls have gone missing since the last 2 Kodi 18.0 updates (in last few days)? Changed skins and went back to 5.8.1 but makes no difference ... so seems Kodi has a new live-TV bug. The missing Live-TV (PVR) controls play/pause, skip forward, skip backwards, fast forward and rewind work OK with other video play modes (movies, TV shows, recorded TV, YouTube, video addons, etc). Has anyone else noticed or is it just me?

Edit: Forum Moderator, please remove this post as I'm currently getting nightly updates of Kodi 18.0. My apologies. Thanks
(2018-08-22, 15:09)LeKodeur Wrote: Seems perhaps the developers have broken Kodi? Some of the Live-TV controls have gone missing since the last 2 Kodi 18.0 updates (in last few days)? Changed skins and went back to 5.8.1 but makes no difference ... so seems Kodi has a new live-TV bug. The missing Live-TV (PVR) controls play/pause, skip forward, skip backwards, fast forward and rewind work OK with other video play modes (movies, TV shows, recorded TV, YouTube, video addons, etc). Has anyone else noticed or is it just me?

Edit: Forum Moderator, please remove this post as I'm currently getting nightly updates of Kodi 18.0. My apologies. Thanks
 I am experiencing the same issue as well.  From the milhouse x64 builds, this functionality breaks between builds #0817 and #0818.  I posted about this issue here - and according to @ksooo, the solution is to "implement the GetStreamTimes API function (properly)."

@janbar - would it possible for you to have a look at this?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Viewing programs still being recorded, aka 'time shifting'?0