amending music library with BPM and harmonic key colums
Music 
Hi folks!

The last couple of days I was reading into the addon development docs as I want to give that a shot. However I stumbled upon the fact that the kodi music library is missing said columns which I'd need for my project.

Is it possible to create and access these columns in the SQLite database from an addon (not DB Browser or similiar) or is that restricted? If it is possible, is the JSON-RPC API the right way to so?

Any ideas on this topic are highly appreciated (even statements like: "Learn to use the search function, this has been covered here and there and elsewhere")

Cheers!
(2018-06-02, 01:48)YetAnotherUser Wrote: Is it possible to create and access these columns in the SQLite database from an addon
I haven't heard from a user until now that he wants an addon have add/change Kodi database fields, but right now, there is no functionality in Kodi for users themselves to alter anything to any of the Kodi databases. The only moment that databases are created/changed is during a Kodi database upgrade.

Altering the music database should be done on a development level via the Kodi Github source code, so everyone can benefit. At the same time, Kodi is open-source, so you could create your own fork, and "mess" with the databases all you want. Smile

@DaveBlake ^^
It is a design principle that things outside Kodi are not able to alter the structure of the databases, and can only add/modify/delete data in a controlled way via JSON API. A few moments thought about what chaos a mallicious (or badly designed) addon could cause will help you understand why that is the case.

Changes to the design of the databases are done via code development. Kodi is open source, so in theory anyone with the skills, time and interest can contribute.  In practice making useful contributions to Kodi does require quite a bit of time and energy to get started - setting up a dev environment, learning about the current design and how your idea can besy be implemented, and patiience while  team members find time  to review and guide your work.

I am particularly interested in the music library, and actively working on improvements in that area of Kodi. I would suggest that if you have ideas for changes etc. come over to the music support forum and have a chat first. There is plenty of work to be done, and more core developers badly needed. 

Also as Klojum said, it is open source so maybe the place to start is to set up a dev environment, create a fork and work out how the existing code works. Maybe you can do more than play with Python addons?
Hey guys, thanks for your swift response!

I already thought that altering the database had to be restricted for the reasons @DaveBlake mentioned, but you only know for sure when you ask.

I think I'll clone the SQLite db and try playing a bit outside of kodi first. Once I am more confident about the direction I am going with this project, I'll try to fork and head to the music support forum.

You devs did a great job on building kodi, I absolutely love this software and be more than happy to contribute if I can.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
amending music library with BPM and harmonic key colums0