• 7(current)
OS X OSX Leia Nightlies seem to have broken 'Adjust Display refresh rate' function.
Righto,

So I added the overrides into a newly created advancedsettings.xml file in ~/Library/Application\ Support\Kodi\userdata and that worked.

So is this something macOS users with 24Hz capable panels will need to do forever now?
Yep until macos supports fractional frame rates - which they do on tvOS btw.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
How does that make sense given that 17.6 managed to do it?

I can only guess that 18 uses a different API/framework now?
Having that special case for Mac OS inside the algorithm for selecting frame rates was not accepted by the video player maintainer.
That algorithm was redone in Kodi 18 and he former behavior was considered wrong in multiple ways from the video player developer.
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
ifdef haters Smile
To re-open this thread, i used to have the same problem like reported before with Kodi 18.1 not automatically switching TV frame rate to 24Hz with 23.976fps movie files. This was resolved with the advancedsettings.xml file from this tread. But then i was having the same stuttering choppy video like others reported as well. I'm using a Mac Mini 2012 model with hardware acceleration enabled. I reverted back to Kodi 17.6 which does the switching correct and plays smooth in 24Hz. My only problem is that Kodi 17.6 sometimes crashes on stoping playback, usually after a couple of movies.
I decided for this reason to once more try v18.3 this time and to my surprise it plays smooth now in 24Hz, just needs the xml settings to correctly switch to 24Hz. Only problem now is that it crashes Kodi consistently on stopping playback. It shows a black screen for a few seconds and then i get logged out of the OS and shows the login screen of OSX. If this could be fixed then 24Hz playback is fully functional again on my Mac Mini. I've included the log file after the crash, hoping this could be helpful.

Log: https://paste.kodi.tv/nalofirado
(2019-08-22, 23:13)Arjan2856 Wrote: To re-open this thread, i used to have the same problem like reported before with Kodi 18.1 not automatically switching TV frame rate to 24Hz with 23.976fps movie files. This was resolved with the advancedsettings.xml file from this tread. But then i was having the same stuttering choppy video like others reported as well. I'm using a Mac Mini 2012 model with hardware acceleration enabled. I reverted back to Kodi 17.6 which does the switching correct and plays smooth in 24Hz. My only problem is that Kodi 17.6 sometimes crashes on stoping playback, usually after a couple of movies.
I decided for this reason to once more try v18.3 this time and to my surprise it plays smooth now in 24Hz, just needs the xml settings to correctly switch to 24Hz. Only problem now is that it crashes Kodi consistently on stopping playback. It shows a black screen for a few seconds and then i get logged out of the OS and shows the login screen of OSX. If this could be fixed then 24Hz playback is fully functional again on my Mac Mini. I've included the log file after the crash, hoping this could be helpful.

exactly my problem too but still no fix available.
(2019-09-05, 22:03)neurosis13 Wrote:
(2019-08-22, 23:13)Arjan2856 Wrote: To re-open this thread, i used to have the same problem like reported before with Kodi 18.1 not automatically switching TV frame rate to 24Hz with 23.976fps movie files. This was resolved with the advancedsettings.xml file from this tread. But then i was having the same stuttering choppy video like others reported as well. I'm using a Mac Mini 2012 model with hardware acceleration enabled. I reverted back to Kodi 17.6 which does the switching correct and plays smooth in 24Hz. My only problem is that Kodi 17.6 sometimes crashes on stoping playback, usually after a couple of movies.

exactly my problem too but still no fix available.  
Several users reported the same issue. Seems not much Dev support for OSX on here right now. Went back to Plex and will try again someday with Kodi v20 or something.
Mac OS 14 Big Sur is coming soon.
Will the refresh rate switch work then or still the same problem? 

I really hate to ditch my Mac mini as a mediacenter for something else just for this problem.

Would be changing the default player help?
Has anything been done about this issue for the release of Kodi 19?
"The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television." (Videodrome (1983), David Cronenberg)
Smile 
(2021-02-16, 19:25)Brian O'Blivion Wrote: Has anything been done about this issue for the release of Kodi 19?
I believe I can now answer this myself. I installed Kodi 19 yesterday and was very pleased indeed to find that automatic changes of refresh rate now seems to work without issues. (I also noticed that I can now play 25/50 Hz videos (e.g. those originating from PAL DVDs) at 24 Hz, even with de-interlacing activated, which means that changes of display refresh rate are seldom needed anyway.)

Many thanks !
"The television screen is the retina of the mind's eye. Therefore, the television screen is part of the physical structure of the brain. Therefore, whatever appears on the television screen emerges as raw experience for those who watch it. Therefore, television is reality, and reality is less than television." (Videodrome (1983), David Cronenberg)
  • 7(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
OSX Leia Nightlies seem to have broken 'Adjust Display refresh rate' function.0