Having trouble adding large TV show collection to my library. Naming.
Apologies if there is a solution to this, I've done some searching but not found one so I'm hoping someone with experience has some advice for me.

After adding all my sources, scanning them and selecting correct options for the folders that aren't cooperating I turned to the wiki hoping I could learn how to solve my problem. Turns out, many of the shows do not have correct naming and Kodi will not scan them properly.
If it was only a few shows I'd have no problem renaming each individual episode to the correct filename but there are so many of them that it would take me an unreasonable amount of time to rename them all.
However, if that's my only option then I guess I'll have to do it.
Maybe there is an application that can rename many files at once following a specific pattern?

I've tried to grasp the custom filenames chapter of the wiki but I can't understand much of what is written. I have some difficulties with learning things and what makes it worse is my "tech" English is very limited so a lot of what is written looks like "mumbling" to me (I'm not sure how else to explain it).
I've located the folder in which the 'advancedsettings.xml' should be located, I just need to know what's supposed to be in the file.
I think I've figured out the tvshowmatching action="append" followed by regexp values.
These values are the things that I can't work out. I've spent hours trying to figure out what to put in there but my brain won't let me do it because I can't comprehend what it is I'm writing and it's getting really frustrating.
So far I have identified these combinations that I'd like to be able to successfully scan (or scrape, not sure which is right but basically not only show up in the file system but in the library):
show A\season 1\01.01 - name.avi
show B\season 1\01-name.avi (this one is the worst as it's the most common one in my collection)
show C\episode 1 - name.avi

Thanks in advance for any help you may provide
/Fred
Hello @FreddoGB

No problems in asking for assistance if you get confused in the wiki.

(2018-06-11, 07:44)FreddoGB Wrote: I've located the folder in which the 'advancedsettings.xml' should be located, I just need to know what's supposed to be in the file.
Simple answer... Nothing. Unless there is something specific you are trying to achieve. Point me to the part of the wiki that states a requirement for an entry in advancedsettings.xml and I'll see if I can explain what you need to do.

(2018-06-11, 07:44)FreddoGB Wrote: I think I've figured out the tvshowmatching action="append" followed by regexp values.
Is this what you want in the advancedsettings.xml. Yes they are difficult and even I can't figure them out Wink

I think it would be best if you give us examples of your folder structure and naming structure and we can either help you with Regex's or tell you the best method to adjust naming. Just be aware that Regex's will work on uniformly named shows. But if your naming is just all over the place with no real format, then they won't work. It may work for one or two shows that happen to match, but not the others. Start using too many Regex's and the scanner will just become confused and you will end up with some pretty weird results.

As stated in the wiki the best naming format is this...

f:\TV Show 1\American Gods\American Gods S01E01.mkv

TV Show 1 = Kodi Source

American Gods = TV Show folder
American Gods S01E01.mkv = Episode name

Your Naming Option A is no good. It requires a regex.
Your Naming Option B is no good. It requires a regex. See second example here... https://kodi.wiki/view/Naming_video_file...s#Examples
Your Naming Option C is no good. It requires Season information unless you are using Anime.

A thread full of Regex's can be found here... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=51614

There are also stand alone programs that can rename your files automatically for you, and it may be worth your while to check them out.

The Renamer is spoken of quite highly but is now a paid product... http://www.therenamer.com/
Also Tiny Media Manager... https://forum.kodi.tv/forumdisplay.php?fid=204
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-06-11, 08:16)Karellen Wrote: Start using too many Regex's and the scanner will just become confused and you will end up with some pretty weird results.
I didn't consider this at all. I thought I could add "filters" to my scan with the regex thing so if I have lots of shows structured like Season\SS.EE-name.avi or Season\EE-name.avi they'd show up in library.
Most shows have the classic s01e01 or similar structure but many have just \\server\source1\show1\Season1\01-name.avi like mentioned above.
But to avoid issues I'll just use that tinyMediaManager application and rename the files that refuse to show up in the library. Can't believe I didn't come across that earlier O_o
Thanks a bunch for your help!
No problems.

Feel free to ask if you get stuck. Keep using this thread so I can refer back to your setup details. Also a Debug Log in future which captures an Update Library is very useful as we can see where the scan or scrape is tripping up.

Scan- The internal process Kodi uses to find your local video and music files. If NFO Files are available, the scanner will add them to the library
Scrape- If there are no NFO Files, the scraper add-on takes over and looks for information on-line, commonly called Scraping.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Having trouble adding large TV show collection to my library. Naming.0