Player capable of playing 4k 10 bit H265 media (anime in particular)
Content is stored on a samba share. File copy speeds in Windows <-> samba share are about 7-10 MB (mega bytes) per second. I prefer traditional Linux over Android simply because you have more control
- Apple TV 4K using the MrMC App - a quality setup.
- Apollo Lake onwards - Intel i series Hardware running LibreELEC Kodi (no 4K HDR)

(2018-06-15, 12:01)wrxtasy Wrote: - Apple TV 4K using the MrMC App - a quality setup.
- Apollo Lake onwards - Intel i series Hardware running LibreELEC Kodi (no 4K HDR)
 Would vero 4k work? Not really interested in AppleTV and I don't want to build a HTPC.
No you need something with a decent CPU package because 1080p 10bit H264 aka Hi10P Anime needs to be CPU software decoded, that is exactly why I made those two suggestions.
A S905X AMLogic box like a Vero 4K has a relatively weak CPU, but a really decent GPU package for up to 10bit 4K HDR H265/HEVC video hardware decoding.

There is NO 10bit H264 hardware decoding included on any media player because it's a non standard video compression method used by Anime "scene" groups.

(2018-06-17, 10:11)wrxtasy Wrote: No you need something with a decent CPU package because 1080p 10bit H264 aka Hi10P Anime needs to be CPU software decoded, that is exactly why I made those two suggestions.
A S905X AMLogic box like a Vero 4K has a relatively weak CPU, but a really decent GPU package for up to 10bit 4K HDR H265/HEVC video hardware decoding.

There is NO 10bit H264 hardware decoding included on any media player because it's a non standard video compression method used by Anime "scene" groups.
 So the Vero 4k could handle 10 bit H265, just not 10 bit H264?
Yes the AMLogic S9xx family can easily hardware decode 4K 10bit H265/HEVC content.

If you need to stream high bitrate 4K 10bit HEVC reliably you have to use NFS protocol networking with S9xx devices if they only have 100M / Fast Ethernet, otherwise a USB3 > Gigabit Ethernet adapter needs to be used.
There are no such issues on devices with Gigabit (1000M) Ethernet.

There are improvements in v18, but it's still software decoded, so YMMV. 

Sam
(2018-06-17, 15:30)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: There are improvements in v18, but it's still software decoded, so YMMV. 

Sam
 Could you elaborate? Are you saying it is possible? Also, I remember reading a post somewhere about the HDMI cable included with the Vero 4k not supporting CEC/4k. Could you confirm this? Would I need to buy a separate HDMI cable if I got the Vero 4k?
(2018-06-15, 12:01)wrxtasy Wrote: - Apple TV 4K using the MrMC App - a quality setup.
 So the best bet is to use Apple TV 4K? The Apollo Lake's don't support 4K HDR?
(2018-06-17, 10:11)wrxtasy Wrote: No you need something with a decent CPU package because 1080p 10bit H264 aka Hi10P Anime needs to be CPU software decoded, that is exactly why I made those two suggestions.

I'm assuming an Intel 8700K running a Plex server with CPU Software transcoding and viewing on a media streaming box would be a better alternative than decoding with a media streaming box in this particular case?
It's just idiotic to throw a CPU on nowadays formats ... especially with 10 bit and 4k - while a simple cheap kaby-lake r can decode + encode hevc 4k faster than 30 fps ... (Plex needs to support that of course)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
My choices are limited to the:
1.Vero 4K+
2. Apple TV 4K
3. or using my Coffee Lake PC running the Plex server, without hardware GPU acceleration since I am not paying for Plex Pass

My understanding from this thread is that this codec has no hardware acceleration support and the CPUs on the two streaming boxes that I have will stutter due to lack of performance. Am I understanding the anime (10 bit h.264) issue incorrectly?
(2018-10-06, 16:55)Roen Wrote: My understanding from this thread is that this codec has no hardware acceleration support and the CPUs on the two streaming boxes that I have will stutter due to lack of performance. Am I understanding the anime (10 bit h.264) issue incorrectly?

yes
(2018-10-06, 19:19)Matt Devo Wrote:
(2018-10-06, 16:55)Roen Wrote: My understanding from this thread is that this codec has no hardware acceleration support and the CPUs on the two streaming boxes that I have will stutter due to lack of performance. Am I understanding the anime (10 bit h.264) issue incorrectly?

yes 
 Would you be able to correct my misunderstanding?
10bit h264 aka Anime is a non standard video compression method.
You need a decent CPU package to CPU software decode it like an Apple TV 4K or modern Intel Hardware.

The NVIDIA Shield might be able to handle 1080p Anime as well. It's CPU package is not as powerful however as the two mentioned above.

AMLogic and virtually all ARM based Chipset media players cannot handle the CPU software decoding required for reliable Anime playback.

A Coffee Lake Plex server will very likely be able to transcode Anime into something that can be hardware decoded by a whole bunch of Kodi media players.

The Apple TV 4K for example using the Infuse or MrMC Apps can interface with a Plex database and file server and direct play anything, and there is also the Plex for Kodi Addon and PlexKodiConnect Addon as well for regular Kodi media players:

https://kodi.tv/plex-add-on-for-kodi
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=262621

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Player capable of playing 4k 10 bit H265 media (anime in particular)0