• 18(current)
Solved XVID/MPEG-4/MPEG-2 files in SD quality play in slow motion
(2019-01-19, 10:44)fritsch Wrote: Try again with SW Decoding: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk - might crash and burn ;-)
Final solution even with a GLES3 goodie: https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/pull/15286
 But that only works if you deactivate HW decoding?
It improves the SW decoding (more correctly the Shader based rendering path) ... where needed (old divx files, mpeg-2 with stills, live tv where mediacodec cannot correctly deinterlace in 576i, etc.)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I know Kodi devs do not like workarounds but with Linux (AML) Kodi settings (and SPMC / MrMC) there are handy options to disable mpeg2/mpeg4/h.264 hardware decode, enable ffmpeg SD content software decode or hardware decode all content.

Which comes in real handy for "corner" video decode cases on ARM platforms - especially Android.
In the end it's Kodi users who benefit from such flexibility with set and forget settings - and a reason why Kodi forks get created in the first place.

Yeah - as we had this discussion. Not a friend of gui settings in 50 languages for "corner cases" polluting the menu of the other millions that don't need it.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I can now get smooth YADIF2x 576i mpeg2 deinterlace IF I set the Kodi GUI limit to 720p.
This is on on a (modded) GLES 3.2 equipped S912 MINIX U9. CPU load is a LOT lower after PR #15268 Smile

Maybe a simple addition to auto enable (Android) software decoding of mpeg2 content with a width 800 and below (like we had for mpeg4) might be a easily implementable and usable option now GLES ARM rendering performance has increased ?

Could you test: http://mirrors.kodi.tv/test-builds/andro...bi-v7a.apk as well?

Something better, something worse?
@fritsch a few details of what you have improved would be interesting before I start a test...

If you only improved SW decoding, it doesn't make much sense to me if you didn't implement the switch solution as suggested by @wrxtasy. I don't switch HW decoding on and off manually all the time. My wife and kids would laugh at me if I wouldn't be able to set it right just once ;-)
Your text makes no sense :-) - I think you realize that yourself. As you were the guy wanting to have HW decoding for everything enabled. Guess what you had to do with the switch ... switching it ON and OFF as there are files that don't work with HW acceleration on.
(2019-01-20, 12:29)fritsch Wrote: Your text makes no sense :-) - I think you realize that yourself. As you were the guy wanting to have HW decoding for everything enabled. Guess what you had to do with the switch ... switching it ON and OFF as there are files that don't work with HW acceleration on.
but that makes sense *cry*

I personally don't need this switch or SW decoding, because I've recoded all the old packed B-frames XVIDs by now (yes, I had a few, too). I just wanted to offer you to help you with the test, because you are still working on the SW decoding performance (for whatever reason).

However, these well-meant optimizations don't make sense for me, because I wouldn't switch off HW decoding manually just to watch old movies, and then switch it on again.

But I thought about the other users, who would probably use such a switch, if you have a lot of these old XVID/DIVX encoding videos. In short, I would only improve the SW decoding if you could automatically activate this setting for problematic SD content.
I also tested lots of MPEG-2 and MPEG-4 ASP (DivX, Xvid) and everything plays fine with HW decoding on my Sony BRAVIA (except for the packed bitstream stuff of course).

Especially when playing the older SD stuff, going through the HW pipeline is so much superior with respect to image quality. The scaler on Sony BRAVIA really makes a huge difference.
(2019-01-20, 18:37)rainman74 Wrote: However, these well-meant optimizations don't make sense for me, because I wouldn't switch off HW decoding manually just to watch old movies, and then switch it on again.

It may not make sense for Sony but downstream forks of Kodi, LibreELEC and CoreELEC see very notable improvements for such extras like SW decoding of h.264 content when using the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon. That auto defaults to SW decoding already.

There are other improvements that benefit a bunch of ARM platforms, not just Android.

(2019-01-19, 16:05)fritsch Wrote: Yeah - as we had this discussion. Not a friend of gui settings in 50 languages for "corner cases" polluting the menu of the other millions that don't need it.

Please explain this when there is already existing code in Kodi Leia with all these "50 languages" also already contained within the code base for such mpeg2 and mpeg4 SW / HW switching.
It's not hard at all to limit such a settings to AML and Android only so millions of other users are not annoyed.

Maybe you should rip that existing Kodi user settings code out if you are such an opponent of extra Kodi user settings pollution ?

(2019-01-23, 11:05)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-01-20, 18:37)rainman74 Wrote: However, these well-meant optimizations don't make sense for me, because I wouldn't switch off HW decoding manually just to watch old movies, and then switch it on again.

It may not make sense for Sony but downstream forks of Kodi, LibreELEC and CoreELEC see very notable improvements for such extras like SW decoding of h.264 content when using the Kodi Leia Netflix Addon. That auto defaults to SW decoding already.

There are other improvements that benefit a bunch of ARM platforms, not just Android.   
All the more a cross-platform manual switch then makes sense to switch the HW decoding for such content on/off. So everybody can set it up in the way that is best for his platform.

So just activate the existing switches in general, they are already included in the language files anyway.

(2019-01-23, 11:16)wrxtasy Wrote:
(2019-01-19, 16:05)fritsch Wrote: Yeah - as we had this discussion. Not a friend of gui settings in 50 languages for "corner cases" polluting the menu of the other millions that don't need it.

Please explain this when there is already existing code in Kodi Leia with all these "50 languages" also already contained within the code base for such mpeg2 and mpeg4 SW / HW switching.
It's not hard at all to limit such a settings to AML and Android only so millions of other users are not annoyed.

Maybe you should rip that existing Kodi user settings code out if you are such an opponent of extra Kodi user settings pollution ?   
These existing settings are legacy and will be ripped out sooner or later. There will be nothing added for such corner cases and I certainly will not accept such settings for Android.
That it already exist is zero excuse for reusing the same logic for something that could be fixed in a better way. Even better, start bitching at manufacturers for fixing their firmware. If the firmware is broken just return the device and do NOT expect us to take the support burden.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
Maybe after the 27th power word of Martijn we can finally finish this already solved thread? Wink
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XVID/MPEG-4/MPEG-2 files in SD quality play in slow motion1