passthrough works, but no real separate sounds from rear speakers
Hi all,

I'm new at this forum, but I was wondering if someone can help me?

I have an android streamer (xtreamer wonder) who still does the job. But when I compare a DTS or Atmos test movie played via youtube app (where the sound is perfectly separated on all speakers) with the same test movies via Kodi, the sound from the rear speakers is not as clear and not separated. The sound from the front and center speakers is perfect though.
This is the setup:
Xtreamer wonder with HDMI to PIONEER AV RECEIVER VSX-832.
KODI 17.6:
number of chanels: 2.0
output config: optimized
audio passthrough enabled

Passthrough enabled on streamer settings as well as in KODI.

Let me know if you need anymore info about the system setup. Thanks in advance for your help! :-)
if you tell it you only have 2 channels - then 2 channels is what you will get. configure it for 5.0/1
https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Audio
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
sorry but this is what I read:

1.2 Number of channels
Settings level:Basic
Description:Select the number of channels supported by the audio connection, or the number of speakers if connected by analogue connections. This setting does not apply to passthrough audio.
Note: S/PDIF supports 2.0 channels only but can still output multichannel audio using a format supported by passthrough.

So if you use passthrough, you should use 2.0. right?

If I check https://kodi.wiki/view/Settings/System/Audio it seems I did everything right...
(2018-06-19, 12:54)DaveTML Wrote: So if you use passthrough, you should use 2.0. right?
 Yes

Edit: can you pls. provide a kodi debug log playing such a stream?
If you have time for more logs:

1.)
- connect to device
- navigate to a stream to play (dont start)
- adb logcat -c
play the stream some seconds
- adb logcat -d | pastebinit
provide both kodi.log + logcat

2.)
same as 1.), but with youtube app.
provide logcat
(2018-06-19, 12:58)peak3d Wrote:
(2018-06-19, 12:54)DaveTML Wrote: So if you use passthrough, you should use 2.0. right?
 Yes

Edit: can you pls. provide a kodi debug log playing such a stream?
If you have time for more logs:

1.)
- connect to device
- navigate to a stream to play (dont start)
- adb logcat -c
play the stream some seconds
- adb logcat -d | pastebinit
provide both kodi.log + logcat

2.)
same as 1.), but with youtube app.
provide logcat 
I'm very sorry, but have been trying without succes to get the logs.
can't seem to make an usb connection to the streamer...
(2018-06-20, 14:40)DaveTML Wrote: can't seem to make an usb connection to the streamer...

No need to:

https://kodi.tv/addon/program-add-ons-sc...e-uploader

The "number of channels" shouldn´t be relevant if passthrough is in use. Guessing you are connected via HDMI to the amp? The number of channels is only relevant if you have passthrough disabled and if you are using a HDMI connection, you are able to setup 5.1. If you would use something else S/PDIF or Toslink you have to set it to 2.0 as both (S/PDIF and Toslink) only have 2 channels via PCM.
(2018-06-20, 15:28)DaVu Wrote: The "number of channels" shouldn´t be relevant if passthrough is in use. Guessing you are connected via HDMI to the amp? The number of channels is only relevant if you have passthrough disabled and if you are using a HDMI connection, you are able to setup 5.1. If you would use something else S/PDIF or Toslink you have to set it to 2.0 as both (S/PDIF and Toslink) only have 2 channels via PCM. 
Indeed. Passthrough via HDMI.
I'm pretty sure all my settings on the streamer and in Kodi are correct, but the difference in "rear"sound between youtube and Kodi is very big. 

I'll try to install the kodi logfile app and get you guys the link ;-)
Thx for the help so far!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
passthrough works, but no real separate sounds from rear speakers0