Is it possible to sort albums by original release date?
Simple as that. I'd rather to have albums sorted by original year instead of the year the album was re-released. If it's impossible to achieved on Kodi is there some way of copy 'originaldate' to 'date' tag through MB Picard?
I think this is not possible because when you update the album, the system will update the current date and take that date as the album release date. You can contact the administrator for help with solving the problem
In MusicBrainz Picard, in options, advanced, scripting, add the following lines:

$setmulti(albumartists,%_albumartists%)
$set(date,$left(%originaldate%,4))

This will retrieve the original date rather than the release date, unfortunately you'll haave to retag to pick up the original date.
Current treatment of date is very simple - year, taken from a number of different tags but only a single value held in the db. I want to add support for all the kinds of dates there are as tags - original and release. I started implementing this, someone else moved it forwards but the attempt stalled (probably my fault for not having the free time). Anyway it is still yet to be completed. To be honest I would suggest that you leave your music tagged if it is, and wait for Kodi to catch up with this functionality.
I guess this functionality hasn't been implemented yet, I just tried the Leia Alpha 3 and the sort methods are the same of previous versions.
Sorry no not yet. It is on my list, and something I would like personally too so it will happen eventually, just need more hours in the day.
This will also involve re-tagging your music via MusicBrainz, and it will also involve "moving" the albums that MusicBrainz tags to a separate folder from the one they currently reside in, as (to the best of my knowledge) MB-Picard won't rename "in-situ" folders, but in addition to Davey's suggestion (above), you can also try my MusicBrainz tagging script / nomenclature...

Copy one of the optional lines below into the "Options -> Options -> File naming -> Name Files Like This" section overwriting the default selection (MusicBrainz Picard):

Option 1 (DiscNumber in Filename + Disc Folders + Album Name Only): 
Code:
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/%album%/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),Disc %discnumber%)/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1), %discnumber%-,)$num(%tracknumber%,2) - $left(%artist%,32) - $left(%title%,32)

Option 2 (DiscNumber in Filename + Disc Folders + Album Name + Date - Trailing): 
Code:
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/%album% $if(%date%,[$left(%date%,4)])/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),Disc %discnumber%)/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1), %discnumber%-,)$num(%tracknumber%,2) - $left(%artist%,32) - $left(%title%,32)

Option 3: (DiscNumber in Filename + Disc Folders + Album Name + Date - Leading):  
Code:
$if2(%albumartist%,%artist%)/$if(%date%,[$left(%date%,4)] )%album%/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1),Disc %discnumber%)/$if($gt(%totaldiscs%,1), %discnumber%-,)$num(%tracknumber%,2) - $left(%artist%,32) - $left(%title%,32)

----

NOTES:

• Folders will be named with the 'AlbumArtist' value if present (else 'TrackArtist'), and files with the 'TrackArtist' value as follows (Option 1);
    Code:
    "<Target Folder>\AlbumArtist\Album\Disc DISC#[1]\DISC#[1]-TRACK#[2] - TrackArtist[32] - TrackName (Feat. Artists)[32].EXT"

• Windows has a 326 character, path length limit (incl. filename), so the above limits the TrackArtist lengths to 32 and TrackName lengths to 32 characters maximum. This can be adjusted to suit individual needs.

• Disc number items are applied only if the Discnumber (Totaldiscs) field is populated in the track's tag, and is greater than 1. Dates will only be appended (or prepended, depending on option used) to the album folder if the track tags contain the relevant 'date' tag, otherwise only the album name will be written as part of the file path.

• Using MusicBrainz Picard regex expressions to conditionally add the release dates (if present in the tags), means curved brackets cannot be used as it conflicts with the regex statement syntax. Additionally, using the 'date' tag as a source, the regex expression in options 2 and 3 will insert ONLY the first 4 digits of the data in the tag as part of the folder path. This assumes that the tag data is saved in YYYY-MM-DD (US) format as a pose to DD-MM-YYYY (EU) format. The '$left' portion of the statement may be substituted with '$right' if the format is of the EU style.

• Feat. Artists requires the 'Feat. Artists In Track Names' plugin.

Personally, I use "Option 3". As this then populates file lists and such in the "Files" section of the library by release date. And since I already use the solution Davey proposed, this means that (in the main), for each artist in my library, while the main "Album View" will list the albums alphabetically, in the "Files" view, they are ordered first by "Album Artist", then drilling down, by original release year. This does depend mind you, on the person who uploaded the MusicBrainz data, to have had the motivation to have submitted the release with *all* the relevant data, including release year. As good as MusicBrainz is, it relies heavily on the effort (or lack thereof) of the users who submit the metadata.
I'm very interested in this feature too. Any chance to see it applied to one of the next kodi releases?
By the way I saw here that the testing phase seems very promising (as far as I understood). Is there a way to test this functionality on my music library?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is it possible to sort albums by original release date?0