Setting up Kodi on Ubuntu
(2018-06-28, 15:15)disaacso Wrote: you can use a desktop install with the guide given.
Okay, so I tried this and started with Fritsch's guide.

Crashed and burned on the second command:
Quote:sudo apt-get install ssh software-properties-common xorg xserver-xorg-legacy alsa-utils mesa-utils git-core librtmp1 libmad0 lm-sensors libmpeg2-4 avahi-daemon libnfs11 libva2 vainfo i965-va-driver linux-firmware dbus-x11 udisks2 openbox pastebinit udisks2 xserver-xorg-video-intel

Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree       
Reading state information... Done
Note, selecting 'git' instead of 'git-core'
E: Unable to locate package librtmp1 libmad0
E: Unable to locate package libnfs11 libva2 vainfo
E: Unable to locate package udisks2 xserver-xorg-video-intel
How to proceed?

Guys, I must say also that when I see that Fritsch's thread has grown to 324(!) pages on this forum, I feel like it must be full of pitfalls for mere mortals.
It's not - more than 500 thousand people just followed the guide on the first page - so whatever you do - you are doing it wrong :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I guess me and 324 pages worth of other people too lol
Post: lsb_release -a | pastebinit - I think you took the wrong Ubuntu as startup.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thanks for this pointer. Here's what I get:
Quote:lsb_release -a
No LSB modules are available.
Distributor ID: Ubuntu
Description: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS
Release: 18.04
Codename: bionic
All the above packages are included. Did you by any chance disable the universe archive?

Example:
Code:
fritsch@L380:~$ apt-cache policy libva2
libva2:
  Installiert:           2.1.0-3
  Installationskandidat: 2.1.0-3
  Versionstabelle:
 *** 2.1.0-3 500
        500 http://de.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

All there.
(2018-07-06, 18:12)fritsch Wrote: All the above packages are included. Did you by any chance disable the universe archive?
Some of those packages are even in the main archive.
Code:
$ apt policy librtmp1
librtmp1:
  Installed: 2.4+20151223.gitfa8646d.1-1
  Candidate: 2.4+20151223.gitfa8646d.1-1
  Version table:
 *** 2.4+20151223.gitfa8646d.1-1 500
        500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
        100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

Did all repositories get disabled? Can you post the full output of
Code:
apt policy
to paste.ubuntu.com and share the link?
I think he just ignored the 18.04 before being told.
Thanks for your help. Here's the apt policy: http://paste.ubuntu.com/p/kzF6FBW9tY/

As for disabling stuff, idk, all of this is far beyond my understanding of Linux.
please also post the output of:

apt-cache policy librtmp1 | nc termbin.com 9999

As that version for example hasn't changed since 2015 and is also available in 16.04 what I'm still running here.
(2018-07-07, 06:17)DaVu Wrote: apt-cache policy librtmp1 | nc termbin.com 9999
I see:

http://termbin.com/vuly

Also, pardon my ignorance, but I don't understand this comment, above:
Quote:I think he just ignored the 18.04 before being told.
I thought I have Ubuntu 18.04 (?)
I don't understand it either. But that has nothing to say. I guess he will explain what he means soon Wink

In the end, and especially for that part I asked for above, it shouldn't even matter if you might not be at 18.04 as the same version is also available for 16.04. So the command you got some errors with, shouldn't gave you any error like

E: Unable to locate package librtmp1

as it obviously exists and is already installed.

So I don't see why an error like that should come up at all.
videolan master daily... I thought you followed my how-to...
I'm following this how-to: https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=231955

I searched for "videolan" is see if I missed a step, but I only find it mentioned in post #2708, way down in the thread.

Is there a more up-to-date how-to that I should be following?
How did the videolan ppa come into your apt sources list?

The howto you linked is up2date and works out of the box if you don't try to "improvize" yourself.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Setting up Kodi on Ubuntu0