4K video playback - Kodi 17 vs 18 - Extreme difference (Some good, some bad) - Why?
(2018-07-09, 12:07)jjd-uk Wrote:
(2018-07-08, 22:11)Nom1fan Wrote:
(2018-07-07, 17:53)drpizznock Wrote: Can you also confirm that your render method in Kodi's Player setting is set to Pixel Shader and not auto or dxva 
 This changed a lot ! Now in Kodi 18 preAlpha2 with Pixel Shaders instead of Auto, I get very nice colors on "The Matrix".
Although, "The Terminator II" now looks better than on Kodi 17.6, it still looked much more vivid with Render method set to Auto, but you can be the judge. Please compare the following screenshots with the ones from my first post:

The Terminator II - Kodi 18 - Pixel Shaders

It's been a while since I've watched it, but I don't ever remember these scenes being particularly vivid, are you sure that is not a correct representation? and the more vivid one is not overblowing the colours like a vivid mode on a TV should never ever be used as it will give you incorrect colours. 
 I thought about that. It might be. It's just that the whole movie looked so awesome to me and many other people when we watched it that way. Just a matter of taste, perhaps.

Anyway I will test on Kodi 18 nightly build and report back. Either way the render mode was definitely the way to go with "The Matrix" which was unwatchable previously. So many thanks to all of you! You've been a huge help! Hopefully this thread will also help other people in the future.
It can be a matter of taste. There are many different ways to tone map. Some end up saturated, others less so. Unless you are watching at the same brightness as the source, the end result is an estimate because of the change in color that happens when luminance is reduced significantly. Overall saturation and perception of hue will change and it can't be corrected 100% without making the image brighter.

What is the source of the tone mapping algorithm used when DXVA is selected? I assume pixel shader is coming from Team Kodi.
When dxva is selected it's under complete control of the gpu drivers.
(2018-07-10, 01:42)jjd-uk Wrote: When dxva is selected it's under complete control of the gpu drivers.
 Interesting stuff. It seems they didn't do a very good job since "The Matrix" is a complete mess when using their algorithm.
(2018-07-07, 13:43)fritsch Wrote: I meant v18. Could you provide a short sample of the Matrix file? E.g. use dd to cut out 50 MB of it?

Edit: Oh and btw. retry with the latest nightly. We fixed some BT2020 conversion there.
Still don't know what dd is Smile
 But I tried using the nightly build. I don't think it made much difference but it works fine so I'll just keep using it until a new stable version comes out.
Thanks !
I am confused from this thread. As you might know DSPlayer has nothing to do with kodi but is an external player I am not sure which bug we are hunting. The "reference platform" for kodi (this is not the platform with the most users, but the platform our videoplayer lead developer chose as his primary feature platform) is Linux. Therefore if in doub try a "Milhouse v9 nightly build" via USB Stick. Here you can see what kodi's internal player does and what it does not.

dd: is a tool to dump some bytes from a file e.g.: dd if=myfancymovie.mkv of=sampleforfritsch.mkv bs=1M count=50
This would read 50 MB in 1MB chunks from the myfancymovie.mkv and dump it into sampleforfritsch.mkv
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I answer DSPlayer question almost every day at the DSPlayer thread. I wish other users would understand that it has nothing to do with core Kodi. It is already asking alot when there is a dedicated thread in the Kodi forums. Other forks don't have this luxury. I can answer most of your questions if you post in the DSPlayer thread. I've been around since the beginning.

madVR has spent ages tuning its tone mapping, and it still isn't perfect. It has come down to finding something that looks good to the users providing feedback. The developer of madVR, madshi, has a Vero 4K, uses Kodi and has inquired about tone mapping. So he is probably using pixel shader himself with a spare SDR display.
(2018-07-10, 10:11)fritsch Wrote: I am confused from this thread. As you might know DSPlayer has nothing to do with kodi but is an external player I am not sure which bug we are hunting. The "reference platform" for kodi (this is not the platform with the most users, but the platform our videoplayer lead developer chose as his primary feature platform) is Linux. Therefore if in doub try a "Milhouse v9 nightly build" via USB Stick. Here you can see what kodi's internal player does and what it does not.

dd: is a tool to dump some bytes from a file e.g.: dd if=myfancymovie.mkv of=sampleforfritsch.mkv bs=1M count=50
This would read 50 MB in 1MB chunks from the myfancymovie.mkv and dump it into sampleforfritsch.mkv
 To answer both your comment and "Warner306" regarding DSPlayer, I have actually reached the conclusion it's not the way to go due to several reasons: Too many configurations, not officially supported, and eventually doesn't give the required results after a lot of pain. Kodi v18 is the way to go for me. So you won't be hearing from me anymore about that. I've actually uninstalled Kodi DSPlayer.

Regarding "Milhouse v9 nightly build" via USB stick, where can I get it from?
About dd, I understand the tool, but does it come with Kodi v18 or is it 3rd party? and if so where can I download it from?

Thanks for your patience Smile
(2018-07-10, 22:49)Nom1fan Wrote: About dd, I understand the tool, but does it come with Kodi v18 or is it 3rd party? and if so where can I download it from? 
On Windows OS, the best tool to cut a sample from a mkv video is MKVToolNix/mvkmerge (https://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html). This YouTube clip shows you how to split the video. If you know the timecode for the scene, you can cut a sample specifically in that timecode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9H31taQLdQ
(2018-07-10, 23:12)wesk05 Wrote:
(2018-07-10, 22:49)Nom1fan Wrote: About dd, I understand the tool, but does it come with Kodi v18 or is it 3rd party? and if so where can I download it from? 
On Windows OS, the best tool to cut a sample from a mkv video is MKVToolNix/mvkmerge (https://www.fosshub.com/MKVToolNix.html). This YouTube clip shows you how to split the video. If you know the timecode for the scene, you can cut a sample specifically in that timecode. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9H31taQLdQ

That's awesome! Thanks man.
(2018-07-06, 18:56)brazen1 Wrote: Your GTX 1050 does not have enough RAM to decode HDR at only 2GB whereas a GTX 1050Ti has ample RAM with 4GB.
This is not correct...
With my GT1030 and Kodi DSPlayer Version with madVR I can play all 4K HDR (23,976 fps) files without ANY problems.

Edit: Ok, by reading the whole thread I noticed this was already said. If anyone need further info / testing with GT1030 (i3 2110, 4gb Ram, Windows 10 x64) with latest nightlies, give me a feedback Wink
I have a 4K HDR Samsung Screen, so I can test HDR movies Wink
Actually I have latest Kodi 18 Alpha as my standard Media Center and for watching 4K HDR content I use Kodi 17.6 DSPlayer (because Kodi 18 cant passthrough HDR metadata)
(2018-07-19, 12:56)junias Wrote:
(2018-07-06, 18:56)brazen1 Wrote: Your GTX 1050 does not have enough RAM to decode HDR at only 2GB whereas a GTX 1050Ti has ample RAM with 4GB.
This is not correct...
With my GT1030 and Kodi DSPlayer Version with madVR I can play all 4K HDR (23,976 fps) files without ANY problems. 
It will work with settings similar to the defauts. Extra processing will cause things to stutter and use too much memory. Subtitles with XySubFilter can also cause issues with that little VRAM. It works with a GT 1030 with an asterisk, and you still may get some stuttering with certain content under certain circumstances (e.g. 4K 60 fps).

Windows Kodi should at least consider making use of the OS HDR switch in Windows. A few other players like Plex and VLC are using this method. It is manual, but HDR passthrough will work if the switch is enabled. SDR content gets played as HDR until the switch is disabled. It would reduce the amount of support questions related to external players but require some education on how to enable and disable the Windows OS HDR switch.
(2018-07-19, 18:42)Warner306 Wrote: It will work with settings similar to the defauts. Extra processing will cause things to stutter and use too much memory. Subtitles with XySubFilter can also cause issues with that little VRAM. It works with a GT 1030 with an asterisk, and you still may get some stuttering with certain content under certain circumstances (e.g. 4K 60 fps).

Windows Kodi should at least consider making use of the OS HDR switch in Windows. A few other players like Plex and VLC are using this method. It is manual, but HDR passthrough will work if the switch is enabled. SDR content gets played as HDR until the switch is disabled. It would reduce the amount of support questions related to external players but require some education on how to enable and disable the Windows OS HDR switch. 
I do know this Wink
All in all, I dont use XySubFilter, so I dont care. And I only have 4K HDR with 24fps. I just want to passthrough this content to my TV, and this works just fine Wink
I use DSPlayer Version here, because I do not have to use the HDR switch in Windows manually, in my opinion its much more simple to just use madVR which does this automatically.
And furthermore the GUI of Kodi looks really weird with HDR switch in Windows enabled.
This is not correct...

Edit: Ok, by reading the whole thread I noticed this was already said. If anyone need further info / testing with GT1030 (i3 2110, 4gb Ram, Windows 10 x64) with latest nightlies, give me a feedback Wink
Actually I have latest Kodi 18 Alpha as my standard Media Center and for watching 4K HDR content I use Kodi 17.6 DSPlayer (because Kodi 18 cant passthrough HDR metadata) 
From what I understand ( as has been said here earlier ) the opposite is correct. Kodi 17.6 does NOT support HDR, and kodi 18 Alpha does.
(2018-07-20, 09:20)Nom1fan Wrote:
This is not correct...

From what I understand ( as has been said here earlier ) the opposite is correct. Kodi 17.6 does NOT support HDR, and kodi 18 Alpha does.  
This is more or less correct, but just half of the truth.
Kodie 18 Alpha do not really support HDR on Windows, because Kodi 18 Alpha do not switch automatically to HDR mode in Windows when playing a HDR-movie.
Kodi 17 as it is does NOT support HDR, but I didnt said it would Wink

I said, that Kodi 17 DSPlayer Version (Klick) with madVR support HDR with automatically switching to HDR mode in Windows... Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
4K video playback - Kodi 17 vs 18 - Extreme difference (Some good, some bad) - Why?1