PVR deinterlacing - Intel
Having the same issues on several dell windows desktops running Kodi (diff models) only started since some version of v18, was fine on v17. Even tried going onto libreElec to see if it was windows related and issue still there. Live TV and recordings have random flicker.

Downgraded back to an earlier version of v18 and all working well again however video is still out of sync where 2.0 audio is upscaled to 5 channels. Another thing that wasn't the same on v17. Done numerous posts about it which were moved to the Pvr forum but no one has responded yet.
(2018-07-14, 21:38)richardc1983 Wrote: Having the same issues on several dell windows desktops running Kodi (diff models) only started since some version of v18, was fine on v17. Even tried going onto libreElec to see if it was windows related and issue still there. Live TV and recordings have random flicker.

Downgraded back to an earlier version of v18 and all working well again however video is still out of sync where 2.0 audio is upscaled to 5 channels. Another thing that wasn't the same on v17. Done numerous posts about it which were moved to the Pvr forum but no one has responded yet.
 You don't have the same issue. You talk about "random flicker", the op has issues with deinterlacing. Create your own thread, please. And "me too" without a Debug Log is a problem in a support forum.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
I have done a little more digging and installed Kodi 18 on my AMD machine where Kodi 16 works just fine. The result is that in Kodi 18 I can still see video not fully deinterlaced but I think it may be due to video upscaling/processing and not deinterlacing itself - not sure about that. What I may see it's a lot of so called 'Ringing artifacts'. I know that a lot has changed in video processing since Kodi 16 but is there anything that I can do to make Live SD video look better?
(2018-07-15, 13:53)nhsman Wrote: I have done a little more digging and installed Kodi 18 on my AMD machine where Kodi 16 works just fine. The result is that in Kodi 18 I can still see video not fully deinterlaced but I think it may be due to video upscaling/processing and not deinterlacing itself - not sure about that. What I may see it's a lot of so called 'Ringing artifacts'. I know that a lot has changed in video processing since Kodi 16 but is there anything that I can do to make Live SD video look better?
 Again this is NOT your thread. Open your own thread with your questions. Second warning!
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-07-15, 15:49)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-07-15, 13:53)nhsman Wrote: I have done a little more digging and installed Kodi 18 on my AMD machine where Kodi 16 works just fine. The result is that in Kodi 18 I can still see video not fully deinterlaced but I think it may be due to video upscaling/processing and not deinterlacing itself - not sure about that. What I may see it's a lot of so called 'Ringing artifacts'. I know that a lot has changed in video processing since Kodi 16 but is there anything that I can do to make Live SD video look better?
 Again this is NOT your thread. Open your own thread with your questions. Second warning! 
@fritsch  it is nhsman's thread
(2018-07-14, 14:34)nhsman Wrote: Same result. But if I set it to OFF the video quality is the same as when it's set to 'Deinterlace'.
 @nhsman please elaborate. Are you saying "Deinterlace" does not deinterlace at all?
(2018-07-15, 15:49)fritsch Wrote:
Sorry!! That other guy got me side-tracked. Perfectly fine :-) Thx.
(2018-07-15, 16:33)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 14:34)nhsman Wrote: Same result. But if I set it to OFF the video quality is the same as when it's set to 'Deinterlace'.
 @nhsman please elaborate. Are you saying "Deinterlace" does not deinterlace at all?  
Yes.
(2018-07-15, 09:08)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-07-14, 21:38)richardc1983 Wrote: Having the same issues on several dell windows desktops running Kodi (diff models) only started since some version of v18, was fine on v17. Even tried going onto libreElec to see if it was windows related and issue still there. Live TV and recordings have random flicker.

You don't have the same issue. You talk about "random flicker", the op has issues with deinterlacing. Create your own thread, please. And "me too" without a Debug Log is a problem in a support forum.

There's no need to be rude, I've already created a couple of posts but there's no movement on them so reaching out here in case it was the same issues were not all experts, and de interlacing affects picture quality as mine is.
(2018-07-14, 09:29)nhsman Wrote: Here you go: link

Thanks.
 I do hard seeing any issue with that video on my system. Can you record something with faster movements?
Here is another sample: http://www.filedropper.com/test2_1
Those are artefacts caused by not working deinterlacing. I don't see those with deinterlacing on

sw decode with deinterlace

without

So you are saying that software deinterlacing works as it supposed to? Maybe when I watch it on the big screen the impression is different. However none of the settings on Kodi 18 makes the deinterlaced and scalled video comparable to the same video played on Kodi 16 on the same display, quality wise. How comes?

BTW.  How about VAAPI deinterlacing, is it also working on your system?
(2018-07-16, 22:12)nhsman Wrote: So you are saying that software deinterlacing works as it supposed to? Maybe when I watch it on the big screen the impression is different. However none of the settings on Kodi 18 makes the deinterlaced and scalled video comparable to the same video played on Kodi 16 on the same display, quality wise. How comes?

BTW.  How about VAAPI deinterlacing, is it also working on your system?
 I am not saying that there is no issue but I doubt that there is one related to ffmpeg's deinterlacing method. Deinterlacing artefacts are very noticeable and I don't see those with sw decoding and deinterlace. You said that sw decoding with deinterlace does not work at all. I can't confirm this. Can you check this again?
I built kodi v16 on my Linux System:

- SW decoding + Deinterlace looks the same shit on v18 and v16, it seems to jump around like hell, especially the icon / logo looks very worse
- VAAPI 16 with MCDI + VAAPI 18 with MCDI look very same for me -> no difference

What I really wonder: This is SD TV why is this transmitted in h264 and with so many reference frames? There is definitely something very fishy with this sample. I tried with mpv + yadif -> totally the same issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR deinterlacing - Intel1