PVR deinterlacing - Intel
(2018-07-16, 23:11)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 22:12)nhsman Wrote: So you are saying that software deinterlacing works as it supposed to? Maybe when I watch it on the big screen the impression is different. However none of the settings on Kodi 18 makes the deinterlaced and scalled video comparable to the same video played on Kodi 16 on the same display, quality wise. How comes?

BTW.  How about VAAPI deinterlacing, is it also working on your system?
 I am not saying that there is no issue but I doubt that there is one related to ffmpeg's deinterlacing method. Deinterlacing artefacts are very noticeable and I don't see those with sw decoding and deinterlace. You said that sw decoding with deinterlace does not work at all. I can't confirm this. Can you check this again? 
Just double checked that and in deed sw decoding and 'deinterlacing' work but in my case the picture is not as good as in your screenshot.
(2018-07-17, 21:53)fritsch Wrote: I built kodi v16 on my Linux System:

- SW decoding + Deinterlace looks the same shit on v18 and v16, it seems to jump around like hell, especially the icon / logo looks very worse
- VAAPI 16 with MCDI + VAAPI 18 with MCDI look very same for me -> no difference

What I really wonder: This is SD TV why is this transmitted in h264 and with so many reference frames? There is definitely something very fishy with this sample. I tried with mpv + yadif -> totally the same issue.
 Thanks for checking that. But still, I cannot figure out what is wrong with my system. I thought that having NUC is a good choice quality wise. I think I was wrong.

The sample video is a untouched stream from my TVH server. Most polish channels transmit in h264 no matter SD or HD.
(2018-07-18, 21:28)nhsman Wrote:

- SW decoding + Deinterlace looks the same shit on v18 and v16, it seems to jump around like hell, especially the icon / logo looks very worse
- VAAPI 16 with MCDI + VAAPI 18 with MCDI look very same for me -> no difference

What I really wonder: This is SD TV why is this transmitted in h264 and with so many reference frames? There is definitely something very fishy with this sample. I tried with mpv + yadif -> totally the same issue.
 Thanks for checking that. But still, I cannot figure out what is wrong with my system. I thought that having NUC is a good choice quality wise. I think I was wrong.

The sample video is a untouched stream from my TVH server. Most polish channels transmit in h264 no matter SD or HD.  
The issue you face has nothing to do with the intel gpu, but with the data you receive. See: Even year old field proven YADIF causes heavy issues for you (and for me) which has absolutely zero to do with intel. The channels you playback are bad quality with sw decoding + yadif, you can easily verify this with e.g. mpv or other desktop players (most likely also with vlc).

Edit: Verified with VLC ...
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-07-18, 21:50)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-07-18, 21:28)nhsman Wrote:

The issue you face has nothing to do with the intel gpu, but with the data you receive. See: Even year old field proven YADIF causes heavy issues for you (and for me) which has absolutely zero to do with intel. The channels you playback are bad quality with sw decoding + yadif, you can easily verify this with e.g. mpv or other desktop players (most likely also with vlc).

I get all this. But it brings me back to the first question: why the same stream from the same server plays just fine (crisp and clear - no signs of interlacing) in v16 with DXVA2 enabled on Win8.1?

Edit: just checked the same stream in VLC with deinterlacing on, and it looks just fine.
(2018-07-18, 22:02)nhsman Wrote:
(2018-07-18, 21:50)fritsch Wrote:
(2018-07-18, 21:28)nhsman Wrote:  Thanks for checking that. But still, I cannot figure out what is wrong with my system. I thought that having NUC is a good choice quality wise. I think I was wrong.

I get all this. But it brings me back to the first question: why the same stream from the same server plays just fine (crisp and clear - no signs of interlacing) in v16 with DXVA2 enabled on Win8.1?

Edit: just checked the same stream in VLC with deinterlacing on, and it looks just fine. 
 I can't say. Did you run vlc on windows or on Linux?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Win 7
Here is a picture from the video I see with vlc: sw decoding + yadif: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0y4axgc2dtjdb...f.png?dl=0
(2018-07-18, 22:10)fritsch Wrote: Here is a picture from the video I see with vlc: sw decoding + yadif: https://www.dropbox.com/s/v0y4axgc2dtjdb...f.png?dl=0
 Can you please try the other sample I posted, much more movement and interlacing: https://www.filedropper.com/test2_1
I don't see interlacing with that one at all. Neither with sw + yadif, nor vaapi + mcdi :-( Will look again tomorrow, already late here, while I see the interlacing 100% while disabling Deinterlacing obviously :-)
(2018-07-18, 21:23)nhsman Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 23:11)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 22:12)nhsman Wrote: So you are saying that software deinterlacing works as it supposed to? Maybe when I watch it on the big screen the impression is different. However none of the settings on Kodi 18 makes the deinterlaced and scalled video comparable to the same video played on Kodi 16 on the same display, quality wise. How comes?

BTW.  How about VAAPI deinterlacing, is it also working on your system?
 I am not saying that there is no issue but I doubt that there is one related to ffmpeg's deinterlacing method. Deinterlacing artefacts are very noticeable and I don't see those with sw decoding and deinterlace. You said that sw decoding with deinterlace does not work at all. I can't confirm this. Can you check this again?  
Just double checked that and in deed sw decoding and 'deinterlacing' work but in my case the picture is not as good as in your screenshot. 
sw deinterlacing should look the same. In order not to compare apples and oranges, can we agree to do all further tests on Linux? Just files, no tv headend.

Please post a screenshot of the same scene.
(2018-07-19, 07:32)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2018-07-18, 21:23)nhsman Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 23:11)FernetMenta Wrote:  I am not saying that there is no issue but I doubt that there is one related to ffmpeg's deinterlacing method. Deinterlacing artefacts are very noticeable and I don't see those with sw decoding and deinterlace. You said that sw decoding with deinterlace does not work at all. I can't confirm this. Can you check this again?  
sw deinterlacing should look the same. In order not to compare apples and oranges, can we agree to do all further tests on Linux? Just files, no tv headend.

Hi, I post it when I get a minute. But having sw deinterlacing is not the point for me. I need hw deinterlacing working properly due to high cpu usage with sw decoding enabled. I just quickly compared hw and sw deinterlacing on linux and sw looks much better than hw but still not perfect.
(2018-07-20, 21:40)nhsman Wrote:
(2018-07-19, 07:32)FernetMenta Wrote:
(2018-07-18, 21:23)nhsman Wrote: Just double checked that and in deed sw decoding and 'deinterlacing' work but in my case the picture is not as good as in your screenshot.  

Hi, I post it when I get a minute. But having sw deinterlacing is not the point for me. I need hw deinterlacing working properly due to high cpu usage with sw decoding enabled. I just quickly compared hw and sw deinterlacing on linux and sw looks much better than hw but still not perfect.  
 All my questions have a single purpose: spotting the issue. Even if sw deinterlacing is not important to you, a correct answer is important to narrow down the problem. If sw deinterlacing does not work, we need to search in a totally different area than just vaapi does not work.
Please delete.
Please delete.
(2018-07-22, 22:06)nhsman Wrote: Sorry, I don't know how to post screenshot:

If the image is on your computer, then use button 19. If the image has already been uploaded to a public image hosting site, then use button 14
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
PVR deinterlacing - Intel1