Win Blu-Ray Support?
It's worth mentioning that there are two ways to go about things in Kodi:
  1. Get a KEYDB.cfg database with the needed key(s), which tells Kodi how to decrypt discs on the fly itself via included libraries.
  2. Install MakeMKV and a (free) license and replace Kodi's Blu-Ray libraries with its own, which will result Kodi using MakeMKV to decrypt on the fly without a key.

Both methods allow you to play more or less straight off the disc at full quality. Each method has its own annoyances.

Commercial programs aren't going to support Kodi because they want to you play inside of their sandbox and don't care about people who want to use Kodi.
(2019-04-15, 02:42)HunterZ Wrote: It's worth mentioning that there are two ways to go about things in Kodi:
  1. Get a KEYDB.cfg database with the needed key(s), which tells Kodi how to decrypt discs on the fly itself via included libraries.
  2. Install MakeMKV and a (free) license and replace Kodi's Blu-Ray libraries with its own, which will result Kodi using MakeMKV to decrypt on the fly without a key.

Both methods allow you to play more or less straight off the disc at full quality. Each method has its own annoyances.

Commercial programs aren't going to support Kodi because they want to you play inside of their sandbox and don't care about people who want to use Kodi.  
Where would I have to put the KEYDB.cfg in Windows 10 in order to get Kodi Blue-Ray decrypted?
(2019-04-18, 21:11)tomgraf2525 Wrote: Where would I have to put the KEYDB.cfg in Windows 10 in order to get Kodi Blue-Ray decrypted?
%APPDATA%/aacs
(2019-04-19, 03:08)HunterZ Wrote:
(2019-04-18, 21:11)tomgraf2525 Wrote: Where would I have to put the KEYDB.cfg in Windows 10 in order to get Kodi Blue-Ray decrypted?
%APPDATA%/aacs 
Thanks, Kodi 18.2 RC1 does find the file but playback does not start, instead the loading wheel keeps showing. Seems Blu-Ray support is broken for the newest Kodi? With VLC it works smoothly.
(2019-04-22, 17:17)tg2525 Wrote:
(2019-04-19, 03:08)HunterZ Wrote:
%APPDATA%/aacs  
Thanks, Kodi 18.2 RC1 does find the file but playback does not start, instead the loading wheel keeps showing. Seems Blu-Ray support is broken for the newest Kodi? With VLC it works smoothly. 
Have you tried with 18.1? Works well for me.
I built a ridiculous HTPC and added a blu-ray drive so it could replace literally everything in my entertainment cabinet.  But this issue with blu-rays needed a solution.

Solution found, but not cheap....

I installed DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray.  The program auto runs with Windows, and simply decrypts the Blu-ray so that other programs can read it.  I have the Frozen 2 Blu-ray, which has the newest encryption on it... and it works perfectly... pop the disc in the drive, DVDFab automatically decrypts it in the background... it shows up in Kodi... I hit play... and it plays.  DVDFab takes only seconds to load the disc in.

For anyone wanting to play their Blu-rays through their HTPC... this works.

BUT... DVDFab Passkey is expensive... I got it on sale for $91 for a lifetime license.  That said... you should only need to buy it once, and I assume it will work until technology changes.

The downside... this only works with Windows.
(2020-05-10, 16:23)cpl_jimmy Wrote: I built a ridiculous HTPC and added a blu-ray drive so it could replace literally everything in my entertainment cabinet.  But this issue with blu-rays needed a solution.

There are some decent free options, but you have PMs disabled and it's probably not okay to talk about them here.
(2020-05-11, 09:23)HunterZ Wrote:
(2020-05-10, 16:23)cpl_jimmy Wrote: I built a ridiculous HTPC and added a blu-ray drive so it could replace literally everything in my entertainment cabinet.  But this issue with blu-rays needed a solution.

There are some decent free options, but you have PMs disabled and it's probably not okay to talk about them here. 
Hi HunterZ, I would be interested in this ..
Correct - we do not support overriding or removal of DRM or suchlike here. If you wish to have that kind of discussion, please do it elsewhere.

Also PM capabilities are not available for newbies here.
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts
There is an issue with Support forum. I should not be able to type under someone else's comment.

There is an alternative to Kodi. Cyberlink PowerDVD has been upgrading their interface to match Kodi. You can create a library for Music, Movies. They even provide a listing of the current movies and the ratings. They do not provide tuner accessibility for OTA viewing.
(2020-07-21, 17:14)the_inspector_069 Wrote: There is an issue with Support forum. I should not be able to type under someone else's comment.

There is an alternative to Kodi. Cyberlink PowerDVD has been upgrading their interface to match Kodi. You can create a library for Music, Movies. They even provide a listing of the current movies and the ratings. They do not provide tuner accessibility for OTA viewing.

There is no issue with the forum, other than perhaps you're not using the quote system correctly.

For neatness I've removed your mis-quoted posts from the thread, to keep things clean.

All you need to do is press the quote button, but then type your response text in that new entry box but outside the quote tags. Something like I've just done with your post before mine...
|Banned add-ons (wiki)|Forum rules (wiki)|VPN policy (wiki)|First time user (wiki)|FAQs (wiki) Troubleshooting (wiki)|Add-ons (wiki)|Free content (wiki)|Debug Log (wiki)|

Kodi Blog Posts

I installed DVDFab Passkey for Blu-ray.  The program auto runs with Windows, and simply decrypts the Blu-ray so that other programs can read it.  I have the Frozen 2 Blu-ray, which has the newest encryption on it... and it works perfectly... pop the disc in the drive, DVDFab automatically decrypts it in the background... it shows up in Kodi... I hit play... and it plays.  DVDFab takes only seconds to load the disc in.

For anyone wanting to play their Blu-rays through their HTPC... this works.

BUT... DVDFab Passkey is expensive... I got it on sale for $91 for a lifetime license.  That said... you should only need to buy it once, and I assume it will work until technology changes.

The downside... this only works with Windows.

I purchased AnyDVD for the same reason... but when I tried inserting a Blu-ray disc, I'm still getting the 'encrypted' message.  I'm starting to wonder if Kodi doesn't recognize AnyDVD for decrypting. 

(But I'm rather tired now - been working on several issues today.  Will try again tomorrow, with debug enabled...)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Blu-Ray Support?0