v17 Need help filtering and organizing Video Library with metadata/tags.
I will keep this simple, I am having issues organizing my video collection at the moment.

I have a video collection that uses .nfo metadata and tags. If I add the source of this collection to my library and set the content type to "Movies" then, I am able to filter by multiple tags upon viewing the library.
This is what I want, BUT, because I have set the content type to "Movies", Kodi went ahead and added all of that content to my Movies Library which is normal, but NOT what I actually want.

I want my Movies separate from my secondary video source. I have tried not setting the content type and also tried to navigate the source manually from within Kodi, it works, but then I am not able to filter multiple tags or filter by tags at all.
It simply only lets me filter by title...

So it seems the only way to filter by tags, is to set the content type of my media to Movies...

I have looked into a number of solutions, Favorites doesnt seem to resolve my issue, nor do playlists. 
The closest I have gotten to what I need is by setting up a home item for movies that filters all of the Video Library using the tag "Movies" so then it only shows my actual Movie collection. But ofcourse, when viewing my Generic Videos it displays the Movies as well.

What I need is;

1. be able to filter by multiple tags.
2. have my Movies/TV Shows seperate from my generic video source.
3. Same profile

If anybody has any experience with this or any idea of what I should do please shine some light, thank you.
Hello @xsoalokinx

Sounds like you need Custom Home Items... https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items

Here is an example of the outcome... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2747927

Which skin are you currently using?

--Edit--
Just re-reading that link to Marvel Universe, it mentions that it still listed movies in the main Movies section. That is optional and can be removed from the main movie listing.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-07-16, 01:52)Karellen Wrote: Hello @xsoalokinx

Sounds like you need Custom Home Items... https://kodi.wiki/view/Custom_home_items

Here is an example of the outcome... https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid...pid2747927

Which skin are you currently using?

--Edit--
Just re-reading that link to Marvel Universe, it mentions that it still listed movies in the main Movies section. That is optional and can be removed from the main movie listing.
 It is what I want, however when I create a custom home menu item, and point it to the smartplaylist that starts in my Media Path, it no longer gives me the option to Filter by tags, only by Title.
I am able to seperate the media no problems whatsoever, as well as create custom home menu's. The real issue is, is that the Filter function in the side menu, seems to behave differently depending on where you are navigated to.
For a regular Movie Library (Like the default one) It allows you to filter with tags. Am I making sense here? I am using Aeon Nox skin.

Edit: To see what I mean, go browse a Movie source, Video > Files > Source , and then bring up the side Menu and choose Filter. It will basically want you to enter in some kind of text string.
Now, if you go browse your movie Library from the Movies Home Menu, and then bring up the side menu, choose filter, a dialog box comes up allowing you a variety of filter options, including selecting of multiple tags. This is what I want basically, and I can't seem to get that function from anywhere in Kodi, except from selecting the Main Movie Library from the Home Menu Movies button. So it seems the only way to achieve the solution I want, is to probably make some kind of smart playlist that includes the Main Movie library, and tell it to not include a Tag or Genre. Which could filter out my "Generic" videos from the main library. Ive had a bit of progress doing it like this, only bad thing about it, is that I will have to go manually edit all the .nfo files and include a new Genre or Tag in them. If you can think of an easier way, let me know Big Grin I just hope you are following this.

Edit2: If you aren't sure what I mean by filtering by tags, I can show you screenshots. The main kodi movie section allows for it, but nowhere else it seems...
(2018-07-16, 04:43)xsoalokinx Wrote: To see what I mean, go browse a Movie source, Video > Files > Source , and then bring up the side Menu and choose Filter. It will basically want you to enter in some kind of text string.
Yes that is expected. And I think that is a mistake in the Aeon Nox Skin. It should not be called Filter, it should be labeled Search.

Filter is a library only function. Movies and TV Shows need to be scanned/scraped into the library to use Filter. Otherwise, if they are not scanned/scraped into the library then where is the data coming from to Filter?

Going to Videos>Files>Source is bypassing the library and simply viewing files like using Windows Explorer.

And that seems to also be the issue with Playlists. I must admit I have not noticed that until now. Hopefully someone might know of a work around.
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-07-16, 05:19)Karellen Wrote:
(2018-07-16, 04:43)xsoalokinx Wrote: To see what I mean, go browse a Movie source, Video > Files > Source , and then bring up the side Menu and choose Filter. It will basically want you to enter in some kind of text string.
Yes that is expected. And I think that is a mistake in the Aeon Nox Skin. It should not be called Filter, it should be labeled Search.

Filter is a library only function. Movies and TV Shows need to be scanned/scraped into the library to use Filter. Otherwise, if they are not scanned/scraped into the library then where is the data coming from to Filter?

Going to Videos>Files>Source is bypassing the library and simply viewing files like using Windows Explorer.

And that seems to also be the issue with Playlists. I must admit I have not noticed that until now. Hopefully someone might know of a work around.  
 I probably should have noticed that myself in the default skin but. Recently just switched though. The only work-around I can think of so far for this at the moment is messy but it can work. This will also cause the main video library to no longer use Filter and instead use the search.

What I have done is created a smart playlist for the Main Movie collection, and pointed it to the Main Movie Library. I then added a rule for it to not include a specific Genre called "Generic".
Then, I created a custom Menu through Aeon Nox, which used the default action of Video Library > Movies > Genre > "Generic".
After this, I modified the Original Movies Menu from the home screen and pointed it to the smart playlist I had created.

What this did was basically allowed my Generic Videos, to be viewed under its own custom Menu while still being accessed from the main Movies Library. and still being able to use the filter function.
Everything without the genre "Generic" was not displayed.
And to view my actual Movies collection, I just choose Movies Menu from the home screen. Which filters out any content with the Genre as "Generic"

This way, any additional media sources with movies will get listed properly without issue, so long as its not got the Genre that is flagged.

This for now is my solution. It is also possible to add custom submenus pointing to a specific Tag as well using this method.

Edit: Thank you as well for your efforts and for clarifying some things for me. I hope this will help some others having the same issue.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help filtering and organizing Video Library with metadata/tags.0