• 4(current)
v18 Timeshift and NextPVR on the latest Nightlies
(2018-12-24, 19:56)kevin71246 Wrote: 2 more things:
You can actually easily reproduce the lockup, even if you're already on latest 3.3.8 version: Update (again) to 3.3.8, let it finish, watch 0% loading message in upper right, give up after waiting, press back button a few times to get to main Kodi screen -> locked up
I cannot duplicate this on Android Linux or Windows using the current nightly.  That is why you need to supply logs.
Quote:With the Timeshift disable not working, I'm not sure of a way to prevent this.  Now I'm not sure if I'm doing something fundamentally wrong here, if others have an easy solution, or if this is a feature request(?), but going over my data cap because Kodi doesnt actually cause the NextPVR stream to stop streaming isn't good.  I know a PITA solution would be to power off Kodi after I'm done watching, but there must be a better solution.
  Even with timeshifting disabled if you pause, NextPVR will continue to record until Kodi closes the socket or you change channels.  The way to fix it is not to pause or seek on the client.

Martin
(2018-12-24, 20:49)Karellen Wrote: @kevin71246

Your posts are becoming difficult to read and to separate the quotes from your responses. If you want to quote text from another post, follow Steps 1, 2 and 3 in the image below...
Perhaps this is due to how you're viewing the thread? Mine shows up fine.  Screenshot of how it looks on my computer: https://imgur.com/a/Ro2Uuwh
(2018-12-24, 16:04)emveepee Wrote:
(2018-12-24, 02:53)davel Wrote: "Likely" "not bullet proof" Sad
Fingers crossed!
Is this changed scheduled to be in the next RC version? 
 There are three separate issues I am aware of that need to be considered

1.  initial timeshift freezes (seems to be mainly Android) should be fixed in 3.3.8
2.  addon always reports that timeshifting is enabled
3.  seeking freezes

Martin 
 Hi Martin,

Are you saying that those points have been addressed for a forthcoming RC release, or that they're issues you're aware of that are still outstanding?
@emveepee : I completely understand.  I was hoping others that started this thread would chime in with logs.  Again, my biggest concern is Kodi locking up due to various issues with the NextPVR plugin, not necessarily the features that can be buggy.  Honestly, 90% of the time it works.  And when it breaks, I have to pull the plug to restart it.  Now that I just got 3.3.8, I'll try and uninstall all of the banned add-ons, and reproduce.  But this will take time.  It's hard to "reproduce on demand".  And as I mentioned in that related ticket, having the statistics on the screen while log debugging is enabled isn't desirable to have on display during everyday use.  BUT, since I just updated to 3.3.8, maybe some of these issues are now resolved. I'll need at least a few days of everyday watching to determine the stability.  I will report back.

BTW thanks @sub3, @emveepee, & others for the cool add-on!
@kevin71246

My mistake. I have obviously flicked over to the wrong browser tab and posted to the wrong person. Now to remember which member was having problems in which thread Sad
My Signature
Links to : Official:Forum rules (wiki) | Official:Forum rules/Banned add-ons (wiki) | Debug Log (wiki)
Links to : HOW-TO:Create Music Library (wiki) | HOW-TO:Create_Video_Library (wiki)  ||  Artwork (wiki) | Basic controls (wiki) | Import-export library (wiki) | Movie sets (wiki) | Movie universe (wiki) | NFO files (wiki) | Quick start guide (wiki)
(2018-12-24, 22:58)kevin71246 Wrote: having the statistics on the screen while log debugging is enabled isn't desirable to have on display during everyday use.
Configure your advancedsettings.xml and set loglevel to 1 for sames logs without the OSD.

Martin
(2018-12-24, 22:56)davel Wrote: Are you saying that those points have been addressed for a forthcoming RC release, or that they're issues you're aware of that are still outstanding? 
One problem dealing with a test to see if data is available will fix a problem with immediate hangs.  3.3.8 did address some problems in #3 for seeking and channel changes, but they are mostly untested so debug logs will be needed if problems occur.  I can make it hang after a few seeks in my testing and did provide some logs. 

The problem about not being able to timeshift is something I see in Windows (today's nightly) and not Android.  The debug log looks the same so more research and more logs are required.

Martin
(2018-12-24, 22:23)emveepee Wrote:
Quote: Even with timeshifting disabled if you pause, NextPVR will continue to record until Kodi closes the socket or you change channels.  The way to fix it is not to pause or seek on the client.
Quote: (post got messed up) "Even with timeshifting disabled if you pause, NextPVR will continue to record until Kodi closes the socket or you change channels.  The way to fix it is not to pause or seek on the client."

Sorry - So are you saying that there is no way to actually "stop" the stream in Kodi? (Other than powering off Kodi) 

You say NOT to pause or seek...but if I DONT pause, then the channel will continue streaming (definitely not what we want).  I must assume this is a common issue - when people are done watching channels via Kodi/NextPVR, what do you guys do to "stop" the stream so you don't chew up all your data when you're not in front of the couch?  Is there a Stop button on other systems? (FireTV doesnt have a stop button https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-t...input.html, but if other systems do, and that would stop the stream, then I suppose I could do a custom key map...)
(2018-12-25, 07:08)kevin71246 Wrote: Sorry - So are you saying that there is no way to actually "stop" the stream in Kodi? (Other than powering off Kodi)
 No stop works if it doesn't hang in timeshifting mode.  What I am saying is that pause does not stop streaming form the IPTV host.  Stop works fine on the FTV (select and move to the square)

If you do have the timeshifting hang then you must stop streaming by killing the Kodi app.

Martin
(2018-12-25, 07:08)kevin71246 Wrote: [quote="emveepee" pid='2802455' dateline='1545682992']
[
You say NOT to pause or seek...but if I DONT pause, then the channel will continue streaming (definitely not what we want).  I must assume this is a common issue - when people are done watching channels via Kodi/NextPVR, what do you guys do to "stop" the stream so you don't chew up all your data when you're not in front of the couch?  Is there a Stop button on other systems? (FireTV doesnt have a stop button https://developer.amazon.com/docs/fire-t...input.html, but if other systems do, and that would stop the stream, then I suppose I could do a custom key map...)

The fire TV remote does not have a dedicated stop button, but you have 2 options. 1. Long pressing the back button should send a stop command. 2. You can press the select button to bring up the on screen controls and press stop there. If you pause the stream, it will only pause on Kodi. NextPVR is still buffering up video while it is paused. You must press stop to kill the stream entirely.
(2018-12-25, 00:48)emveepee Wrote: One problem dealing with a test to see if data is available will fix a problem with immediate hangs.  3.3.8 did address some problems in #3 for seeking and channel changes, but they are mostly untested so debug logs will be needed if problems occur.  I can make it hang after a few seeks in my testing and did provide some logs. 

[ ...]

Martin 
Martin, can you point me to those logs, please?

Thanks!
(2018-12-29, 01:26)mikeb8591 Wrote: Martin, can you point me to those logs, please?
The Kodi wiki explains where they are located on each platform.   The best bet is to download the Kodi log uploader addon and post the URL here.   Remember to have debugging on.  To summarize the problems that I have found and been trying to help the other addon developers to fix.

1.  initial timeshift freezes (seems to be mainly Android) should be fixed in 3.3.8 (after 3.3.8)
2.  addon always reports that timeshifting is enabled (I passed  patch on to sub)
3.  seeking freezes (I will attempt to categorize them now.
a.  shorts seeks (I am testing a patch I will which I will submit to sub/mburgett for review)
b.  pauses longer then 20 minutes

Martin
(2018-12-29, 06:25)emveepee Wrote: The Kodi wiki explains where they are located on each platform.   The best bet is to download the Kodi log uploader addon and post the URL here.   Remember to have debugging on.  To summarize the problems that I have found and been trying to help the other addon developers to fix.

1.  initial timeshift freezes (seems to be mainly Android) should be fixed in 3.3.8 (after 3.3.8)
2.  addon always reports that timeshifting is enabled (I passed  patch on to sub)
3.  seeking freezes (I will attempt to categorize them now.
a.  shorts seeks (I am testing a patch I will which I will submit to sub/mburgett for review)
b.  pauses longer then 20 minutes

Martin 
:-) yes, I know where to find my logs.  You indicated you had passed on some logs of seek problems for 3.3.8, it's those logs I was looking for.  Can I get a pointer to them?

regarding #2, you're still seeing that with 3.3.8?  It's not my experience on the RPI port.

Thanks!
(2018-12-29, 14:30)mikeb8591 Wrote: :-) yes, I know where to find my logs.  You indicated you had passed on some logs of seek problems for 3.3.8, it's those logs I was looking for.  Can I get a pointer to them?
Ah, I see are you  the developer of the new timeshifting buffer?  I gave them to sub to send to you.  Perhaps join the NextPVR forum, I posted message for sub in the prerelease area.
Quote:regarding #2, you're still seeing that with 3.3.8?  It's not my experience on the RPI port.
Absolutely.  I don't see it on Android but do in Windows.  Based on https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...585#pid2762585  I changed Dummy.cpp to
Code:
PVR_ERROR DummyBuffer::GetStreamTimes(PVR_STREAM_TIMES *stimes)
{
    return PVR_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED;
}

and it solved the problem on Windows.

Martin
(2018-12-29, 17:16)emveepee Wrote:
(2018-12-29, 14:30)mikeb8591 Wrote: :-) yes, I know where to find my logs.  You indicated you had passed on some logs of seek problems for 3.3.8, it's those logs I was looking for.  Can I get a pointer to them?
Ah, I see are you  the developer of the new timeshifting buffer?  I gave them to sub to send to you.  Perhaps join the NextPVR forum, I posted message for sub in the prerelease area.     
I already am, handle is 'mlb' over there.
Quote:
Quote:regarding #2, you're still seeing that with 3.3.8?  It's not my experience on the RPI port.
Absolutely.  I don't see it on Android but do in Windows.  Based on https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php...585#pid2762585  I changed Dummy.cpp to
Code:
PVR_ERROR DummyBuffer::GetStreamTimes(PVR_STREAM_TIMES *stimes)
{
    return PVR_ERROR_NOT_IMPLEMENTED;
}

and it solved the problem on Windows.

Martin     
  Hmm. GetStreamTimes() isn't how it's _supposed_ to determine timeshift capability, but I'll take another look.  Here's from the "docs" (the .h file from Kodi)

cpp:

/*!
* Check if the backend support pausing the currently playing stream
* This will enable/disable the pause button in Kodi based on the return value
* @return false if the PVR addon/backend does not support pausing, true if possible
*/
bool CanPauseStream();

/*!
* Check if the backend supports seeking for the currently playing stream
* This will enable/disable the rewind/forward buttons in Kodi based on the return value
* @return false if the PVR addon/backend does not support seeking, true if possible
*/
bool CanSeekStream();

and DummyBuffer already returns false for these.

There's also

cpp:

/*!
* Check if timeshift is active
* @return true if timeshift is active
*/
bool IsTimeshifting();

which should be returning false from the underlying buffer impl. (CanSeek and CanPause should probably be moved down to there too, now that I'm looking at it, but still...)

In any event, I suspect you're seeing/compensating for a bug in the Kodi windows port, rather than a problem with the NextPVR addon.

Thanks!
  • 4(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Timeshift and NextPVR on the latest Nightlies0