Intel Coffee Lake (NUC)
It's should be fine, this month intel released improved driver for HDR in windows, for Linux is much more to do it, but it should be possible at some point, right now I'm using bultin upnp in Kodi to get HDR movies working on TV, all rest I'm watching through Kodi from NUC

here small info from Intel drivers:
"Loaded with many visual enhancements, this WDDM 2.5 Windows® 10 October 2018 Update driver introduces brilliant HDR10 on internal displays, enabling full quality HDR10 for video streaming, games, and content creation on both external and laptop displays. Support for Wide Color Gamut has been added for capable displays as well as improvements in EDR quality. This driver also introduces support for the DirectX* 12 Shader Model 6.3 Compiler and improves hot plug audio synchronization between the Graphics and Audio drivers."

"Product Support Supports Intel® UHD Graphics, Intel® HD Graphics and Intel® Iris® Plus Graphics, Intel® Iris® Pro Graphics on:
6th Gen Intel® Core™ processor family (Codename Skylake)
7th Gen Intel® Core™ processor family (Codename Kaby Lake)
8th Gen Intel® Core™ processor family (codename Kaby Lake-R,Coffee Lake)
Apollo Lake
Gemini Lake"

Source: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downloa...duct=80939
Oh that's great info thanks.
Can you clear up one more loose end for me?
The NUC and CPU support HDR, but is it now Kodi that has issues with proper HDR auto switching?
yes right now is done tone mapping - so watching HDR content you will not get washed from colors picture.
I know some guys on windows with Kodi using some separate player madVR or something like that to get working HDR, but im not familair with windows. Just look to other topic to get more info about it
(2018-10-19, 20:31)Temujin Wrote: Oh that's great info thanks.
Can you clear up one more loose end for me?
The NUC and CPU support HDR, but is it now Kodi that has issues with proper HDR auto switching?
It is both a Windows 10 restriction and a Kodi restriction. Windows 10 offers manual HDR switching. Kodi does not yet support this method. Nvidia and AMD have APIs available to do automatic switching, but not with Kodi and not with Intel drivers.
Do you still need MPC-BE, LAV en madVR to watch HDR in win 10 with these latest drivers and updates?
And has anyone tested this yet with a Coffee Lake NUC?
Windows 10 Pro (64bit), Kodi v19.1 "Matrix"
Intel NUC8i3BEH (Samsung 970 Evo, G. Skill Ripjaws 8GB)
Samsung UE49KS7000, Logitech Harmony remote 350
AudioEngine D1, Synology DS218j NAS (SMB protocol)

Coffee Lake i3 NUC Review (NUC8i3BEH)
Well,

You can actually buy them now. I must say that the prices are remarkably sharp (the i3 model is in stock, the i5 and i7 not).
In Belgium/The Netherlands:

NUC8i3BEH: 269 euro (NUC7i3BNH: 269 euro)
NUC8i5BEH: 360 euro (NUC7i5BNH: 350 euro)
NUC8i7BEH: 499 euro (NUC7i7BNH: 450 euro)

The Nucblog made already a review of the i3 model: https://nucblog.net/2018/10/coffee-lake-...eh-review/
That i3 seems very promising: beating/matching the previous i7 in gpu and beating the previous i5 in cpu.

I will buy one during the black Friday/cyber Monday days. I will also update my NAS (DS218j), so a few euros less would be welcome :-)
FYI: The NUC Blog: Coffee Lake i5 NUC Review (NUC8i5BEK / NUC8i5BEH)
(2018-11-01, 18:39)omnium Wrote: FYI: The NUC Blog: Coffee Lake i5 NUC Review (NUC8i5BEK / NUC8i5BEH)
Thanks for the link, good read.
Seems the i5 might be the sweet spot for the new NUCs
But NUC8 drops frames when plays 4k HDR 60fps in MPC-HC/madVR, unacceptable for madVR users ?
4k 10-bit HEVC in MPC-HC, fullscreen, no issues, no frame drops.
4k 10-bit HEVC in MPC-HC, windowed, no issues, no frame drops.
4k 10-bit HEVC in MPC-HC with MadVR, fullscreen, no frame drops when video is full screen, drops only before entering full screen mode.
4k 10-bit HEVC in MPC-HC with MadVR, windowed, significant frame drops.
4k 10-bit HEVC in Kodi, fullscreen, no issues, no frame drops.
Playback of YouTube video in 4k 60p mode, full screen, no drops, a few drops when mouse is moved to bring up the video overlay for GUI.

Taken from the nucblog. I will test myself in a week or two.
Only in windowed mode, so I don't think that is really relevant.
Do you have an other source that says differently?
Good news. My new NUC8i3BEH plays FLAC multichannel 5.1 24/192kHz with latest LibreElec 9 alpha (Leia) using today’s Milhouse build.

Also playing by 24/96 PCM and DTS-HDMA music videos.

In both cases above my Denon AVR-X7200WA is showing the expected codec sample rates. A sounds great too!
Can some one explain the HDR issues? I’m tempted to get one of these, if they are good? NUC8i5BEH
NUC 8i7BEH does not output 4K@60p with 10-bit  + HDR seems to be solved if you use the driver provided by Windows Update.
So with the latest gen NUCs if HDR is working and enabled in Windows does it also work in Leia or is it going to play as tonemapped SDR?

If I understood correctly there is no autoswitching in Kodi so you either have HDR on or off through Windows itself. Just not sure if Kodi can actually play HDR now (using AppleTV at the moment but it would be nice to switch to NUC).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Coffee Lake (NUC)2