Intel Coffee Lake (NUC)
I didn't want to start a new thread as I hope getting help here. I'm loosing my mind trying to tame HD audio pass through on my set up. But first things first.
I got NUC8i3BEH. It is used among others primarily as kodi htpc (kodi v.18). I cannot use libreeelc as I need other software that is only available on windows running in the background. Im running Win10. So far the nuc box has been working fantastic and meets ALL my expectations, except one - a big one for me - no hd audio pass through;(
My set up is as follows: NUC is connected through hdmi to Yamaha RX-A2060 avr and then through HDMI to an old LG plasma screen. Pass through works ok with any old audio format - DD, DD+, DTS, you name it. But not with hi res audio formats. I'm not sure if the physical connection is messed up but interestingly when all 3 devices are ON (NUC, AVR and TV) in my audio devices I don't see AVR, but only the TV!
However, when I turn off the tv, and connect through remote desktop to NUC from my laptop, the audio device immediately switches do AVR, and guess what HD audio works! So in theory hd audio pass through as such 'works', just not when the TV is ON... Useless;(
Obviously, once the TV is back ON, the audio device switches back from Yamaha to LG TV and hd audio stops playing. To be clear there is no way to chose between the above devices as only a single device is displayed at any given time. I always use Wasapi HDMI in Kodi as 'direct hdmi' only streams pcm sound.

I tried all settings I could think of on my avr but with no success. Is my setup incorrect? Is the type of hdmi cable version relevant?

I'm really interested how did you guys set up your NUCs (on Windows) with AVR with working HD audio. If i won't make it work, I'm considering returning it as HD audio was one of the reasons I got the nuc in the first place.
Many thanks for help in advance.
@nivepl, can't see how you configured your W10 or Kodi audio settings, but if you can life with a alternative "solution" with your current setup, maybe I have one?

Use both the HDMI 2.0a and USB-C (DP1.2) connection? One directly to your TV and for video only, one directly to the receiver and for audio only. This can be configured as such.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2019-03-18, 23:58)p750mmx Wrote: @nivepl, can't see how you configured your W10 or Kodi audio settings, but if you can life with a alternative "solution" with your current setup, maybe I have one?

Use both the HDMI 2.0a and USB-C (DP1.2) connection? One directly to your TV and for video only, one directly to the receiver and for audio only. This can be configured as such.
Can you explain in more details how should the actual physical connection look like? What to connect to what and with what cable?Wink
(2019-03-19, 00:44)nivepl Wrote:
(2019-03-18, 23:58)p750mmx Wrote: @nivepl, can't see how you configured your W10 or Kodi audio settings, but if you can life with a alternative "solution" with your current setup, maybe I have one?

Can you explain in more details how should the actual physical connection look like? What to connect to what and with what cable?Wink 
It seems almost obvious?

- Port HDMI2.x video out to TV HDMI in
- Port USB-C to HDMI (cable) = audio out to receiver HDMI in

Select under Windows video settings > LG TV (HDMI) as main screen
Select under Windows audio settings > RX-A2060 (USB-C) for audio out
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
Ok, clear. Yeah, that could do the trick but I'll lose "all sources in one output" functionalitySad
Switching between Kodi and for example PS4 would require using TV remote to switch between HDMI ports back and forth.
(2018-12-28, 14:05)Platypus2 Wrote: Haven’t had any problems with hd audio passthrough on windows with mpc.

I don’t think it’s working (very well) on the latest libreelec beta, at least it hasn’t the few times I’ve tried it. Will look into it more now I have windows sorted.

I'm more interested how the above was achieved? And whether 'audio passthrough on windows' actually means hd audio, not standard dd/dts. Anyway, thanks @p750mmx for the tip. I might consider it as a last call resort but for now I'd like to explore other options.
(2019-03-19, 21:04)nivepl Wrote:
(2018-12-28, 14:05)Platypus2 Wrote: Haven’t had any problems with hd audio passthrough on windows with mpc.

I don’t think it’s working (very well) on the latest libreelec beta, at least it hasn’t the few times I’ve tried it. Will look into it more now I have windows sorted.

I'm more interested how the above was achieved? And whether 'audio passthrough on windows' actually means hd audio, not standard dd/dts. Anyway, thanks @p750mmx for the tip. I might consider it as a last call resort but for now I'd like to explore other options.

What did you want to know? It’s using madvr and mpc. With Kodi as the front end.

Yes it’s definitely passing through HD audio.
Dear Friends

I would like to buy Intel NUC i3-8109U M.2 BOX (BOXNUC8i3BEK2). I would like to ask some questions:

1. There will be Windows 10. I own Onkyo TX-NR686 (HDMI supporting HDR10, HLG, Dolby Vision, BT.2020, 4K/60 Hz pass-through, and HDCP 2.2) and TV 4K HDR. My question is, when I will connect NUC via it's HDMI port to Onkyo HDMI port, will I have 2160p60 10bit HDR?
2. How is LPSCON works? Do I need to buy adapter DP to HDMI to use HDMI 2.0? Connect it do DP port and then from adapter HDMI port to Onkyo HDMI port?
3. Connecting via HDMI port of NUC to my Onkyo and using MPC-HC with LAV Filters and MadVR or using the latest version of Kodi will have audio passthrough like Dolby Atmos and DTS:X?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely
UTAVATU
(2019-03-18, 23:39)nivepl Wrote: I didn't want to start a new thread as I hope getting help here. I'm loosing my mind trying to tame HD audio pass through on my set up. But first things first.
I got NUC8i3BEH. It is used among others primarily as kodi htpc (kodi v.18). I cannot use libreeelc as I need other software that is only available on windows running in the background. Im running Win10. So far the nuc box has been working fantastic and meets ALL my expectations, except one - a big one for me - no hd audio pass through;(
My set up is as follows: NUC is connected through hdmi to Yamaha RX-A2060 avr and then through HDMI to an old LG plasma screen. Pass through works ok with any old audio format - DD, DD+, DTS, you name it. But not with hi res audio formats. I'm not sure if the physical connection is messed up but interestingly when all 3 devices are ON (NUC, AVR and TV) in my audio devices I don't see AVR, but only the TV!
However, when I turn off the tv, and connect through remote desktop to NUC from my laptop, the audio device immediately switches do AVR, and guess what HD audio works! So in theory hd audio pass through as such 'works', just not when the TV is ON... Useless;(
Obviously, once the TV is back ON, the audio device switches back from Yamaha to LG TV and hd audio stops playing. To be clear there is no way to chose between the above devices as only a single device is displayed at any given time. I always use Wasapi HDMI in Kodi as 'direct hdmi' only streams pcm sound.

I tried all settings I could think of on my avr but with no success. Is my setup incorrect? Is the type of hdmi cable version relevant?

I'm really interested how did you guys set up your NUCs (on Windows) with AVR with working HD audio. If i won't make it work, I'm considering returning it as HD audio was one of the reasons I got the nuc in the first place.
Many thanks for help in advance.

Is your AVR configured for audio passthrough to your TV?  I've had some issues with HDMI audio in the past where this setting has caused connected devices to drop back to stereo PCM only (as they see the TV capabilities passed-through over EDID as the only capabilities, rather than also recognising the additional EDID block added via the AVR)  If I disabled audio passthrough to the TV, the connected device always appeared happy.
(2019-06-06, 09:50)noggin Wrote: Is your AVR configured for audio passthrough to your TV?  I've had some issues with HDMI audio in the past where this setting has caused connected devices to drop back to stereo PCM only (as they see the TV capabilities passed-through over EDID as the only capabilities, rather than also recognising the additional EDID block added via the AVR)  If I disabled audio passthrough to the TV, the connected device always appeared happy.

Further to this from looking at the manual https://europe.yamaha.com/files/download..._En_C0.pdf what you need to check (from pages 140/141) is that

HDMI Control is set to Off

HDMI -> Audio Output -> Amp is set to On

HDMI -> Audio Output -> HDMI OUT1 / OUT2 are set to Off
What am I doing wrong? I recently got an nuc8i3 and this week got a new Vizio PX75-G1. When I use the builtin netflix app and play 4k hdr content it looks great. When I run Windows on it and set Windows to HDR mode it looks like crap. Literally the non-HDR desktop looks more amazing. Next problem I have is even when I turn on Kodi with windows set to HDR mode the tv is reporting its still running in HDR10 mode. I thought going into a non-HDR app was suppose to put it into SDR mode and then when you quit Kodi it goes back into HDR mode. I followed most of this guide https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=209596 (I stopped where you start doing the post-processing settings, basically I ended after I set MadVR to passthrough HDR to the display). Decided to fire up Kodi and not convinced anything is working. When I leave windows in SDR mode it doesn't switch to HDR mode when playback starts and when I have windows in HDR mode the picture looks washed out.
Dear Friends

I own display and receiver with HDMI 2.0b capable of 4K@60 HDR 10 bit 4:2:0 with audio HD decoders like Dolby Atmos, DTS:X. I'm interested in Intel NUC8i3BEK, I would like to use it as HTPC:

1. Netflix with 4K HDR Dolby Atmos

2. YouTube 4K@60 HDR

3. Playing .mkv files with MPC-HC + madVR + LAV Filters or Kodi - [email protected] HDR 10bit 4:2:0 Dolby Atmos, DTS:X passthrough

I would like to ask, if Intel NUC8i3BEK with latest version of Windows 10 Pro will be able to play smooth without frame drops and stutter in above cases? Will there be 10bit, I heard there is a problem over @30?

Thank you in advance for your help and support.

Sincerely
UTAVATU

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel Coffee Lake (NUC)2