The Sony Android TV Experience (ATV2/XF9005)
I am currently testing a Sony BRAVIA KD-65XF9005. A respective review can be found here. It is mainly about Sony's integration of Android TV in ATV2 based products, therefore applying to all BRAVIA sets released after mid-2016.

Things didn't change in a dramatic way compared to Sony's ATV1 platform (2015 and early 2016 models), suffering more or less from the same shortcomings and bugs.
Very good article. Shows me, that Sony didn't do their homeworks. Nothing changed in comparison to the XD-Series.

Therfore Kodi on a Sony TV is more or less not useable and my Shield will be still alive.
Wait, so no gigabit ethernet connection on it? A "high end" TV?
No Gigabit... Those TVs are meant to play Netflix and Prime 4K Streams.
Thank you for the thorough review. I have a receiver which supports all formats (Dolby TrueHD, Atmos, DTS X) and seeing that nothing has been fixed since I bought my Philips 43PUS6501, I realized there's no real reason to buy the ATV2 platform.
It's really concerning that there's still no 60fps to 50Hz conversion without stuttering. Do you know if Tizen or WebOS TVs have gigabit, or if they suffer form the same stuttering problems?
I'm thinking of getting a Tizen or WebOS SmartTV and a nVidia Shield which, from what I'm reading, supports a bunch of features including 7.1 passthrough.
Quote:It's really concerning that there's still no 60fps to 50Hz conversion without stuttering.
You mean refresh rate switching, right?

Even with the display refreshing at 60Hz and the deinterlacer only doing half motion, the result is quite pleasing on the Sony with some Motionflow engaged when playing interlaced PAL, much better than with any other half motion deinterlacer/motion interpolator I have ever seen before.

Quote:I realized there's no real reason to buy the ATV2 platform.
Sony is already using "ATV3" in their Master Series (AF9/ZF9), see here. ATV2 is almost 3 years old. No point in updating to that anymore, and has probably never been. The processor is just slow and it leaves to be seen whether MediaTek/Sony/Philips will move to Project Treble on that platform with Oreo (which Sony/MediaTek at least did for ATV3). Otherwise the future does not look too bright for ATV1 (MT5890) and ATV2 (MT5891).

Philips still uses MT5891 (ATV2) on their latest OLED803/903.

Quote:and a nVidia Shield which, from what I'm reading, supports a bunch of features including 7.1 passthrough.
A box is probably a better solution as it uses the HDMI forward channel to output audio rather than the return channel (ARC/eARC). Even though first TVs with eARC are slowly surfacing, I wouldn't trust their capabilities with respect to passthrough via apps, see current Sony and Philips TVs.
I'll stick to my Philips 43PUS6501 until next year, and then we will see what happens. Hopefully the new ATV3 platform will be better in adopting the Android native APIs for sound and video.
Some initial feedback suggests that refresh rate switching is still not supported on Sony with ATV3. As for passthrough, they seem to have added support for DTS (ARC) and DTS-HD (eARC). Dolby TrueHD is not supported and there is no feedback on multi-channel PCM yet.
Smile 
Hi,

my first post here... I started fiddling with Kodi and I quite like what I see so far. Primarily it will be used as a media server, I have NAS and another external HDD with loads of old movies that I want Kodi to keep in it's library. Everything is on my home network connected with ethernet cables.

I have a Sony Bravia KD-55XE9305 TV set on Android 7 (hence my post here in this thread) and my question is simple:

Do I keep Kodi installed on the TV?
-or-
Do I want Nvidia Shield to run Kodi? 

What do I gain with Nvidia shield? How will combination Sony Bravia - Nvidia shield - Kodi work? I've read tons of posts, reviews and such and I am only more confused. 

Thanks! Smile
Quote:Do I keep Kodi installed on the TV?
-or-
Do I want Nvidia Shield to run Kodi? 
If everything works for you, then you won't need a SHIELD Wink .

Quote:What do I gain with Nvidia shield? How will combination Sony Bravia - Nvidia shield - Kodi work?
BRAVIA will be a dumb display afterwards. Everything will run off the SHIELD, so Android TV, apps and stuff. SHIELD is much faster and less buggy. Audio output via ARC is a major pain on BRAVIA. This is where SHIELD shines. It can also do refresh rate switching and stuff.
(2018-11-21, 11:23)CiNcH Wrote: BRAVIA will be a dumb display afterwards. Everything will run off the SHIELD, so Android TV, apps and stuff. SHIELD is much faster and less buggy. Audio output via ARC is a major pain on BRAVIA. This is where SHIELD shines. It can also do refresh rate switching and stuff. 
Thought so, thanks a lot! It's discounts time, so I'll open my wallet as it seems. Smile
Did you get to test the new XG9xxx series?
No. I don‘t have a model based on new UR1/UR2 platform. Beware that X900G is still based on ATV2/ATV3 with MT5891 chipset.
https://www.displayspecifications.com/en/model/e56c1874

Here it says it's MT5893 A73 based.
Well, I bought the 49XG9005 and I can confirm that the CPU is MT5891, 1.5Gb RAM and it's reported wrong on the website above.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The Sony Android TV Experience (ATV2/XF9005)1