Looking for a new TV box
My Requirements :
* 1080p offline Video playback From NAS and/or USB HDD
* Streaming Live TV from Vu+ Enigma2 receiver on the local network ( Live OTA TV deinterlacing required )
* Ethernet port or 5GHz wifi
* Optional: Dual boot LibreELEC if possible.

I have a Mibox but after the oreo update its unusable + it couldn't stream from the Enigma2
now I'm considering the Mecool M8S Pro L, will it fulfill my short requirements list? Is there a better option to consider?
Thanks
Here's a good startng point:
https://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916
Denon X6500H 7.2.4 -> LG OLED65C9P
Main:
NVIDIA Shield Pro (2019)
Other Devices: Apple TV 4K, FireStick 4K Max (2023), Homatics Box R 4K
Retired devices: Zidoo X9S, Xiaomi Mi Box, All the old RPi’s
of course I did read it, many times actually.

it says under Live OTA TV & High Quality deinterlacing
Ordered from best deinterlacing picture output quality to the worst.
AMLogic based boxes are at number 3 and number 4 Nvidia shield which has deinterlacing problems

i don't know if it will work fine or work with stuttering or have major issues .. so i asked here.
Forget about using any Android Kodi Krypton or Leia for deinterlacing on AMLogic devices, it's broken and outputs half motion deinterlacing with combing picture artifacts.

Android Kodi Krypton deinterlacing is broken on all platforms as well. On the Shield you have to use Kodi Leia Alpha releases.

The most reliable high quality deinterlacing will come from Intel Windows or LibreELEC/OSMC devices. Also the Apple TV 4K running MrMC.

I do not know much about Enigma but found this Add On:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Enigma-TV

The Android TV Nougat OS 7.1.2 equipped MECOOL Pro L with voice remote I believe has Dual Band AC WIFI with the necessary L1 DRM and Microsoft Playready for 1080p Netflix and Prime Video. You would use LibreELEC on it for high quality deinterlacing.

Be aware for dual boot Android / LibreELEC you want a USB dongle WiFi (voice) remote. The MECOOL Bluetooth remotes will not work in LibreELEC.
Do careful research would be my suggestion before buying.

The following video shows the difference:

Quote:Android Kodi Krypton deinterlacing is broken on all platforms as well. On the Shield you have to use Kodi Leia Alpha releases. 
what about SPMC on AMLogic + Android ( Mecool M8S Pro L )

Yes that would work. It would have to be SPMC 16.7.x as that still has Amcodec hardware decoding and hardware deinterlacing.
I bought used Minix Neo U1 for 60€, it could work for you.
Not sure about point 2 (streaming live TV), but it will work for other 3 points.
Libreelec dual boot works perfectly, using NAS as well.
Playback is fine, but not perfect. Not sure why, but simetimes there is a fps drop during watching, like once every few minutes there is 5fps instead of 24fps for few seconds.
It's like that with 50% of movies.  I tried frame rate sync on/off, but can't say yet if it helps or not. When ON, playback is smoother, that's for sure.
(2018-08-01, 01:50)wrxtasy Wrote: Forget about using any Android Kodi Krypton or Leia for deinterlacing on AMLogic devices, it's broken and outputs half motion deinterlacing with combing picture artifacts.

Android Kodi Krypton deinterlacing is broken on all platforms as well. On the Shield you have to use Kodi Leia Alpha releases.

The most reliable high quality deinterlacing will come from Intel Windows or LibreELEC/OSMC devices. Also the Apple TV 4K running MrMC.

I do not know much about Enigma but found this Add On:

https://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:Enigma-TV

The Android TV Nougat OS 7.1.2 equipped MECOOL Pro L with voice remote I believe has Dual Band AC WIFI with the necessary L1 DRM and Microsoft Playready for 1080p Netflix and Prime Video. You would use LibreELEC on it for high quality deinterlacing.

Be aware for dual boot Android / LibreELEC you want a USB dongle WiFi (voice) remote. The MECOOL Bluetooth remotes will not work in LibreELEC.
Do careful research would be my suggestion before buying.

The following video shows the difference:

Do you have experience with this device? I have been researching for a Android TV / Libreelec dualboot solution but haven't found anything proper about this one. I need 4k HDR playback from HDD, HDMI CEC and Refresh Rate Switching, while having the option to watch HD Netflix on Android TV. Also, do I need to press the Reset Button everytime on the device if I want to boot my Libreelec from SDCard? Thanks.
You need to use a USB dongle receiver remote because Bluetooth remotes will not work in LibreELEC and re-pairing all the time when you switch the OS between Android and LE will be a major PITA. That's if a Bluetooth remote works at all with LibreELEC reliably.

Those USB receiver remotes emulate a Keyboard and that is why they work in both LE and Android.

If you do not care about Android device speed that much the MECOOL Pro W does dual boot, HD Netflix and already comes equipped with a USB dongle WiFi mini remote.
The faster MECOOL Pro L needs the above remote to dual boot and work.

You can speed up these S905W Android TV devices with a bit of simple DIY:

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...post738182

S905W's are actually pretty decent for the price paid for LE usage because with my LE releases you can clock the GPU MHz even higher to 792MHz
That makes a noticeable difference. If you are using Android a lot, then the faster Pro L is noticeably snappier due to a more advanced GPU.

No you do not have to hold down a power button to Dual Boot, in LE you simply select 'Reboot from Internal" to boot into Android, reboot Android and you are back in LE. It's all pretty easy. Smile

Thanks for the quick and precise answer. So once I installed Libreelec with the "Reset button" trick, it will boot it from SD by default when I turn on the device? And yes, I am looking for a snappy experience. I am on Rpi2 and want a good bang for the buck upgrade to play 4K HDR and 3D content smoothly with a snappy UI. The S905W won't suffice for me I think, thats why I am looking for a S912. So I can't use HDMI CEC (My TV's remote - not the bluetooth remote) with the Mecool M8S Pro L on Libreelec? That's one of the things I like about the RPi2. One remote for everything.
You can use user configurable HDMI-CEC with AMLogic LE, but Wireless remotes are far far snappier and quicker to use, no need to point the remote at the TV either and no line of sight infra red issues.

There is No 1080p 3D on AMLogic Hardware or for that matter the NVIDIA Shield or Apple TV's.

(2018-08-27, 18:38)wrxtasy Wrote: There is No 1080p 3D on AMLogic Hardware or for that matter the NVIDIA Shield or Apple TV's.
 Sure about that? Loks to me that playing 3D-MVC content is not supported with Kodi on Amlogic, only 3D-SBS and 3D-TAB.
3D-SBS and 3D-TAB are working on CoreElec.
Just looking for HSBS or HOU files I rip from my blurays. I don't store 50gb isos anyway because I don't have so much storage. So with CEC working I just need the info if it will default boot from SD once libreelec is set up.
(2018-08-27, 19:37)Sholander Wrote:
(2018-08-27, 18:38)wrxtasy Wrote: There is No 1080p 3D on AMLogic Hardware or for that matter the NVIDIA Shield or Apple TV's.
 Sure about that? Loks to me that playing 3D-MVC content is not supported with Kodi on Amlogic, only 3D-SBS and 3D-TAB.
3D-SBS and 3D-TAB are working on CoreElec. 

Yes - but aren't these HSBS and HTAB which will not be full 1080p resolution (wrxtasy was talking about 1080p 3D)? I don't think the platforms support FSBS and FTAB - so you end up with 960x1080 or 1920x540 resolution - neither of which are 1080p (They are output in 1080p but split across both eye feeds - so are half-1080p either horizontally or vertically)

For Full 1080p 3D output you really need support for a Frame Packed output mode - whether that is fed from a 3D MVC decoder or a 2D decoder capable of handling FSBS (3840x1080) or FTAB (1920x2160) content.
Stay away from the M8S for the following reasons:
  1. After screensaver activates a USB plugged directly into the device may disappear
  2. If you have a BlueTooth (BT) Keyboard, After screensaver activates the BT keyboard will act flaky
  3. If you have a BT Keyboard and the original controller picks up sounds, BT keyboard will act flaky
  4. There are known problems with the WiFi and BT chipset, see you tube video by reviewer Peter Carcione. 

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Looking for a new TV box0