Android Something is very wrong with the audio through Kodi on my Nvidia Shield
Nvidia Shield is connected to a Denon receiver via HDMI. Kodi is set for pass-through audio. When I play audio files, they sound awful. Check out the two spectrum graphs below. They were made playing the same test tone file, with receiver set to the same volume level... top source is Kodi, bottom source is my OPPO bluray player. For weeks I was thinking something was wrong with my audio system. What is going on?

Just wondering, and it may be nothing, but... When did you get the Oreo update for the Nvidia Shield? Was the problem there before the update?
"passthrough" - post the log that made this sample, please. Audiotrack is a bitch, it does what it wants without any influence, but for passthrough we package the IEC frames ... therefore I highly wonder if this measurement really measured passthrough.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-08-02, 09:03)Klojum Wrote: Just wondering, and it may be nothing, but... When did you get the Oreo update for the Nvidia Shield? Was the problem there before the update?

I haven’t installed the update yet.
(2018-08-02, 21:43)fritsch Wrote: "passthrough" - post the log that made this sample, please. Audiotrack is a bitch, it does what it wants without any influence, but for passthrough we package the IEC frames ... therefore I highly wonder if this measurement really measured passthrough.

Pardon my ignorance, can you give me some advice on how to get and post the log files? Thanks!!
(2018-08-03, 06:21)elee532 Wrote: Pardon my ignorance, can you give me some advice on how to get and post the log files? Thanks!!
A debug log (wiki) (follow the instructions in the link please) is to be provided via a pastebin website near you, such as https://pastebin.com or https://paste.ubuntu.com .
https://paste.kodi.tv/ugicuwaweg
In your log the shield only plays 2 channel 44.1 khz that we decode decode and output in the best format Android supports it. Do you say that other players on Android "sound better"?
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-08-04, 07:50)fritsch Wrote: In your log the shield only plays 2 channel 44.1 khz that we decode decode and output in the best format Android supports it. Do you say that other players on Android "sound better"?

I’m saying the same 2 channel 44.1 track played on my OPPO Bluray player sounds much better.
I just noticed the following on line 1106 of that log file I posted:

21:03:00.757 T:137649742928 DEBUG: FactoryCodec - Audio: passthrough - Failed

Thoughts? Could this indicate the problem? Why would audio passthrough fail?
No, it's just misleading. You play wma file, this cannot be passthroughed (no Audiotrack support, no kodi support for that) Edit: and also no receiver playing this as passthrough track.
How does it sound with default Android Audio player?
(2018-08-04, 12:54)fritsch Wrote: How does it sound with default Android Audio player?

I wasn’t aware there was an Android Audio player. Where do I find this player? I’ll give it a try this weekend.
(2018-08-04, 12:52)fritsch Wrote: No, it's just misleading. You play wma file, this cannot be passthroughed (no Audiotrack support, no kodi support for that) Edit: and also no receiver playing this as passthrough track.

I never experienced this issue when I was running Kodi on a Windows PC. Is this because the Shield is an Android platform? Still, even without passthrough why do these audio files sound so horrible? Would converting from WMA to FLAC help?
On Android you are basically fucked as you only control only the stream up to the AudioTrack Sink. Before that the very same chain in kodi used as in Windows / Linux / etc. - all decoding is done by Audio Engine and ffmpeg (Some Android devices have own decoders - most suck - but I did not see them in your log). We add the decoded data (here floats) period after period onto the AudioTrack provided by Android. After that it does what it wants :-)

You can try flac, I don't think the sound will change though.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Something is very wrong with the audio through Kodi on my Nvidia Shield0