• 11(current)
[XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox
Jhcheslik Wrote:Well, to save you guys some time, I have included 2 settings from the XBMCWiki in a .zip file.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jtzn02tehm...rofile.zip

Don't EVER unzip it. Instead, in MeGUI, go to File and click Import Presets, and selected the .zip file you downloaded.

Thanks for this. This will make things easier on the newbs. I'll update the first post with this link if you don't mind.
JPSiemer Wrote:Thanks for this. This will make things easier on the newbs. I'll update the first post with this link if you don't mind.

Nah, I don't at all. Glad to help.

And I must say, your updated profile, for some reason, look better than the older one!

As of now, I'm starting to regret that I converted all of the AC3 to ACC... But then I just realized that I could just extract the .mp4 out of the .mkv and mux the orginial AC3. Big Grin

AC3 is the way to go you guys.
OK, have a question. I'm going to encode from a DVD that the aspect ratio is 2.35.

So when I click on suggested resolution it gives me 720 x 288. So looking at the chart, can I change that to 720 x 384 and use a max bitrate of 1331 so it matches up to whats on the chart? I tested that and it works as long as afterwards I use mkmerge to set to the correct aspect.

Just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.
gabbott Wrote:OK, have a question. I'm going to encode from a DVD that the aspect ratio is 2.35.

So when I click on suggested resolution it gives me 720 x 288. So looking at the chart, can I change that to 720 x 384 and use a max bitrate of 1331 so it matches up to whats on the chart? I tested that and it works as long as afterwards I use mkmerge to set to the correct aspect.

Just want to make sure I'm doing this correctly.

Yes, you can go with any resolution, regardless of how stretched it appears, because the aspect ratio corrects this. So you are doing this correctly, however, you don't have to use MKVmerge afterwards to change the aspect. You see, whenever you load your AviSynth script into MeGUI you will get a preview box of your video... And at the bottom of the box you can click the "Show DAR" checkbox and mess with the aspect ratio in the dropdown box beside it.
JPSiemer Wrote:Yes, you can go with any resolution, regardless of how stretched it appears, because the aspect ratio corrects this. So you are doing this correctly, however, you don't have to use MKVmerge afterwards to change the aspect. You see, whenever you load your AviSynth script into MeGUI you will get a preview box of your video... And at the bottom of the box you can click the "Show DAR" checkbox and mess with the aspect ratio in the dropdown box beside it.

OK, thanks, reason I was using mkmerge to do this is for some reason when I click Show DAR and mess with the aspect it corrects the aspect in the preview but doesn't seem to take on my encodings. Maybe I'm missing a step after setting the aspect.

One other thing, when I try loading a 720p scene release into AviSynth script creater, it errors out telling me there is a Direct Show error, unable to render the file. You probably don't have the correct filters installed. I'm thinking I need to enable it in ffdshow decoder settings, but that doesnt make a difference. Maybe I need to restart megui but in the middle of an encode so will have to wait for that to finish in a few hours.
JPSiemer Wrote:Yes, you can go with any resolution, regardless of how stretched it appears, because the aspect ratio corrects this. So you are doing this correctly, however, you don't have to use MKVmerge afterwards to change the aspect. You see, whenever you load your AviSynth script into MeGUI you will get a preview box of your video... And at the bottom of the box you can click the "Show DAR" checkbox and mess with the aspect ratio in the dropdown box beside it.

Dang. I didn't think of that. So, what you say is that if I have something that's perfectly 16:9, (ie TV shows) and I have it a little bit stretched like 720 x 416, but once I load the .avs in MeGUI, all I need to do is to check DAR and change it to correct size?

Because the whole time I have been rolling with 720 x 400 for 16:9 videos... which leave very little black bar at top and bottom... Sad Its supposed to be 720 x 405...

Edited:: Okay, so I tried your method with a 7 minutes clip, and it doesn't work. The DAR doesn't change at all, but then I tried gabbott's method... I used mkvmerge GUI and merged it with this specific 720x279 resolution, and it worked! I'll do more testing.
gabbott Wrote:OK, thanks, reason I was using mkmerge to do this is for some reason when I click Show DAR and mess with the aspect it corrects the aspect in the preview but doesn't seem to take on my encodings. Maybe I'm missing a step after setting the aspect.

One other thing, when I try loading a 720p scene release into AviSynth script creater, it errors out telling me there is a Direct Show error, unable to render the file. You probably don't have the correct filters installed. I'm thinking I need to enable it in ffdshow decoder settings, but that doesnt make a difference. Maybe I need to restart megui but in the middle of an encode so will have to wait for that to finish in a few hours.

1. Might be a bug you encountered. You're not missing any steps...

2. Delete/Uninstall all codecs and codec packs from your computer (including Vista Codec Pack, Combined Community Codec Pack, etc). Then install Haali Media Splitter (http://haali.cs.msu.ru/mkv/), and FFDShow (http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles..._id=173941). That might do it for you...
Jhcheslik Wrote:Edited:: Okay, so I tried your method with a 7 minutes clip, and it doesn't work. The DAR doesn't change at all, but then I tried gabbott's method... I used mkvmerge GUI and merged it with this specific 720x279 resolution, and it worked! I'll do more testing.

Hmm... Ya, must be a bug in the current build. Has always worked for me in the past... I guess we're stuck with correcting this with MKVmerge until this problem is fixed.
If anybody is like me they want the x264 to work for the higher resolution?Well Blueray to xvid maybe a little bigger but the xbox plays mine without flaw.Look at the specs on this release...

Compression Format...: XviD

Burn Tested..........: YES

Stand-Alone DivX Player Tested...: YES

Audio/Video Info:

Audio Format.........: Dolby Digital
Audio Codec Required.: AC3
Audio Bitrate........: 448
Hz...................: 48,000
Channels.............: 6
Video Format.........: AVI
Resolution...........: 720x336
Video Bitrate........: 1,927
BPF..................: 0.332
Format Settings......: BVOP: YES | QPel: NO | GMC: NO
Frame Rate...........: 23.976
Original Source......: Blu-ray

or this...

Compression Format...: XviD

Burn Tested..........: YES

Stand-Alone DivX Player Tested...: YES

Audio/Video Info:

Audio Format.........: Dolby Digital
Audio Codec Required.: AC3
Audio Bitrate........: 448
Hz...................: 48,000
Channels.............: 6
Video Format.........: AVI
Resolution...........: 720x400
Video Bitrate........: 2,152
BPF..................: 0.312
Format Settings......: BVOP: YES | QPel: NO | GMC: NO
Frame Rate...........: 23.976
Source Format........: NTSC
Original Source......: Blu-ray
Rip Source...........: The Dark Knight 2008 720p BluRay x264-SiNNERS

When I say I get flawless playback and good quality I mean it.The quality is better than dvd5 and over half the size.I think release groups may pick up on this very soon.It breaks a few rules for file size and sometimes being a single file but all that can be worked around I am sure.
File size

1.45g on the first
2.76g on the second
Question...

I have access to a pretty big library of movies that a friend ripped using handbrake, I'm pretty sure that they are encoded with the h.264 codec as I have trouble playing almost all of them on my xbox. (I think they were ripped using the "apple TV" preset in handbrake, but I'm not sure) They are all in the .m4v format. Is there any program I can use to re-encode these? After reading through the wiki here it is only describing how to rip from a DVD.
The wiki also mentioned if your source is not a DVD. Reread step number 4 in the wiki and it mentions about if your source is not DVD. Basically there are a bunch of steps you can skip.
gabbott Wrote:The wiki also mentioned if your source is not a DVD. Reread step number 4 in the wiki and it mentions about if your source is not DVD. Basically there are a bunch of steps you can skip.

Thanks I see that now skip to step 7.
Rookie Wrote:If anybody is like me they want the x264 to work for the higher resolution? Well Blueray to xvid maybe a little bigger but the xbox plays mine without flaw.Look at the specs on this release...

When I say I get flawless playback and good quality I mean it.The quality is better than dvd5 and over half the size.I think release groups may pick up on this very soon.It breaks a few rules for file size and sometimes being a single file but all that can be worked around I am sure.

I'm not sure what you mean... Did you even read the wiki? You can EASILY achieve those same resolutions with x264 using my profile and the picture will look BETTER at much smaller bitrates AND play flawlessly.

And release groups have picked up on this. KingBen and Titan of Kingdom-RG already do this... nHaNc3 and NewArtRiot do aswell... and I've seen a couple others just recently within the last 2 weeks beginning to experiment with this. Of course, they all have a common disregard for standard scene filesizes, but that doesn't matter to me because I am not burning media to discs and using standalone players -- that would be a waste of time when you have XBMC!
Ok I've downloaded MeGui, and I open the AviSynth Creator and when I try to put a video file in the Input Video section, it just hangs or crashes every time. I've tried it several times, with several different files, ranging from .avi's to .mp4's and each time the program just shuts down. I'm using Vista Ultimate, any ideas?
  • 11(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox10