• 20(current)
[XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox
Thank you Jhcheslik. I just figured that out and came back to say never mind Smile I'm very happy to start watching much better quality.
That's good to know! Smile
Okay, I try everything and keep on coming back to MeGUI. I really get very good results. A 4GB 1280x544 720p MKV file converts to 1GB MKV file using the XBox Hi Res Profile. I haven't tried playing it on the XBox yet. The reason is that I get NO SOUND !!!

I tried on XP instead of Vista, thinking Vista was the issue. Can someone please help me. Media Player Classic plays Video, but no Audio. VLC will not even play the file. What's going on?
rashid420 Wrote:Okay, I try everything and keep on coming back to MeGUI. I really get very good results. A 4GB 1280x544 720p MKV file converts to 1GB MKV file using the XBox Hi Res Profile. I haven't tried playing it on the XBox yet. The reason is that I get NO SOUND !!!

I tried on XP instead of Vista, thinking Vista was the issue. Can someone please help me. Media Player Classic plays Video, but no Audio. VLC will not even play the file. What's going on?

Good that you are coming back to MeGUI. Stay away from crappy software like VideoFab... those kind of programs should never exist because they give people a false belief that they are any good at what they do.

Anyways, you will need to provide more information if you want anyone to help you. It sounds like you do not have an audio track. Check your file with MediaInfo and let us know. If there is a track present, then you are having an issue with one of your codecs you have installed.
punkjumper1 Wrote:I've followed the wiki and the files play great on my xbox but the ac3 sound is only encoding to 2 channel. When played on the xbox in the audio settings it shows "ac3 mono" as the audio source. I have digital sound selected in the xbmc settings.

I'm starting with a 6 channel scene rip and following the settings from the wiki I choose "Aften AC3" (I've also tried FFmpeg ac3) and in the config box I use "keep original channels".

I verified the source as 6 channel with MediaInfo.
any ideas on what I might be doing wrong with MeGUI?

I had this problem a while back. I thought it was a bug, but I found out that this is an issue with my audio codec's mixer. You are most likely using FFDShow or AC3Filter, right? The mixer is only outputting 2 of the 6 channels. Turn the mixer off and then reencode. When you first start the encode, you can check and see if MeGUI is being sent 2 or 6 channels by analyzing the Log tab and looking at the Audio section.
I would also like to add that in my initial tests with the xBox264 profile, many of my MP4's had serious playback/seeking issues. This was most likely a XBMC bug and has probably been fixed by now, so technically, I don't see any problem with using MP4 (as it is more compatible with other devices), but like Jhcheslik pointed out, MKV is just so much more flexible and I personally wouldn't use anything else.

On a side note, DivX now is officially using MKV in their H.264 offering, which means we might start to see MKV support on more devices in the near future.
JPSiemer Wrote:I had this problem a while back. I thought it was a bug, but I found out that this is an issue with my audio codec's mixer. You are most likely using FFDShow or AC3Filter, right? The mixer is only outputting 2 of the 6 channels. Turn the mixer off and then reencode. When you first start the encode, you can check and see if MeGUI is being sent 2 or 6 channels by analyzing the Log tab and looking at the Audio section.

thanks! I'll give that a try.
JPSiemer Wrote:Good that you are coming back to MeGUI. Stay away from crappy software like VideoFab... those kind of programs should never exist because they give people a false belief that they are any good at what they do.

Anyways, you will need to provide more information if you want anyone to help you. It sounds like you do not have an audio track. Check your file with MediaInfo and let us know. If there is a track present, then you are having an issue with one of your codecs you have installed.

I opened the converted file with Media info. You are right. I don't see an audio track. The only thing I did was changed 64-bit MP3 audio to 129-bit MP3 audio, thinking I would get better sound. That's the only thing I changed in the default XBox HiRes profile. Where did I go wrong?

Needless to say, the original MKV file indeed have audio. How do I know? Because I can hear it :-) It's got AC3 audio. It selected Aften AC-3: *scratchpad by default, so I used that for encoding. I'm going to try selecting FFMPeg AC3 and see if it makes a difference. After all XBox can play AC3 right? I should never have picked MP3.

OKAY NOW THIS IS RIDICULOUS. The MKV file created by MeGUI refuses to have an audio track in it. WTF?
rashid420 Wrote:OKAY NOW THIS IS RIDICULOUS. The MKV file created by MeGUI refuses to have an audio track in it. WTF?

Okay.

Let make sure you are following the guide.

1. I leave blank in audio because I wanted to use the original audio. You should try that to test to make sure MKV is working properly. Then I click AutoEncode. (I am encoding a TV shows ripped from DVD)

2. Then I make sure it is set at MKV and checked box for "additional content" and click Queue.

3. Now for this part, I just point it to audio and the subtitles I wanted to be part of the MKV container. Then I click GO. That is it.

Now in your case, I'm guessing you don't want to re-encode the whole frinking video, right?

So, go to... Tools > Muxers > MKV Muxer

And basically do the same, point to wherever all of the files is. Video, Audio, and subtitle if you want, and click Queue.
Jhcheslik Wrote:Okay.

Let make sure you are following the guide.

1. I leave blank in audio because I wanted to use the original audio. You should try that to test to make sure MKV is working properly. Then I click AutoEncode. (I am encoding a TV shows ripped from DVD)

2. Then I make sure it is set at MKV and checked box for "additional content" and click Queue.

3. Now for this part, I just point it to audio and the subtitles I wanted to be part of the MKV container. Then I click GO. That is it.

Now in your case, I'm guessing you don't want to re-encode the whole frinking video, right?

So, go to... Tools > Muxers > MKV Muxer

And basically do the same, point to wherever all of the files is. Video, Audio, and subtitle if you want, and click Queue.

My AUDIO is in my MKV file. Do I need to extract Audio first? What I've been doing is using "Tools" to create an AVISynth script, then select profile, Queue, then start. I'm a little confused with your example. But I'll give it a shot soon.

Thanks.
rashid420 Wrote:My AUDIO is in my MKV file. Do I need to extract Audio first? What I've been doing is using "Tools" to create an AVISynth script, then select profile, Queue, then start. I'm a little confused with your example. But I'll give it a shot soon.

Thanks.

AH! Right, if your audio is in your MKV file, just point it to MKV itself! (for audio selection)

MeGUI will extract the audio from THAT MKV and put it in the NEW MKV container.

AVISynth only make a script for the video itself, it does not extract Audio.
Jhcheslik Wrote:AH! Right, if your audio is in your MKV file, just point it to MKV itself! (for audio selection)

MeGUI will extract the audio from THAT MKV and put it in the NEW MKV container.

AVISynth only make a script for the video itself, it does not extract Audio.

Okay I think that's been my problem all along then. I'm going to start over. I did download the XBox HiRes profile linked in the first post on this thread. It's been going on for near 11 hours now. So something's isn't right anyways.

Also I tried what you suggested, but I was not able to select the MKV file for audio. I'll try again. Thanks for your patience and help.
JPSiemer Wrote:I had this problem a while back. I thought it was a bug, but I found out that this is an issue with my audio codec's mixer. You are most likely using FFDShow or AC3Filter, right? The mixer is only outputting 2 of the 6 channels. Turn the mixer off and then reencode. When you first start the encode, you can check and see if MeGUI is being sent 2 or 6 channels by analyzing the Log tab and looking at the Audio section.

You lead me to fixing my issue. I opened ffdshow audio encoder and opened the mixer tab. in the output section it was defaulted to 2 channels. I changed the setting to 6 channel.
seems to work now.

I think the best thing is to start with an ac3 rip in the first place and then just use the original audio. but when I have some that have AAC I can change it to better suit the xbox.

thanks!
rashid420 Wrote:I did download the XBox HiRes profile linked in the first post on this thread. It's been going on for near 11 hours now. So something's isn't right anyways.

It will take a while. Depending on your computer CPU, it may take literally forever or really fast if you are on Quad-core.

Now, most importantly, if you finished encoding a video, don't delete it if audio doesn't work. We always can use THAT video track and try several way to mux audio in the container. (Save yourself some time from re-encoding!)
punkjumper1 Wrote:You lead me to fixing my issue. I opened ffdshow audio encoder and opened the mixer tab. in the output section it was defaulted to 2 channels. I changed the setting to 6 channel.
seems to work now.

I think the best thing is to start with an ac3 rip in the first place and then just use the original audio. but when I have some that have AAC I can change it to better suit the xbox.

thanks!

Do not change it to 6 channel, just disable the mixer. It's an extra bit of processing that you don't really need.
  • 20(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
[XBOX] HOW-TO encode videos in H.264 to be able to achieve playback on the Xbox10