5400 or 7200 for smooth playback of blu-ray rips?
Is 5400 rpm fast enough for smooth/uninterrupted playback of 1:1 blu-ray rips?
My NAS drives are 5400 rpm, no issues for streaming 4 BlueRay rips simultaneously.
it's not so much about disks rotation speeds, but more about data throughput rates. A decent 3.5" harddisk should have no problem with reading speeds of 40+MB p/s, even an 2.5" IDE notebook disk should still be able to do that.
Full Bluray discs have a peak video bitrate rate of 40Mb/s. The A/V stream (video + audio) has a peak data rate of 48Mb/s. The entire disc has a peak data rate of 54Mb/s.

This is just 5-7MB/s

A typical modern HDD - even 5400rpm - is rarely slower than 80MB/s, even on the worst part of the disc. Many HDDs are 200MB/s or more on the outer tracks.

So there is no problem.
I am constantly amazed with how many people have to ask 'Is X Media fast enough to read a full BluRay image/BluRay bitrate stream' when even the FASTEST Bluray reads slower than most any other contemporary storage medium like USB keys, HDDs, or SD cards.

An optical drive literally IS the 'Worst Case Scenario' for reading media, anything else will be superior in every way.
(2018-08-17, 19:55)DJ_Izumi Wrote: I am constantly amazed with how many people have to ask 'Is X Media fast enough to read a full BluRay image/BluRay bitrate stream' when even the FASTEST Bluray reads slower than most any other contemporary storage medium like USB keys, HDDs, or SD cards.

An optical drive literally IS the 'Worst Case Scenario' for reading media, anything else will be superior in every way.
Yes - precisely this.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
5400 or 7200 for smooth playback of blu-ray rips?0