Turning off HW, any disatvantage?
Hi, I have a spare PC that I would like to use watching only 1080p H.264 and VC-1 in, nothing fancy...  was planning on using Libreelec latest with Kodi 17.6
It has an I7 2600 CPU with intergrated Intel Graphics 2000 and 12GB ram.

Is there any disatvantage wathing 1080p movies with the HW acceleration(DXVA2) off?
Does it affect: farmedrops, stuttering, sound , choosing one over the other.

The main reason for asking is, I believe the CPU is way more powerfull to run 1080p movies in SW then the intergrated Intel Graphics 2000 is with HW on......

Just asking general question here, give me your thoughts, I will try both ways of course, but its always good to know what U all think.
Quote:The main reason for asking is, I believe the CPU is way more powerfull to run 1080p movies in SW then the intergrated Intel Graphics 2000 is with HW on......

Not really, but if you want to burn energy disable it :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
was just thinking the Intel Graphics 2000 is a poor GPU, maybee struggling with those 1080p 30hz files....
The i7 2600 will be around 20% CPU load(SW) at most..
HD2000 is good enought to decode any h264 level 4.1 or even level 5.1 high files. The only thing it is really bad is "scaling" but as your output is also only 1080p - not an issue. In short: plenty of choices - use what works better for you.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-08-12, 18:36)hundrakg Wrote: was just thinking the Intel Graphics 2000 is a poor GPU, maybee struggling with those 1080p 30hz files....
The i7 2600 will be around 20% CPU load(SW) at most..
 The IGP in the 2600 has a dedicated bit of hardware inside of it that does one thing and one thing only, decode and encode H.264 and some other kinds of video.  It's not actually part of the 'GPU' part of the GPU.  Video like h.264 has a lot of exactly specific levels and profiles, so long as the hardware decoder supports that level and profile it can decode ANY video stream that meets that or is below it.

However there are occasionally buggy or oddball encodes that don't work right under hardware and sometimes switching to software works around that but those are rare cases where for some reason a specific file decodes purely 'green'.  The HW decoding uses less energy and leaves the CPU free for other tasks.
thanks, will try with HW on and see how it goes......
just have to find a power supply for that PC first, then I will try

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Turning off HW, any disatvantage?0