v18 UHD ISO Playback Overexposed
Hey all

some weeks ago i updated my Win10 System to Kodi 18 becaue i wanna play UHD ISO Files in Kodi.

when playing a ISO file, the movie is kind of overexposed in the bright spots and very dark in the dark areas.
This problem only happens when i play UHD ISO Files, with normal BluRay ISO Files and mkv Files, everything is working fine.

i checked ym settiing in Kodi and also Windows, and i cant figure out why this happens.
Does anyone has a idea why this happens? Has this something to do with HDR?

My Hardware
Intel I7 4770K
Geforce 1050
SAMSUNG UE65KS8080

Thanks for your Feedback
If you display HDR content on non HDR capable displays (or using non HDR capable systems), you need tone mapping. Currently Kodi has one method for tone mapping implemented and the parameter is adjustable:

hello FernetMenta
Thanks for your reply, i already tried this one but with only a little success, the picture is getting better, but still far away from good.
is there anything else i can try? if i adjust the tone mapping the white is not as oversaturated as before, but the dark parts of the picture are getting even worse.
Do you have render method set to Pixel Shaders?
What reference do you compare against?
as far as i know the render method is set to automatic at the moment, but i will re-check this as soon as possible.
i compare it with a ISO in HD without HDR

Would it solve the problem to upgrade the Graphic Card to a 1050TI?
My TV is HDR capable
No it won't. Can you please post a picture of "how you want it looking" and how it looks like now, please.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2018-08-14, 08:31)Visuals Wrote: as far as i know the render method is set to automatic at the moment, but i will re-check this as soon as possible.
i compare it with a ISO in HD without HDR

When downscaling HDR to 8 bit, you lose information. There is no right or wrong, just different. Means your HD ISO does not necessarily serve as a master. Go to a TV shop and look around. Dozens of TV sets playing the same movie but you hardly find two where colors look identical.

Quote:Would it solve the problem to upgrade the Graphic Card to a 1050TI?

Not in this version of Kodi because it does not pass through HDR
it looks like the problem was with the render method which was set to Auto instead of Pixel Shader!

Here we have a comparsion of the settings from Iron Man 1

Original UHD ISO which is overexposed: (ToneMapping 1.0)

UHD ISO with ToneMapping 2.5

HD ISO on Auto:

Finally UHD ISO with Pixel Shader instead of Auto:
Yep from what I understand (which is not very much of the technical details) is that on Windows Kodi needs full control of the render path and that only happens when Pixel Shaders is manually selected. However my understanding could be completely wrong, the experts on these things are FernetMenta & fritsch and for the Windows implementation @afedchin.
Kodi Leia has now option "try10bitoutpit" via advancedsettings.xml for send 10 bits to display. Exist one second adjust, but I don´t have a precise idea how work (allowdiscretedecoder).  Maybe help in have better colors in your display. 

Code:
<advancedsettings>     
<video>  
  <allowdiscretedecoder>false</allowdiscretedecoder>
 </video>
  <try10bitoutput>true</try10bitoutput>    
</advancedsettings>
About try10bitoutput = added 10bit output if supported. Allow output 10bit videos without converting them to 8bit.
About allowdiscretedecoder = added the possibility to use a separate device for decoding (disabled by default). it allows avoiding lockups of device's context.
MediaBrazil forum Website - Youtube Channel
MQ9-1.6.0.29 - 09.15.2023 - Aeon MQ Skin Team
MarcosQui Website Donate and support us.
Thank you very much for your help. i will try to play a little bit with the option for 10bit.
(2018-08-14, 18:12)Wanilton Wrote: Kodi Leia has now option "try10bitoutpit" via advancedsettings.xml for send 10 bits to display. Exist one second adjust, but I don´t have a precise idea how work (allowdiscretedecoder).  Maybe help in have better colors in your display. 
Code:
<advancedsettings>     
<video>  
  <allowdiscretedecoder>false</allowdiscretedecoder>
 </video>
  <try10bitoutput>true</try10bitoutput>    
</advancedsettings>
About try10bitoutput = added 10bit output if supported. Allow output 10bit videos without converting them to 8bit.
About allowdiscretedecoder = added the possibility to use a separate device for decoding (disabled by default). it allows avoiding lockups of device's context. 
just curious...if I use the above I just get a black screen. Any one else having this?
The 10 bit setting is known to cause issues with some GPU's I believe hence why it's a an advanced setting and titled try10bitoutput.
(2018-08-21, 05:02)jjd-uk Wrote: The 10 bit setting is known to cause issues with some GPU's I believe hence why it's a an advanced setting and titled try10bitoutput.
 ok, thank you  ( i didnt see the try, but it makes sense)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
UHD ISO Playback Overexposed0