Does Kodi need access to Internet to run?
I've been looking at the debug log trying to see if I can locate an intermittent problem with audio stutter - no such luck yet.  However, I've noticed there seem to be a lot of references to web domains such as these:

INFO: easy_aquire - Created session to http://www.msftncsi.com
Closing session to https://raw.githubusercontent.com
Closing session to http://download.osmc.tv
CurlFile::Open(0x549d4390) https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Guilou...ns.xml.md5
INFO: easy_aquire - Created session to https://raw.githubusercontent.com
CCurlFile::Open - effective URL: <http://mirrors.dotsrc.org/osmc/osmc/download/kodi/addons/krypton/addons.xml.gz.md5>

and others.

Why are things like this needed?   I don't want to automatically check for updates prefering to do this manually.

Thanks for any help
I'm not really understanding most of the links you mention, as those are not used in Kodi itself.
As far as add-ons are concerned, you can turn off update checks for those via the Kodi Settings/System/Add-ons/Updates option.

(2018-08-14, 10:56)Gaspode Wrote: Why are things like this needed?
Does Kodi need access to Internet to run?
The short answer is no. However...

Sometimes updates are necessary or else functionality breaks. For example, every so often the add-ons for movie and/or tvshow scraping must be updated because of changing API keys. Without the latest API keys, you simply cannot scrape your videos anymore.
MSFTNCSI is used by Kodi to determine network connectivity.
download.osmc.tv provides Kodi repository updates
Your GitHub URL looks like a custom repository or add-on that isn't part of OSMC.

Sam
(2018-08-14, 18:31)Sam.Nazarko Wrote: Your GitHub URL looks like a custom repository or add-on that isn't part of OSMC.
The https : //raw.githubusercontent.com/Guilouz/repository.guilouz/master/_repo/addons.xml.md5 URL is likely for the Estuary MOD skin, afaict.
I checked settings and had Updates set to Notify but don't update, so that explains some of the internet connections. Now set it to Never and also stopped using extrafanart.

Not seeing any internet traffic now.

Thanks for your replies
I've discovered that Kodi/OSMC does need access to the Internet in order to keep the Time and Date current.  I'm ot really interested in that but not sure what other dependencies there are on the Time and Date.
(2018-09-16, 10:19)Gaspode Wrote: I've discovered that Kodi/OSMC does need access to the Internet in order to keep the Time and Date current.  I'm ot really interested in that but not sure what other dependencies there are on the Time and Date.
 It isn't Kodi or OSMC that requires an internet connection it is the Raspberry PI for the time.  An RPI does not have an onboard RTC and needs to update the time each time it starts.  Why don't you want Kodi to have access to the internet?
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
I'll split hairs and say that I know that the Pi doesn't have an RTC but its still OSMC/Kodi that's requesting the time not the Pi. Wink  Regardless.......

I don't stream anything off of the Internet and I have an aversion to automatic updates that unsettle a system that was working perfectly.  For instance previous to June 2018 no updates to OSMC or Kodi had been applied and things were working just fine apart from the infrequent tendency to lock up.  Somehow or other in June, OSMC got updated - maybe I pressed the wrong button, I can't recall - and from that moment on I had problems with audio stutters that I never had previously - I'm not alone with this problem.  The fix has been to roll back the Kernel of OSMC - which works for me.

I've checked all my settings to ensure that updates to OSMC/KODI/Add-ons are never applied.  Even so Kodi seems to want to make access to Last.FM, presumably to get Music Album info - which I don't really need.

Any Album or Video information I do outside of the PI/Kodi environment, so I really have no need of an internet connection.  I do need a network connection though but I can't find a global way of disabling access to the Internet - even in my router.  Any help with this would be appreciated.

I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Although a good many engineers  would say "if it ain't broke, it hasn't got enough features" Laugh
(2018-09-16, 18:30)Gaspode Wrote: I'll split hairs and say that I know that the Pi doesn't have an RTC but its still OSMC/Kodi that's requesting the time not the Pi. Wink  Regardless.......

I don't stream anything off of the Internet and I have an aversion to automatic updates that unsettle a system that was working perfectly.  For instance previous to June 2018 no updates to OSMC or Kodi had been applied and things were working just fine apart from the infrequent tendency to lock up.  Somehow or other in June, OSMC got updated - maybe I pressed the wrong button, I can't recall - and from that moment on I had problems with audio stutters that I never had previously - I'm not alone with this problem.  The fix has been to roll back the Kernel of OSMC - which works for me.

I've checked all my settings to ensure that updates to OSMC/KODI/Add-ons are never applied.  Even so Kodi seems to want to make access to Last.FM, presumably to get Music Album info - which I don't really need.

Any Album or Video information I do outside of the PI/Kodi environment, so I really have no need of an internet connection.  I do need a network connection though but I can't find a global way of disabling access to the Internet - even in my router.  Any help with this would be appreciated.

I'm a great believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".  Although a good many engineers  would say "if it ain't broke, it hasn't got enough features" Laugh
 Just unplug the ethernet cable or don't connect it to wifi, unless you need LAN connectivity.  What router do you have?
Quote: Just unplug the ethernet cable or don't connect it to wifi

That's what I've done but then I need to reconnect when I add files to it across the network.

It's an ancient Technicolor TG582n
AFAIK, OSMC ships with iptables, so you could use that to block all WAN traffic, whilst still having local connections.  If you really wanted to, you could set up an NTP server on another PC on your network for the rPi to grab the time from.
Code:
iptables -F
  Flush all the rules and start again.
Code:
iptables -A OUTPUT -o lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A OUTPUT -d 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -P OUTPUT REJECT

Allow the Pi to connect only to the loopback address and local networked stuff on 192.168.1.x  Reject all other attempted connections (so all WAN stuff is rejected)
Code:
iptables -A INPUT -i lo -j ACCEPT
iptables -A INPUT -s 192.168.1.0/24 -j ACCEPT
iptables -P INPUT DROP

Same for incoming data - localhost and local network only, drop everything else.  Make sure (doubly sure) that your local IP range is specified correctly.  It's a loooong time since I ran one of those routers and I really can't remember what it's default setting is.  Setting the wrong local lan will lock you out of the Pi and you'd have to re-flash the image.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Thanks for the reply but too convoluted really.  I found I can set up a firewall rule in the router but all I really want is a simple on/off solution and the easiest way is to unplug the ethernet cable.

Thanks again.
"Woof" said Gaspode.Big Grin

I love your user name BTW.
Talking's not a problem but try and use a keyboard with paws like mine.  And don't talk to me about iPads :-)
See https://osmc.tv/wiki/general/keeping-you...p-to-date/.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Does Kodi need access to Internet to run?0