Bug On pause, kodi freezes when buffer is full (trick increase buffer by sub3)
Hello,

When I put kodi on pause in live tv and it lasts more than 30 minutes kodi takes a few minutes then kodi freeze and stops working.

I noticed in the buffer folder of nextpvr that the file created after the pause was deleted after 4/5 file probably not to use too much space.  But then it misses the file that follows the pause.
It is missing the file live-tv-france 5-71536-5-2.ts
Did I make a configuration error?

I tested with "timeshisft mode" EPG Based and Time Based, but it seems to me that it is not taken into account on kodi?

I tested with NextPVR media center but you did not use the same method it seems to me. The pause of more than 30 minutes works with NextPVR media center.

I am on win10 1803
By default NextPVR's pause buffer is 20 minutes. When you're watching live tv in NextPVR's own UI, it's more graceful in it's handling of this buffering and resuming playback etc.

You can increase the buffer by tweaking a registry setting on your NextPVR machine. In HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\NPVR create a SlipSeconds=x (DWORD) setting. The default value if not specified is 1200 seconds (20 minutes).

(when streaming to Kodi it always uses NextPVR's 'time-based' mode, so that other setting you mention is ignored)
Thank you, I tried with a smaller value (480s) to see if I understood correctly, it works.
I put the buffer at 7200s. I will see later if all is well.

But would it be possible also on kodi, once we pause on the live instead of erasing the file after the pause ("live-tv-france 5-71536-5-2.ts"), delete the file "live-tv-france 5-71536-5.ts" and continue reading on the file "live-tv-france 5-71536-5-2.ts" and so on.
Unless it is already the case and my kodi is broken?
edit: or kodi force play as the buffer is over. It seems to me that WMC works like that.
(2018-08-18, 01:20)JulienDragz Wrote: But would it be possible also on kodi, once we pause on the live instead of erasing the file after the pause ("live-tv-france 5-71536-5-2.ts"), delete the file "live-tv-france 5-71536-5.ts" and continue reading on the file "live-tv-france 5-71536-5-2.ts" and so on.
Unless it is already the case and my kodi is broken?
edit: or kodi force play as the buffer is over. It seems to me that WMC works like that.
While you're watching live tv, it's continually recording, regularly switching over to a new file, and when it creates a 5th file, it deletes the oldest (and again and again). This is happening continuously, regardless of whether you've paused or not, effectively keeping the latest 20 minutes at all times.  

In NextPVR own player we force it to start playing when the buffer is full. Unfortunately the addon doesn't have that sort of control over Kodi, so your best bet there is to just set the buffer size to longer than you anticipate ever pausing. Like maybe an hour or something.
If a person does not wish to modify or do not know how to modify, Kodi will freeze after 20/30 minutes of rest.

I could make a request on the forum so that the NPVR addon can force the playing of kodi when the buffer is full?

Anyway thank you this solution I'm going for the moment.

But the bug is still there, it seems to me, had you tested with a shorter buffer and pause and resume playback when the first file is erased so for you frozen kodi? I may be the only one to have this bug?
(2018-08-18, 22:49)JulienDragz Wrote: But the bug is still there, it seems to me, had you tested with a shorter buffer and pause and resume playback when the first file is erased so for you frozen kodi? I may be the only one to have this bug?
I'm was already aware of the issue. A few people have noted it over the years. In reality it's a pain in the butt any time I have to make changes to the Kodi addon, particularly this type of stuff where I really have very limited control over how Kodi behaves. Personally I prefer to focus on the NextPVR side of things, where I can full control over how stuff behaves.
OK thanks anyway.
I do not want you to hurt your butt more than that. But it will be sad if this bug is never solved!
If a developing kodi goes through there, I would like to know if there is a possibility to fix it without too much pain?
There is some changes on this front in Kodi 18, so may be resolved in the near future.
I took your advice and set SlipSeconds to 7200. I really like the way kodi works with that setting. It's now behaving similarity to my satellite system which allows me to go back up to an hour while watching live tv.
Today I successfully went back nearly 2 hours with no problem using kodi. It would be nice if that could be a setting instead of having to use regedit to control the feature.
(2018-08-19, 22:18)sub3 Wrote: There is some changes on this front in Kodi 18, so may be resolved in the near future.
Could you elaborate?
This issue is very annoying when you encounter it, it would be great if it could be addressed properly rather than side-stepping the issue by changing the buffer size.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
On pause, kodi freezes when buffer is full (trick increase buffer by sub3)0