fast forward fails
I run Kodi 17.6 on a (new) Fire TV. I'm having problems when I replay videos recorded by my TVHeadend installation from Freeview. The videos (i.e. recorded TV programmes) play well but when I use fast forward, things start to go wrong. If I use 2x it doesn't seem too bad, but if I use 4x or anything faster then I start to experinece problems. When I hit play, the video often starts playing again from the beginning. That's very frustrating since I then need to use fast forward again to get back to where I was, and again it will fail. Once, the entire Fire TV crashed.

Has anybody seen anything like this? I don't know whether it is a problem with Kodi, Fire TV or TVHeadend. But TVHeadend plays videos via vlc on the linux box where it runs and doesn't suffer from any problems there. The network connection is wired ethernet, so I don't think there's any problems there.

Kodi on the linux box (also 17.6) doesn't behave in the same way. The left and right keys that it says to press for rewind or FF seem to move forward by a time step rather than play the stream faster.
I see some people have read my post but I've had no replies at all. Maybe my post is in the wrong place? It seems to me that this is more likely to be an issue with Kodi or with the Fire TV rather than with TVHeadend, so maybe my post should be moved to the Android forum? Pretty please and thank you.
Thread moved to the PVR and Live section.
Thanks for moving the thread. It doesn't seem to have attracted any more replies though Sad

I seem to have more general problems with Kodi on the Fire TV and they seem to be data-dependent. Some programmes play fine, while others give repeatable problems on the Fire TV that do not occur with Kodi on my linux box.

The fast forward causing restart from the beginning doesn't seem to occur with recordings from 'mainstream' channels, but does sometimes with other channels. Fast forward also causes jerky playback on some programmes.

There's another problem I've just had with a recording of the first episode of Bodyguard from BBC1HD. The playback starts and after a few seconds the audio stops and the screen blanks. I've let it play for a few minutes and nothing happens. I've tried winding forward ten minutes or so and playing from there but I just get a blank screen.

Kodi on my linux box plays the file perfectly. So it seems most likely to me that there is some bug related either to the environment of the Fire TV or to the particular build of Kodi available there that is different to the build available for my openSUSE Leap 15.0.
Hmm, I spoke too soon. Kodi on the linux box gets confused. The left and right arrows don't appear to skip as advertised. Instead the right arrow rewinds to the beginning. vlc plays the file just fine. Clicking the mouse on what I might call the 'play bar' moves the programme to the desired point and it continues playing from there, but the display indicates the position as 00:00:00 even as it plays.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
fast forward fails0