Best Radio App?
I am interested in people's opinions to what they consider, at present, the best radio addon?  (I have been a tune-in user through my phone for several years, but the tunein addon appears to not being updated at this point).
Hands down rad.io  .  I use .m3u files for local radio stations but for general radio use, (even though it's an old addon) this still works extremely well.
Learning Linux the hard way !!
Soma FM is great, if you just need music radio. Musical choices all over the map, and  - best of all - all commercial free. Because there's nothing more annoying than the radio apps which actually interrupt songs to play a goddamned commercial.
(2018-08-31, 20:54)black_eagle Wrote: Hands down rad.io  .  I use .m3u files for local radio stations but for general radio use, (even though it's an old addon) this still works extremely well.
 Thank you for your thoughts. Is there a good place that would give me some steps towards adding the local stations?
I use one called Radio, it is in the Kodi Repo.  I have never found a station it hasn't got and it has never failed to work.
HTPCs: 2 x Chromecast with Google TV
Audio: Pioneer VSX-819HK & S-HS 100 5.1 Speakers
Server: HP Compaq Pro 6300, 4GB RAM, 8.75TB, Bodhi Linux 5.x, NFS, MySQL
(2018-09-17, 15:36)clones Wrote:
(2018-08-31, 20:54)black_eagle Wrote: Hands down rad.io  .  I use .m3u files for local radio stations but for general radio use, (even though it's an old addon) this still works extremely well.
 Thank you for your thoughts. Is there a good place that would give me some steps towards adding the local stations?  
 Depends I guess how you want to go about it.  It's possible to add your local stations to that addon (there is a menu in there somewhere IIRC) or you can do like me, and cheat !!  The wife likes listening to radio a lot, but she's not good at navigating to addons and using them so I just wrote a load of .m3u files and added them to 'favourites'.  That way, she gets a list of stations to choose from, all with the correct logo's, names etc.  The only problem with this way is if the URL to the station changes - doesn't happen to me often, but I have just fixed the one for Absolute Classic Rock about 15 minutes ago Wink

Then there is getting the right URL in the first place.  The Rad.io addon does all of that for you and resolves everything so you don't need to go hunting for them.  You can, if you wish, just put Kodi into debugging mode and then pull them from the log and then use them in your own playlists, or you can go hunting on 'tinterweb to find the links.

For the UK, I tend to prefer radiofeeds.co.uk . They won't let you right click a link though to copy/paste it and in any case, they tend not to point straight at the stream-server.  I just open the link in vlc and then check the media info for the actual URL.

Couple of examples from my favourites.xml file.  The first calls the rad.io addon to play a station, the second opens a playlist in my userdata directory that points to the stream.  The playlists are shared over 4 machines using kodi's path substitution (as is the favourites file) and the rad.io addon is installed on all 4 as well, so updating anything on the main machine is automatically replicated to all the others.
Code:
~snip~
<favourite name="Planet Rock" thumb="http://static.rad.io/images/broadcasts/e2/d5/11524/t175.png">PlayMedia(&quot;plugin://plugin.audio.radio_de/station/11524&quot;)</favourite>
<favourite name="Absolute Radio Classic Rock" thumb="https://thumborcdn.acast.com/uHZxjtwu7KrJYv2iFNwSn0k3N8U=/1050x1050/smart/filters:quality(80)/podcast.timlradio.co.uk%2Fclassic_rock%2Fclassic_rock_lrg.jpg">PlayMedia(&quot;smb://192.168.1.50/userdata/absolutecr.m3u&quot;)</favourite>
~snip~

And the absolutecr.m3u playlist
Code:
http://live-absolute.sharp-stream.com/absoluteclassicrock.aac
Learning Linux the hard way !!
(2018-09-01, 00:29)Nostrodamus Wrote: Soma FM is great, if you just need music radio. Musical choices all over the map, and  - best of all - all commercial free. Because there's nothing more annoying than the radio apps which actually interrupt songs to play a goddamned commercial.
 Thanks for your thoughts Nostrodamus

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best Radio App?0